FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              356       357       end

Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

michaelwatkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

No need to compare the RX1 to anything else - it'd just be interesting to see it used to produce some distant landscape / cityscape shots from the RX1. Elsewhere most folks seem to be delighting in the close in performance or shooting absolutely everything at f/2.

I'm trying to get a sense for how the RX1's lens is going to perform for subjects with distant details with the camera focused at / near infinity, and also when using hyperfocal points both close in and farther out.

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:26 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Ok, a few more snaps from today, third one is at f5.6 mid distance. I will try some landscape later.
I will also download the latest ACR and work with RAW.

Copyright Wayne Seltzer 2012

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:38 PM
Vern Dewit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

michaelwatkins wrote:
I'm aching to see some distant landscape shots - tree line at the horizon 10 - 20km out sort of stuff - I don't expect the RX1 lens to compete with the ZM25 or ZM35/2 when pixel peeping at distant details but for prints and display would expect and hope that the result is not disappointing in comparison.

I'll get to these some time in the new year but around the holidays you're going to get a lot more "around-the-house" shots - just the nature of the timing with not as many folks going out to do landscape shooting around Christmas.

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:38 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I hear you - it's a busy time of year.

At least you frequently have sunshine in the winter Vern... that's one thing I miss about not travelling to Calgary for work every week. November and December are the worst around here on the gloomy rainy Wet Coast of Canada, and vitamin D doesn't brighten the sky.

My RX1 should be in my hands next week. Gloom or not I'll be out there.

Dec 13, 2012 at 01:56 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Wayne, nice samples, the Bokeh looks great from first two. transition looks very nice. I wonder how it will perform at mid distance in addition to infinity.
This is the problem of gear forum. With showcase of new fashion, I want get one as well.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:49 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Just unboxed mine and will try it out after work today. First impression is its a sweet camera. I think enthusiast should buy one or at least give it a try. It is expensive but once in your hands, you might forget about the price and enjoy the goodness of a decent lens in a full frame compact camera. AF is somewhat slow in low light but it locks accurately on the target, at least on my copy.

Dec 13, 2012 at 02:50 PM
briantho
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

joe88 wrote:
It is expensive but once in your hands, you might forget about the price and enjoy the goodness of a decent lens in a full frame compact camera.

Yeah right. The $2800 this camera costs in the US is expensive, but in Sweden the cheapest price atm is $3900!

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:08 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Wow, I didn't realize its that much more expensive over there! You are right, at $3,900 its about the price of a used Leica M9 over here, not exactly cheap.

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:25 PM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

The pictures are wonderful, I think I am going to see the Grand Canyon in a year or two. The trip that will coincide with buying a used RX1

Dec 13, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

wayne seltzer wrote:
Ok, a few more snaps from today, third one is at f5.6 mid distance. I will try some landscape later.
I will also download the latest ACR and work with RAW.

Absolutely stunning. How far was the subject distance in those first two?

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

I'm not sure why so many people want to compare this camera to others. There are no others. Sony has invented another market segment.

I personally think it's a pointless one, but then I thought the same thing when BMW invented the SUV Coupe (X6), and now EVERYONE is doing one. And the last photographic market segment Sony invented worked out pretty well.

Edited on Dec 13, 2012 at 04:13 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

briantho wrote:
Yeah right. The $2800 this camera costs in the US is expensive, but in Sweden the cheapest price atm is $3900!

$3900 US or EU? While things do cost more in Europe, its mostly due to that 19% VAT, not to mention cost of living, average income adjustments. Used gear prices reflect this too, where many listings end much higher in Europe than the US, because shoppers have more money.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:12 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Absolutely stunning. How far was the subject distance in those first two?

If not crop, most like within 0.5M.

Joe, congr! I am going to Sony store this weekend, hopefully can get a feel with it before any action.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:13 PM
joe88
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Raw support just released for LR4. The distortion correction factor in LR4 doesn't seem to correct as much as the jpegs with distortion correction enabled, but you do get less cropping with the raw files. Sony seems to have short changed us on the optics. It has the Zeiss rendering but they should have done a better job on the lens physically and not rely on software correction. ISO 6400 is very usable, at least for me.

SOOC jpeg

Adobe RAW, LR4 with slight output sharpening

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:22 PM
briantho
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Dudewithoutape wrote:
$3900 US or EU? While things do cost more in Europe, its mostly due to that 19% VAT, not to mention cost of living, average income adjustments. Used gear prices reflect this too, where many listings end much higher in Europe than the US, because shoppers have more money.

In Sweden the VAT is actually 25%. But... cameras like the NEX-7 is actually cheaper over here than in the US. It's the newest models that are always grossly overpriced. After a few months the price difference between US and EU is much smaller.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:22 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Lee Saxon wrote:
I'm not sure why so many people want to compare this camera to others. There are no others. Sony has invented another market segment.

I personally think it's a pointless one, but then I thought the same thing when BMW invented the SUV Coupe (X6), and now EVERYONE is doing one. And the last photographic market segment Sony invented worked out pretty well.

If it is made, they will come [if they like it]

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

briantho wrote:
In Sweden the VAT is actually 25%. But... cameras like the NEX-7 is actually cheaper over here than in the US. It's the newest models that are always grossly overpriced. After a few months the price difference between US and EU is much smaller.

I guess there are more serious photographers over there, driving up the price or at least willing to "overpay". How much is the Nex-7 new right now? Just curious.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:25 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

joe88 wrote:
Raw support just released for LR4. The distortion correction factor in LR4 doesn't seem to correct as much as the jpegs with distortion correction enabled, but you do get less cropping with the raw files. Sony seems to have short changed us on the optics. It has the Zeiss rendering but they should have done a better job on the lens physically and not rely on software correction. ISO 6400 is very usable, at least for me...

I actually prefer the SOOC in this comparison

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Dudewithoutape wrote:

It's not apples to apples. Because of the VAT and other taxes, there are a lot of out of pocket costs that US citizens have that are much less in other countries. I could buy a lot of Leica gear for the annual cost of my families' health insurance.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:44 PM
briantho
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony RX1, RX1R, RX1R II Image Thread

Dudewithoutape wrote:
I guess there are more serious photographers over there, driving up the price or at least willing to "overpay". How much is the Nex-7 new right now? Just curious.

I bought the NEX-7 new with kit lens a few weeks ago for $1100.

Dec 13, 2012 at 04:45 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.