Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              117      
       119              136       137       end

RX1(R) Image Thread

sebboh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.118 #1 · RX1(R) Image Thread

more monochrome around SF:

Jan 18, 2014 at 05:02 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.118 #2 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Nice Derek - I like #3...

Jan 18, 2014 at 07:28 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.118 #3 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Wasn't snowing, and a little warmer today, so I walked over the little cemetery across the street from my house (nice peaceful spot where I do most of my camera testing) to try out the Ricoh GW3 0.75 conversion lens a bit more.

These are just straight out of the camera JPEG files with no corrections for distortion or vignetting, just presenting to give an idea of the changes in FoV

First we've got the RX1 at its native 35mm focal length (which based upon other 35's I've owned, seems to be a little wider than 35)

Next we've got the RX1 with the GW3, which I'd say equates to about a 25mm-ish actual FoV.

Finally, for an additional frame of reference with a known wider focal length, here is the 28mm (equiv) FoV from the Ricoh GR

I may post some samples of edges, etc., at full rez if there is really that much interest, but, that sort of thing always carries with it a lot of criticisms on methodology etc, so probably will leave it just to something for my own eyes and for me to evaluate based upon my own needs and IQ requirements.

I will say its pretty darn good, not just for a conversion lens, but for an actual native focal length lens, which is saying something. Very little distortion and it remains quite sharp basically across the entire frame. Rioch built one heck of a conversion lens.

Its of course a little difficult to evaluate between my known 28mm cameras like the RX100 and GR because of the differences in megapixels. The GR is just 16meg, so the 24meg RX1 can resolve a bit higher, in addition to being A LOT better at higher ISO than either the GR or the RX100.

During some informal testing late in the afternoon yesterday, I was shooting the RX1 at f8, w/ GW3, and that had be at ISO1600 or so. Still very clean, as RX1 users know, but the GR, shot natively at 28mm equiv, at F5.6 and ISO800 already started to get pretty noisy and really starts to lose detail, so the RX1 gave a marginally better image even taking into account the conversion lens.

Point of buying the GW3 is to give me 21mm equiv on the GR though, rather than turning the RX1 into a 25-ish mm camera that has to be shot at f8. That being said, it does look pretty handy to be able to just screw the GW3 quickly onto the RX1 and get a little more width for some shooting situations.

I don't know, at this point, if I would really suggest anyone buy a GW3 just for the RX1, but it works well, and if you often wish your RX1 was a little wider for landscapes, it could be worth trying out.

Jan 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.118 #4 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:

thanks gary!

millsart can we a pic of what it looks like on camera? also, how does it perform at f/2 centrally and what does the bokeh look like in such situations? i think i'd be more likely to use such an adapter for low light people shooting than landscape. for landscape i'd just stitch together 2-4 images with the straight rx1.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.118 #5 · RX1(R) Image Thread

This is how it looks Sebboh:

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.118 #6 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
This is how it looks Sebboh:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/50122de9c4aa13a9a2850442/t/527369cfe4b0793e8f888245/1383295443141/BU_131031_124103-3_S.jpg

thanks!

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.118 #7 · RX1(R) Image Thread

I've found that it needs to be stopped down to f4 for decent sharpness, and it often seems AF performance. Wide open it sort of has that typical conversion lens smearing of the corners. F8 or ideally f11 though really sharpen up nicely, though obviously stopping way down like that limits the usefulness of it to daytime and/tripod

For the most part I don't think it makes sense for an RX1 user to spend $200+ for one, unless you've also got a GR, or, you really, really want to get a bit wider in good light/tripod use.

I bought it for my GR first and foremost, and was just curious to see how it worked since its a 49mm thread. Really exceeded expectations though and does work pretty well.

I'd be more inclined to just shoot it on a GR though for a true 21mm equiv as that is more useful overall (and not much more to carry if your already willing to carry the GW3), but figured results were intriguing and figured worth sharing with the RX1 user community here.

Jan 18, 2014 at 11:57 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.118 #8 · RX1(R) Image Thread

millsart wrote:
I've found that it needs to be stopped down to f4 for decent sharpness, and it often seems AF performance. Wide open it sort of has that typical conversion lens smearing of the corners. F8 or ideally f11 though really sharpen up nicely, though obviously stopping way down like that limits the usefulness of it to daytime and/tripod

what about the center? i wouldn't really be using the corners or even edges and definitely not AF for this. i admit i've never used a conversion lens, so i have no idea what to expect. i'm not looking for landscape sharpness, but rather large aperture and "character".

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.118 #9 · RX1(R) Image Thread

sebboh wrote:
what about the center? i wouldn't really be using the corners or even edges and definitely not AF for this. i admit i've never used a conversion lens, so i have no idea what to expect. i'm not looking for landscape sharpness, but rather large aperture and "character".

