Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

Archive 2012 · What's your fantasy purchase?

ausemmao
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · What's your fantasy purchase?

An RX-1.

Then go to Sony and have them make me a 24mm f/2 equipped RX-2.

Then Monochrome versions of the two cameras, and I'd be done. Maybe an 85mm RX-3.

If I were feeling particularly extravagant, then get Sony to make a 6x9 RX-0.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Are you a PC person too?

sure! Nobody who understands computers would pick a Mac . Recently upgraded to two 6 core hyperthreaded (24 "cores") monster and am happy kitty

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Kittyk wrote:
sure! Nobody who understands computers would pick a Mac . Recently upgraded to two 6 core hyperthreaded (24 "cores") monster and am happy kitty

I agree 100% on the first part ... as for your new monster, NICE! You should name it Tiger. I need to upgrade my machine before too long --- 5 year old Core2 Duo

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:54 PM
krickett
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · What's your fantasy purchase?

you are missing 200/2 in that list.
I thought about that. I thought about a 300 2.8 also. But eh, I didn't want to let it get to my head. Power corrupts.

Most of those are hardly a fantasy, since one can easily go out and buy them now.
It's a fantasy to me... since I don't have it, I likely will never have it, and I fantasize about it xD. Would love to crack open my bag and stare at a bunch of modern Nikon AF-S primes.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I have an i7 Quad Core with dual crossfire GPU's. I have a laptop that I tweaked a bit, so it runs off a msata SSD drive for boot, and uses a 1TB spinner drive for media, and also has a pretty decent GeForce 660GTX card (in other words, the laptop can beat the crap out of most people's desktops).

Yet, I also own and appreciate a Mac. The MacBook Air is really a remarkable piece of engineering. It's totally enclosed in anodized aluminum. It has no exhaust ports.

Basically, Macs make great lifestyle machines, but without a doubt, if I need a workhorse, hell yeah I'm booting up the PC.

Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 02:49 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · What's your fantasy purchase?

krickett wrote:
Basically, Macs make great lifestyle machines, but without a doubt, if I need a workhorse, hell yeah I'm booting up the PC.

This statement sums up the whole debate perfectly. Well said.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:42 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Andre Labonte wrote:
This statement sums up the whole debate perfectly. Well said.

except that if i would want a lifestyle machine (isn't that oxymoron already ?! ok, i am maybe too old) i would pick lenovo to show the world how tough and evil chick i am

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:11 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Vmware and Virtual Box makes the MAC vs PC debate redundant.

I have a PC and I run Snow Leopard in it for RPP using vmware... In other words MAC OS is just another application in my PC.

I have never bought an Apple product and I will never buy one in the future.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:17 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · What's your fantasy purchase?

First, I'll hire Paris Hilton as my assistant. She will book my photo trips, prepare my gear, etc. then I will hire Peter Lik to take the photos for me while I sit around and dictate the composition. When we get back to my office, Scott Kelby will be doing the post processing. I will then ask Paris to post the finished JPGs on my flickr.

Once that's done, I'll order a D4

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:08 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · What's your fantasy purchase?

My needs are simple, gimme a Noct and I'm good.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:24 PM
krickett
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Exdsc wrote:
Vmware and Virtual Box makes the MAC vs PC debate redundant.

I have a PC and I run Snow Leopard in it for RPP using vmware... In other words MAC OS is just another application in my PC.

I have never bought an Apple product and I will never buy one in the future.

I'm a business major so perhaps my perspective on this is very different. Mac OS isn't Apple, and Apple doesn't care all that much about Mac OS.

The thing that Apple does that nobody else really does:
1. Focus on Design - all other PC maker focus on technology, but Apple focuses on design. It's an artist led company. People in the design lab develop the look, the feel, the experience, and they go to the technology people for feasibility checks, and to make it happen. They are a self-described 'fashion' company.
2. Tight integration - Most PC companies are essentially marketing and assembly shells. Apple on the other hand, is tightly oriented business model. Everything, and I do mean everything, from the Apple Store, to Itunes, to the product mix (Iphone, MacBook) etc., all support each other. Within the product, everything: internal parts, OS, supply chain, contours, look, function, etc. lack of customization, etc. they all support each other in a very focused, deliberate business model. Mac OS is just one piece of the puzzle.

The result is pretty simple. No PC Maker makes money. It's a terrible business to be in, because you're merely packaging for Intel and Windows. Apple on the other hand, is rolling in money.

