Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              150      
       152              161       162       end

RX1(R) Image Thread

wayne seltzer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.151 #1 · p.151 #1 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Helena, how about a B&W version of Scandic? I think I might prefer that.
Sorry to hear you sold your RX1. I think it is only natural to have both RX1 and then an Interchangeable lens system like A7(r) or D800E like I have.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:39 PM
HelenaN
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.151 #2 · p.151 #2 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Helena, no matter wich camera you use, your talent is more important than the gear.

Thanks, how kind of you to say that!

The main reason for the planned switch is that I have found that I prefer 28mm for general walk-around (I have purchased a C/Y 28/2.8) and miss a built-in EVF. But, sometimes a fast 35mm is great to have and as far as I know there's nothing as good as RX1's lens for A7 yet.

wayne seltzer wrote:
Helena, how about a B&W version of Scandic? I think I might prefer that.
Sorry to hear you sold your RX1. I think it is only natural to have both RX1 and then an Interchangeable lens system like A7(r) or D800E like I have.

Good idea to go for B&W! I think I will give it a try later.

Sorry, I was unclear. Fortunately, I haven't yet sold it, so it's not too late to change my mind. It's just that it'd feel extravagant to have both, but if others do maybe I can too. At least until I'm completely sure about what to do.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:46 PM
Nick Dakota
• •
p.151 #3 · p.151 #3 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Lieutenant Z wrote:
Helena, no matter wich camera you use, your talent is more important than the gear.

Helena is very talented and could produce great shots with a disposable. And I for one am a proponent of content over quality wins the majority of time. That being said, there are tools for every job, not just in a creative context. Talking about photograghy though, some cameras just help you convey your artistic vision better than others. It's a weird thing. I tried the Fuji X100s and the XT1. I sold my RX1 for that endeavor. It didn't fit me for some reason. Went running back to the RX1. I was happy with the Fuji's but wasn't wowed. The RX1 is able to produce that wow more often than not for me. A long while ago I had the same relationship with the original 5D and 35L. But like you said about Helena, she consistently produces amazing results with a multitude of cameras. And that is the result of talent over gear.

Helena, my wife shoots an A7 so I have processed her images at the same sitting along with my RX1 on our mutual adventures. At the 35 focal length the A7 isn't there for me. Everyone has their styles, but I shoot wide in the 28-35 range. I have a GR and an RX1. With what's out there, that's all I need. They are very different cameras and compliment themselves perfectly IMO.

Regardless, your pictures are amazing and I always look forward to seeing them.

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:49 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.151 #4 · p.151 #4 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Lieutenant Z wrote:

+1

i do have both the rx1 and a7 though as my main cameras. i find them to be good compliments, but i suspect i use them differently than you would. the rx1 is my main 35mm lens because it's the best 35mm i've ever seen, but it's also my goto camera for shooting people or traveling light. i find it to be much less obtrusive than the a7 for shooting people (looks like a p&s and is silent). the a7 i use mainly for when i need to shoot faster moving subjects (evf and manual focus is better on the a7) and to play with my various older manual focus lenses for their unique looks (i've not really been sold on the looks of any of the AF lenses for it).

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:50 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.151 #5 · p.151 #5 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Nick and sebboh, so nice of you to say that. Thank you!

What tipped me over was that A7 was on sale for only 75% of the regular price (which in itself is a good price compared to half a year ago). If it doesn't work out I should be able to sell it with little or no loss, at least if I don't wait too long. The plan is to use A7 with a couple of quality MF lenses for dedicated photo outings.

Nick, I too used to really enjoy my 5D and 35L. Sometimes I miss those days.
And GR is a fantastic little camera! It's just that for certain kind of shots I miss the "FF smoothness" and thought I wanted to try out 28mm on a FF camera. We'll see how it goes.

sebboh, good points! I'll hang on to RX1 a while longer then. Better to do that than to sell it and then maybe regret it.

Aug 03, 2014 at 06:14 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.151 #6 · p.151 #6 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Since this is a picture thread, here's one from last year:

Aug 03, 2014 at 06:26 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.151 #7 · p.151 #7 · RX1(R) Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Forget-me-nots:

http://www.helenasphotography.com/keep/2014/20140802_011_rx1b.jpg

Hmm... I'm seriously starting to doubt my decision to replace RX1 with A7. I wonder if there is any way I can keep both..? Who else do, and how do you feel about it? Do you actually use both regularly?
(I also intend to sell my Fuji eventually, but that's a separate issue.)

I guess you prefer ergonomics of RX1 and perfect blend of sensor+lens more than A7?

In your case it doesnt matter that much, cause you simply have both skill and talent. But, if you like something and it works for you well, better keep it that way.

I know that camera is just object, but if one likes that object, it makes better pics..

Aug 03, 2014 at 06:35 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.151 #8 · p.151 #8 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Helena, as you know I also own both the RX1 and A7. They're different in so many ways. The RX1 looks like a P&S and is silent. The A7 is larger and very loud compared to the RX. You can't find a 35mm lens for the A7 that's as good as the one on the RX1. It makes perfect sense to keep both. Btw, I personally prefer the look of your RX1 images over the ones from Fuji and the GR, but that's just my taste.

