Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Batuirušu (Pluvialis dominica)

gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Batuirušu (Pluvialis dominica)

Here in Brazil we call this bird "Batuirušu". It's a Pluvialis dominica, I googled the species and found the english name "American Golden Plover", but I'm not sure it's the same bird...

Critique really welcome. By the way, this is the reason it's being posted

Nikon D3100 + AF-S 300mm F/4 and TC 14EII: 420mm F/5.6, ISO 400, 1/250 sec.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:14 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Batuirušu (Pluvialis dominica)

Its a good image, what would make it great is if you had no grass in front of or behind the birds head.

You have good eye contact, good exposure and focus on the eye. The background is nicely blurred. But the grass especially that in front of the bird hurts the image.

Nov 25, 2012 at 01:11 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Batuirušu (Pluvialis dominica)

As is becoming clear, Ben's critiques of bird images is right on target.
This one would really bother me if I took it. So much to like with the head angle, eye contact, detail, BG. If it were me, I'd keep it but never print it.
That said, you could work on it and see how much improvement is possible. I would crop 1/3 to half the distance from the right edge to the beak. I'd clone out the blades behind him and the long blades in front. Maybe a keeper after all.

Scott

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:36 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Batuirušu (Pluvialis dominica)

Thanks for the feedback, Ben and Scott.

I agree that the image would be better without the tall grass around the bird, but the fact that the grass is there doesn't bother me nearly as much as it seems to bother you.

Perhaps this is one of those images I'll be destined to love for the rest of my life, but other people won't feel the same about it, just because of the situation when I took the picture: I remember everything perfectly, slowly crawling through the glass to get closer, the bird accepting my presence but at the same time curious to understand what I was doing, more and more birds landing all around... it was unforgettable to me. Perhaps the good memories this photo brings me will always cloud my judgement with it.

I do have some other, 'clear', images from the same bird that day, but the gesture is nowhere near as good:

Well I'm going to learn some Photoshop just to deal with this image. It's about time I start learning it. I'll post the results if they are any good.

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Batuirušu (Pluvialis dominica)

I agree, the first bird is better, but everything else is better in the last one.

I guess when you ask photographers for critique, they can always find something.

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:59 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password