So, while I'm definitely not an Apple fanboy, I think they are smart, they make great products, and everybody in the world is struggling to catch up with them. I don't think they're evil or greedy. BUT, they are a TAD full of themselves

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:52 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · What's your fantasy purchase?

krickett wrote:
I'm a business major so perhaps my perspective on this is very different. Mac OS isn't Apple, and Apple doesn't care all that much about Mac OS.

1. Focus on Design - all other PC maker focus on technology, but Apple focuses on design. It's an artist led company. People in the design lab develop the look, the feel, the experience, and they go to the technology people for feasibility checks, and to make it happen. They are a self-described 'fashion' company.
2. Tight integration - Most PC companies are essentially marketing and
...Show more

I build my own PC, I buy each component and put them together. The idea of buying a computer that is build by someone else is out of the question for me.

Apple products are not for me, because I think for myself.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:04 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · What's your fantasy purchase?

krickett wrote:

2. Tight integration - Most PC companies are essentially marketing and
...Show more

i though i would fix your answer a little

>The result is pretty simple. No PC Maker makes money. It's a terrible business to be in, because you're merely packaging for Intel and Windows. Apple on the other hand, is rolling in money.

Hell no. Even apple is just packaging company for intel and ATI/Nvidia. Difference is that they put moneys on so called "feel on being part of elite" while other puts moneys on upgrade path and other things what reasonable people want to pay for. You are right though, that neither of them makes real moneys. But that is true for apple too. Apple makes moneys on itunes and those stupid gadgets which people stupidly overpay, definitely not on their crappy desktops, pathetic laptops and most of all laughable, servers.
All in all, only half true. They all still make enough moneys to push further this fast developing forward. Only number of players reduced, because game has changed.

> Focus on Design - all other PC maker focus on technology, but Apple focuses on design. It's an artist led company.

again no, it is marketing-led company. They want you to think it is art. But you just fell for it. What they make is no design. It is sleek and simple to be "ok" for most, not hateable, but definitely far away from art. It is as much art as those glass and chrome "design furniture" are. They are just as simple as plain paper is, so most people think they like them, while they just "not hate them" because they cannot. Art is something else. Art is what SGI did back in a day or what some old furniture is. Or what some real designers do. Or what cyber/steampunk styled cases/mods are. Not that white / silver boxes with pushy spamming glowing apple on the back.

p.s. i am not hating apple. i just dont like when i hear very often that creative people pick apple because they are art driven company. Many (by far not most) creative people pick apple because they are technically impaired and PC world is so bigger then mac world is, that is very cluttered for uninformed people.
There is nothing what apple can offer nowadays. It had something to offer back in days when some applications were not available or were poor running on PC (like Quark in end of nineties), but now apple is a PC with different OS and sicko company running it and locking you to their offerings.

If you want some reality check, just load some video of their keynotes and replace all "Apple" words with "Pampers". So you will see how rest of the world sees apple fanatics. We just go to shop and buy a product to work on. We buy phone to phone and text on. Mp3 player which fits our needs and notePad when as we like. We are not coming to PC cathedral for chosen ones, to talk with PC geniuses about which of those 3 same laptops, 2 same desktops and one phone and one tablet and mediaplayer we should buy.

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:05 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Mac and Apple stuff for me. I bought my first Mac 8 years ago and would never go back. I LOVE their products, not just 'not hate them'. They work, they have never failed or frozen on me, they look stunning, are engineered beautifully and the entire user experience is a million times better than when I use PC's. I didn't fall for anything. I have my own brain and my buying decisions are based on my own experience from using their products, not their keynote presentations or TV advertising. I love the products and choose to keep buying them and i can assure you i have not been brainwashed. My experience with PCs is quite different however and I would not choose to spend my money on one. This is just my opinion.

However, this thread is not about Apple v PC. Lets get back on point please. Some cool fantasy purchase ideas so far. I've even learned a few thins from this thread and the responses which I was not anticipating.

Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 05:50 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:47 PM
krickett
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Kitty:

I disagree. Consider the following:

1. Apple's profit margins on laptops are roughly 20-30%. Dell's profit margins on laptops are nothing. From an investor standpoint, they should probably shut down the laptop business and put the money in a savings account instead. It's what IBM did with Lenovo. It's what Apothekar wanted to do with HP. Apple is the only company that makes substantial money making computers, and yes, the value it builds is in the look and feel (and the look and feel is not cheap... see no. 2).

