Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Best AF system..

Jude Perera
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Best AF system..

What camera manufacturer has the best AF system for fast action tracking?

What is the best AF system available from Canon, Nikon or any other camera manufacture for fast action photography?

Any thoughts...

Jude

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:31 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Best AF system..

Canon of course.. don't believe me ?.. then ask Conrad Tan.

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:15 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #3 · Best AF system..

As of this generation, it's canon, but it wasn't previously.

The 1dx is the best overall.

Nov 25, 2012 at 05:25 PM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #4 · Best AF system..

Prior to the 5D3/1DX, I still preferred my old Nikon D2H to all Canon pro bodies for shooting action. Canon I think now has the edge... but I've not shot with current gen pro Nikon bodies. I'm just very impressed with this current system.

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:36 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Best AF system..

Canon and nikon are on par in the same camera category (pro, semipro, enthusiast, etc) with sony and the rest a notch lower in each product segment/tier. A nikon pro body will out-AF an enthusiast canon camera and vice-versa. So the question isn't nikon or canon, it's what your budget is to buy into the best tier and get the lenses you need. The Canon 1dx or nikon d4 would be the "best" assuming you can afford the right lenses for the kind of action you are looking to capture.

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:30 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Best AF system..

Currently its the 1Dx and the newer lenses with the more accurate PDAF sensor/focus distance meter (70-300L, new supers, 24-70mkII, new IS primes etc).

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:31 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #7 · Best AF system..

With the D800's left bank AF points that has the work ethics of a dope head and the d600 with dust issues I think Nikon is not in contention for reliable AF. 1dx dumps on the d4 for AF accuracy and reliability.

Right here right now the new 61-point AF system in the 1dx/5d3 top dog limited only to its user's capabilities.

Nov 25, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Best AF system..

M Lucca wrote:
With the D800's left bank AF points that has the work ethics of a dope head and the d600 with dust issues I think Nikon is not in contention for reliable AF. 1dx dumps on the d4 for AF accuracy and reliability.

Right here right now the new 61-point AF system in the 1dx/5d3 top dog limited only to its user's capabilities.

+ 100 - my opinion, too. I do not know the D4s AF. But D800 imo does not reach 5D IIIs/1D Xs level.
The other question is if one needs the current top AF system ... - we all did great pictures with great cameras before.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Best AF system..

If you ask this on a Canon board, people will say Canon. If you ask it on the Nikon board, people will say Nikon. In both cases, you'll get the majority of the opinion from people who have not used any of the mentioned cameras. Helpful huh?

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Best AF system..

Just don't ask on the Alternative forum...

I think timbop makes some good points. I'm currently shooting a 1DX and 1DIV. I went to the 1DX from a 1DsIII for high fps on a full frame body; the significantly improved AF is a bonus. IMO, if you can't get decent AF performance out of contemporary Canon and Nikon pro bodies, then you're probably pointing the lens in the wrong direction.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Best AF system..

My 5D II centerpoint keepers on a wedding where higher than a collegues D700 keepers. And I know he knows how to work with it, too (even though he didnīt have the experience in shooting people).

The best AF- system is nothing without the eye behind the camera and knowing how to use your gear.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:38 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Best AF system..

Here is one head-to-head AF tracking test between the D800 and 5DM3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9EeDCaVFM

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:42 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Best AF system..

snapsy wrote:
Here is one head-to-head AF tracking test between the D800 and 5DM3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W9EeDCaVFM

Very good work and very nicely presented. Kudos to The Camera Store.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:02 AM
thedigitalbean
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Best AF system..

The D3s (which I owned and used for quite some time) was very very good and at the time I think it had the edge for fast action tracking especially when obstacles were involved. I've had the chance to use the 5D3 (though not 1DX) for a fair amount of fast flight photography and am very pleased with its performance. Going purely from memory I think it bests the 1D4 (which I also owned for a couple of years) and may even have an edge over the D3s (no idea if the D4 has improved upon it but I am suspecting not much if any).

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:15 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #15 · Best AF system..

Some fairly good real life comparison of both camp's flagship cameras.

http://xerodigital.ca/canon-1dx-nikon-d4-compare-wedding-photographers/

IMHO, it is us that are the limitation.

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:00 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #16 · Best AF system..

Ben Horne wrote:
If you ask this on a Canon board, people will say Canon. If you ask it on the Nikon board, people will say Nikon. In both cases, you'll get the majority of the opinion from people who have not used any of the mentioned cameras. Helpful huh?

All of the independent tests I've seen have said canon too.

My friend ditched his d4 and d3s and is amazed by the 1dx AF.

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:06 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Best AF system..

EOS M is the best by far. Just have to anticipate the action several days in advance, but boy does it lock on fast then.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:22 AM
Jude Perera
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Best AF system..

I asked this question for educational purpose only. Currently owns a 7d but I was capturing BIFs form Canon xxxd bodies for 5 years. It's good to know what is the best out there whether you are going for it or not. The youtube video is very interesting indeed. Thanks for all the comments.

Jude

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Best AF system..

Hey Jude! I can't say anything about the Nikon AF system, but I can say I've been envious of Nikon's AF performance for many years especially in low light, until I got the 1DX. Now I shoot long after the sun goes down, and still get excellent AF performance. This wasn't true with my 7D, 1DmkIV or any other Canon before. I got it for low light noise ability, and was very pleasantly surprised at the AF of BIF in shade, low light, busy BG with a similar colored subject. It just simply knows what I want to shoot. Again, this probably doesn't help, but I'm sure one happy Canon camper.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:02 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #20 · Best AF system..

Pixel Perfect wrote:
EOS M is the best by far. Just have to anticipate the action several days in advance, but boy does it lock on fast then.

I get the feeling that lately the battle between Canon Development Testers and the Marketing Dept. has been difficult.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:14 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password