I just quickly tried it on my RX1 for the first time and it's definitely not usable at f2. The whole image is a soft glowing mess. As you turn the aperture ring you see all getting normal looking on the LCD.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:33 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.118 #10 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Can't get it to focus at f2.0, at f2.8 its kind of has a lost contrast veil over everything, by f4 its pretty sharp in the center and the AF seems to work well. f2.8 or maybe f3.5 could be workable if you don't care about the edges. Will have to try to test it a bit more tomorrow with better light. Initial impressions are the results/usability aren't too promising though.

What I'd suggest for you, is the much, much cheaper Nikon WC-68, which is a 0.68x conversion lens. Its a 46mm thread, so you need a step up 46-49 adapter. Its about the exact same size/weight as the GW3.

Unlike the GW3, the corners never get totally sharp even stopped down, however, this isn't as much of an issue if you just care about central sharpness. It actually will AF even wide open, though very low contrast and kind of soft, f2.8 or 3.5 are pretty usable though and f4 looks pretty darn sharp in the center. Its giving you about 21mm-ish FoV as well, so pretty dramatic increase in width. If you like dark vignetted corners anyways, might not be that noticeable.

The thickness of the step up right might affect the focus a bit too. On my X100, I needed to have a UV filter with no glass "spacer" to get it to work. May need to give that a try on the RX1 as well. Still never got perfect corners on the X100 either though. Just a bit too wide of conversion factor I think.

Will see if I can find some more time to experiment with it tomorrow

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • •
p.118 #11 · RX1(R) Image Thread

thanks guys!

i'll have to take a look at the WC-68.

a pic to break up the text:

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:49 AM
millsart
• • • •
p.118 #12 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Quick update for you, played with the conversion lens a bit more and while the WC68 is indeed wider, the transition from sharp to smeared is kind of pronounced. You can pick those up for $30 or less typically so may be worth trying still, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Might be somewhat useful if you want a sharp center with purposely soft corners though, ala some iPhone app processing.

The GW3 works a bit better, but does need to be stopped down to f4, which I couldn't really get around. Decent increase in FoV and the corners are softer but not quite as apparent as the WC68. It all and all works better optically, but probably not $200+ useful, unless you really wanted a 26mm f4.0 lens with poor corner performance. It does that rather well

Jan 19, 2014 at 06:48 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.118 #13 · RX1(R) Image Thread

A-1 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Jan 20, 2014 at 01:35 AM
andrenth

p.118 #14 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Two portraits of my wife

Her being silly

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.118 #15 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Gary Clennan wrote:

Yes, I also like #1 and #2. Nothing wrong with the trees either but I found the first three more interesting.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.118 #16 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7317/12042238736_f7dbe87dd0_z.jpg
A-1 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Mixed feelings here. I like the document. The technical problem with this image make it look as old as the building. What happened?

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:10 PM
pikovsg

p.118 #17 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Thank you for this conversion lens test!! Very useful. I've been researching a number of converters over this past week and your post has convinced me to go with Rocoh's. Two questions:

- how much does the adapter weigh?
- what about the GW2 adapter, it seems to be the more readily available online? Is that the newest model?

Any chance to post high-res or raw files on Dropbox? Would be super helpful to check out corner sharpness.

Thanks!
GP

Jan 20, 2014 at 04:52 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.118 #18 · RX1(R) Image Thread

No problem, always like to contribute to the forum things I think others may find of some interest, so glad you found it useful

PM me your email and I can send you a full rez file

As for the weight, about 8oz or so, its a fairly solid hunk of metal and glass, and you do feel a change in balance of the camera a little bit, but nothing too bad. I have a grip on mine so it didn't really bother me.

Threads of the GW3 and the RX1 both are metal as well so I don't think there is much risk for wear/tear assuming you are careful taking it on/off. I worried a little about the weight on the lens barrel but that seems quite solid with no wobble or anything. May not have been designed for more weight than a filter on there though so use due caution, maybe not the best idea to walk around it all day etc, who knows really.

As for the GW2, I doubt it would work as it was made for a much smaller p&s style sensor. I'm frankly amazed the image circle is big enough for 35mm FF

Jan 20, 2014 at 06:41 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.118 #19 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Jonas B wrote:
Mixed feelings here. I like the document. The technical problem with this image make it look as old as the building. What happened?

Telling someone their image has technical problems making it seem old could be taken as a compliment these days....

Jan 20, 2014 at 06:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.118 #20 · RX1(R) Image Thread

Jonas B wrote:
Yes, I also like #1 and #2. Nothing wrong with the trees either but I found the first three more interesting.

ha, everybody has different tastes. #5 is my favorite, but it looks less interesting at websize.

sadly, #3 which i also really like doesn't enlarge well due to too narrow a dof.

Jan 20, 2014 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password