2. Next time you're in a store, compare a Lenovo to a Macbook. Lenovo's are constructed out of shaped sheet metal. Cheap, easy, fast. MacBooks are constructed out of machined aluminum and then anodized. Expensive and time consuming. Why did Apple choose such an expensive process? Because it looks better and feels more solid. But how can they put a price competitive item to market if the manufacturing process is so expensive? By reducing the product line, reducing customizeability, and *mass producing* the limited product line. How can they get a Macbook to *half* the thickness of a comparable laptop? By removing components and using a single board. How can they get a long battery life? But further reducing the size of the circuit board, and making the battery like 2/3rds of the internal guts of the computer. Everything they do is very deliberate. They cannot win and make money by fighting PC's head to head. They differentiate, very intelligently, and now everyone is trying to copy them. Dell started to make a unibody machined block laptop. Everybody else started making 'ultrabooks' on a single circuit board with no upgrade path.

So basically, think about it... does everybody really need an upgrade path? These days, chip, GPU life cycles are so long. The last time I upgraded my computer, I completely built a new one. I've swapped a few things here and there, but in reality, the next time I upgrade, I have to change *everything*. There is far less of a need for upgradeability now than there was 5 years ago. Apple is capitalizing on that.

3. You're making a value judgement on art. I.E. you're saying that the simple, clean design of the Apple products isn't good. That's a personal judgment, not a observation of the actual business practices of Apple. Apple's simple, clean designs are very deliberate. (The curve on the MacBook Air chassis... it's easier to make it flat!) But the real business practices at Apple are simple: the industrial design team leads all product designs. Not OS, not supply chain, not electronics engineers.. not even marketing. Jon Ive goes into his design studio and they work on the shape, the texture, the size, and the materials of the product. It's not the reverse... it's not a bunch of engineers making a product, then handing it off to design with a note: "make this pretty."

I build my own PC, I buy each component and put them together. The idea of buying a computer that is build by someone else is out of the question for me.

Apple products are not for me, because I think for myself.

That's interesting. Let's say I offered you a customizable DSLR. You can choose the mount, the image sensor, the LCD, the button layout, the chassis, the pentaprism mirror box, pop up flash or not, the eyepiece, etc. You can 'think for yourself', and the result is that you'll save, oh, 20% on cost, and the camera is 2x as big, 2x as heavy, a bit flimsier. However it's a whole lot more flexible. You might be able to change the sensor if they made a new one... assuming they didn't reinvent the no. of pins on the sensor mounting. Would you take me up on my offer? Or would you 'let Nikon think for you', and get a D800?

Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 05:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · What's your fantasy purchase?

HEY, THIS IS A NIKON FANTACY THREAD, NOT AN APPLE / PC PISSING CONTEST.

SORRY I made a JOKE about Apple ... now let it DIE!!!!!

Nov 26, 2012 at 05:56 PM
krickett
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Andre Labonte wrote:
HEY, THIS IS A NIKON FANTACY THREAD, NOT AN APPLE / PC PISSING CONTEST.

SORRY I made a JOKE about Apple ... now let it DIE!!!!!

Oh come on... it's a lot more interesting than a Canon/Nikon pissing contest

All this said, I'm not an Apple fanboy whatsoever, and I find such fanboys to be a very strange, (dare I say, pretentious?) lot of people. But I think 'Apple hate' experiences the same bandwagon effect. It's like... man, how can a company make a good product, and yet draw so much hate?

Back on topic though... yeah, I'd like an exotic telephoto prime. Either the 200/2, or the 300/2.8. I just don't see how much use I'd get out of them. Yeah, I know... people use them in studio portraits.

But damnit... if I have a pretty model, I want to be *closer* to her, not further . I can fix her distorted nose in post.

Nov 26, 2012 at 06:08 PM
Exdsc
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · What's your fantasy purchase?

krickett wrote:
...Let's say I offered you a customizable DSLR. You can choose the mount, the image sensor, the LCD, the button layout, the chassis, the pentaprism mirror box, pop up flash or not, the eyepiece, etc.

That'd be a fantasy purchase.

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:03 PM
ChrisDM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Wow, I didnt think my Mac Pro dream request would get so much attention! As for the "no person who understands computers would pick a Mac" comment: I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, and I edit photos on a PC I built running Windows 8. I also have a business degree, which is how I know that Macs are impossible to justify from a business standpoint. But remember, this is a fantasy-money-is-no-object thread. So yeah, lets throw a Mac Pro next to my killer Windows box. I know the difference between the two, and I'm not a fanboy nor a hater.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM
robert829
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · What's your fantasy purchase?

Hmmmmmm....TWINKIES

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:46 PM
charles sharpe
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · What's your fantasy purchase?

For me it would be a simple Nikon 500mm f4 I think I have left it too late in life know. I've had a good one.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1       2       3      
       5       6       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.