That being said, I'm thinking about selling the RX1 too but for different reasons. I'm not sure yet because it certainly offers great IQ.

Aug 03, 2014 at 07:18 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.151 #9 · p.151 #9 · RX1(R) Image Thread

RX 1

Aug 03, 2014 at 07:41 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.151 #10 · p.151 #10 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thank you very much Mescalamba! The problem is that I don't enjoy shooting with RX1. I use it for a while, then I get more and more annoyed by it so I let it rest for a few weeks. Then I miss its fantastic image quality and the circle starts again... Also, it's often not wide enough for me, so I thought I'd instead go for A7 with a wider lens, but now you have all convinced me that it's best to keep both for a while and see what happens.

Thanks Jochen, I appreciate that you shared your thoughts. Interesting that you prefer the RX1 shots over my others. Something else to consider.
Good luck with your own decision! I think it were easier if RX1 weren't so expensive.

Btw. I took Wayne's advice and replaced the hotel photo (on the previous page) with a B&W version.

Aug 03, 2014 at 07:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dovey
• •
p.151 #11 · p.151 #11 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Hi Helena,
I look forward to seeing what you produce with the Contax and A7 combo, I am sure to enjoy and learn from you again. I have kept my RX1, despite not using it much, as it is such a lovely camera in the right situations. For travelling, family gatherings and for parties or street shots.

I remember a while ago you were complaining about the way Sony deals with blue, that the colours were not handled well by the Sony process. I agree, now I have a Sony profile in Lightroom that corrects for the sensor's and processor handling of colour. I used an Xrite Colourchecker to generate the profile. I am very impressed with the results, much, much better, especially for blue.

For myself, I am seriously considering getting the A7S to complement the A7R for the sort of conditions that I find myself in regularly.

Aug 04, 2014 at 07:35 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.151 #12 · p.151 #12 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Helena, love the B&W version as it emphasizes the lines and repeating patterns. Very nice!

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:04 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.151 #13 · p.151 #13 · RX1(R) Image Thread

one from weekend

Aug 04, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Nick Dakota
• •
p.151 #14 · p.151 #14 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Very nice Zhangyue!

Aug 04, 2014 at 03:12 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.151 #15 · p.151 #15 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Interesting place Nick! Looks like a fun place to be with a camera, but I guess it's fenced in. Nowadays they are almost always are.

Great light zhangyue and the birds adds a lot.

dovey, thank you! Your color profile sounds great. Nowadays I mostly struggle with greens, and also skin tones in certain light. I have some profiles from Huelight that helps in some situations, but far from all.

Thanks Wayne (for the suggestion too), glad you like it.

Aug 04, 2014 at 03:26 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.151 #16 · p.151 #16 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Nice photos Helena, Nick,...
Beautiful atmosphere in that last one Michael.

Aug 04, 2014 at 04:55 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.151 #17 · p.151 #17 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thank you for all your comments and likes. I appreciate.

Helena, I like RX1 over A7. 90% of reason from size and shutter. it cover my 35mm and travel light need. though I never be a fan of A7, A7 has better AF and can use more lens. For you, I might recommend A7R higher, other than shutter delay (and no EFC and shutter shocking), I like its file better(better default color, can be push pull more) based on short experience with it. Since I am going back to DSLR/D810, I am minority here, so I don't dare to offer my opinion

continue support RX1

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:01 PM
HelenaN
• • •
p.151 #18 · p.151 #18 · RX1(R) Image Thread

zhangyue, thanks for sharing your opinion! I appreciate it.
I thought about A7R, but A7 was on sale and much cheaper. That was important because I only see the Sony as a temporary solution. For some time I have been wanting to try a nice MF 28mm (maybe some other lens too) and just wanted something not overly large to mount it on. To not be too "locked in" with Sony I don't intend to get any native lenses.

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:12 PM
Nick Dakota
• •
p.151 #19 · p.151 #19 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Posted this not cause it's anything great...but for one of the many reasons why I love this camera. Even handheld @ 25,600 ISO...it not only retains the detail but the DR is still there, enough to see the depth changes of the cobblestone, might be subtle, but it's there.

Aug 04, 2014 at 08:16 PM
aFrIcanSH
• •
p.151 #20 · p.151 #20 · RX1(R) Image Thread

HelenaN wrote:
Thank you very much Mescalamba! The problem is that I don't enjoy shooting with RX1. I use it for a while, then I get more and more annoyed by it so I let it rest for a few weeks. Then I miss its fantastic image quality and the circle starts again... Also, it's often not wide enough for me, so I thought I'd instead go for A7 with a wider lens, but now you have all convinced me that it's best to keep both for a while and see what happens.

Thanks Jochen, I appreciate that you shared your thoughts.
...Show more

The thing is, if you don't feel particularly for a piece of equipment it's very hard to like it. I've had lenses which sometimes produce great images but i'm not feeling it. Sometimes I just can't bear to sell some of my gear for sentimental reasons or just cause I feel i should give the lens another go, but the there's always this lingering feeling it's just not right for me. Same for focal lengths, since 35mm may not be your thing. I found it hard to justify the rx1's price the first time round when I bought it new and hence sold it.

But at the same time, I purchased one used recently almost solely due to the images in this thread, and notably yours and a few others.

Aug 05, 2014 at 03:07 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password