Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Krosavcheg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

I seem to have a small problem with mirror lock-up operation.
I went through manual few times already but the operation description just doesn't sink in..:/

I connect the release cable into the port on the lens, but that's pretty much it.
Would appreciate any pointers..

Best Regards

Nov 25, 2012 at 09:27 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

The socket that the cable release screws into should lift out from the lens a few mm as you turn the cable release the last 180 degrees. This exposes a red line on the socket itself. Are you screwing the cable release far enough into the lens, but you shouldn't have to force it, it doesn't require any pressure. You then press the normal shutter release to lift the mirror and use the cable release to fire the shutter in the lens.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

As John says, it's a little fussy with that silver socket which protrudes to show its engraved red ring. To that I'd add that you should be sure when you de-couple the the threaded release from the socket, ensure that said socket recedes into the housing once you are done. The shutter release depends on the precise position of that little nubbin and sometimes it may not recede fully when you have finished with mirror-up operation.

Otherwise you'll be left scratching your head, again.

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:52 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

The cable fits in without a problem and does expose the red ring indeed.
Is this it? I don't have to operate the cable release at all?

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Krosavcheg wrote:
The cable fits in without a problem and does expose the red ring indeed.
Is this it? I don't have to operate the cable release at all?

You have to press the shutter release on the body (which will drop the mirror only), then press the cable release (which you plugged into the lens) to actually trip the shutter.

Nov 29, 2012 at 05:36 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Ah, so two shutter release cables are must...
Though, I am unable to press shutter release on the lens - it feels forced when I am pressing it and does not do anything. Perhaps it's because I don't have a camera release cable?

Dec 05, 2012 at 03:09 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Krosavcheg wrote:
Ah, so two shutter release cables are must...

No. You do not need a cable release in the cameras shutter release. You can just press it normally.

Krosavcheg wrote:
Though, I am unable to press shutter release on the lens - it feels forced when I am pressing it and does not do anything. Perhaps it's because I don't have a camera release cable?

OK. That sounds wrong. When you insert the cable release into the lens the shroud at the base of the socket should lift up a couple of mm. If that's not happening then there's a problem. The cable relese in the lens is only used to trip the shutter in the lens itself and should not need any significant force. Just light pressure.

Dec 05, 2012 at 07:05 AM
quicksilver33
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

You can think of it this way - the cable release decouples the mirror and the shutter operations. So the usual "shutter" button operates the mirror and the remote release cable operates the shutter. So (1) hit the "shutter" button, (2) wait a bit, and (3) trip the shutter after mirror vibration is (hopefully) gone

Also I think the shutter won't trip if the mirror is down so maybe that's why the shutter release isn't doing anything.

Don't have my RZ67 on-hand so this is from memory... hope I got it right!

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:10 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

My impression was that I could operate lens shutter independently from camera one - i.e lens shutter would give response once it's triggered no matter if camera mirror is locked up or not, so I need to test.
Perhaps the trigger pin is a tad too long in the cable I got? Then again, it seems to be a regular mechanical shutter release and I am not aware of the variations of those...

Dec 06, 2012 at 02:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

They do not work independently. As described above, screw the cable to the lens, then you must trip the regular shutter button on the body to get the mirror up, then the cable release on the lens to take the picture.

Dec 06, 2012 at 03:39 AM
quicksilver33
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

The RZ67 has some fail-safes built into it - that may be one of them.

Dec 06, 2012 at 09:41 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Most likely. Will test again..

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:50 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Ok. So basically connecting shutter to lens raises the mirror. Then by pressing shutter release connected to camera body lens shutter is operated, then finally pressing shutter connected to lens will lower the mirror. Got it!

Logically I would expect shitter release cable to operate the part it's connected to...

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Hmm, now mhayes5254 and Krosavcheg are saying opposite things

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:23 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Krosavcheg wrote:
Ok. So basically connecting shutter to lens raises the mirror. Then by pressing shutter release connected to camera body lens shutter is operated, then finally pressing shutter connected to lens will lower the mirror. Got it!

Logically I would expect shitter release cable to operate the part it's connected to...

No no…read what corposant wrote in his reply above.

Mamiya does make a dual cable relaease. One thumb plunger connected to 2 screw in ends that are timed (actually I think they do it by the length of the cable) so the mirror/body gets released first and then the lens socket end gets released shortly after.

These can be expensive and are unnecessary.

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:38 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Krosavcheg, it works as you would expect, not how you described. Re-read corposant's and my responses again. You have to pick up the camera and try it.

The cable release in the lens takes the picture, when it is screwed in, the button on the body only lifts the mirror. Also, if you are not very familiar with the camera, make sure the dark slide is out and it is wound. Unlike the RB, it has various interlocks to prevent errors but the sequence is all manual and it it is not always obvious why the shutter is not tripping.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:09 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

Krosavcheg wrote:
Logically I would expect shitter release cable to operate...

If your RZ is pooping on you, then need return it whence it came -posthaste- and never look back. There are plenty of RZs in the world that will certainly treat you better, it's just a question of making yourself available to meet them, and being engaging and presentable

Seriously, though, as the above FMers have said:

1. You really only need a threaded release for the lens shutter coupling itself, the body's mirror can be raised with the front shutter button. I have used the Mamiya dual release and it's very convenient but not absolutely necessary.
2. If you want to shoot with a locked mirror, be sure the shutter's "MLU" coupling "thingy" is protruding and shows the little red ring after you've screwed the release cable into it.
3. The inverse is true if you want to shoot the RZ normally, e.g. make sure the ring settles into its prior place when you've unscrewed the threaded cable release.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mamiya RZ67 Question

My head exploded as I was writing this, but I think I understand! Cheers guys!!! Field tests coming soon...

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password