New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Thoughts?

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts?

Already posted my WA entry for the coffee theme, but I played around some and came away with this. I call it "Awakening." Thoughts?

Thanks!

Greg

Awakening

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:31 PM
gneto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts?

Greg, I would try and see how the image looks like with some more color - warmer colors, especially brown. I'm not particularly fond of the relief text on the cup, neither the overexposed top of the table - not because it's overexposed, but because it takes my eyes away from the coffe cup. If possible, I'd have thrown some more light on the coffee beans that are shadowed by the coffee cup.

Overall I like the concept of the image.

NOTE: I'm just a photographer-wannabe, so don't pay much attention to what I say if you don't agree with it. Just my two cents

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:05 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts?

gneto wrote:
Greg, I would try and see how the image looks like with some more color - warmer colors, especially brown. I'm not particularly fond of the relief text on the cup, neither the overexposed top of the table - not because it's overexposed, but because it takes my eyes away from the coffe cup. If possible, I'd have thrown some more light on the coffee beans that are shadowed by the coffee cup.

Overall I like the concept of the image.

NOTE: I'm just a photographer-wannabe, so don't pay much attention to what I say if you don't agree with it. Just
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback. Always welcome. I went with the high level light at the top to suggest "the lights coming on" after a cup of coffee. I didn't use any fill because I wanted the "highlights" on the beans, but not necessarily full detail. Anyway, that's what I was thinking.....

Greg

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:08 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts?

gregfountain wrote:
I went with the high level light at the top to suggest "the lights coming on" after a cup of coffee.

Nice concept - I can relate to that . Perhaps if you could somehow suggest that the coffee has already been drinken a little bit, it would complement your idea? (but I have no clue how on earth you could suggest it...)

I didn't use any fill because I wanted the "highlights" on the beans, but not necessarily full detail. Anyway, that's what I was thinking.....

Well, I commented about the lack of light because you had a great texture going on on the coffee beans, and I kinda wish it was there in the front beans as well.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:15 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts?

gneto wrote:
Nice concept - I can relate to that . Perhaps if you could somehow suggest that the coffee has already been drinken a little bit, it would complement your idea? (but I have no clue how on earth you could suggest it...)

Well, I commented about the lack of light because you had a great texture going on on the coffee beans, and I kinda wish it was there in the front beans as well.

Yeah, that's the problem with concept shots. A lot is left to the viewer's imagination! Thanks for the additional feedback!

Greg

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:19 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts?

Gneto....

Here is one I used a fill-brush on the front beans.....

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:21 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts?

I have no suggestions about what it takes to win an online competition, but I would think it would help if the coffee looked hot and had some rising steam. This cup of coffee looks cold.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:32 PM
gneto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thoughts?

I think it's better, but it's not really what I meant - I might have not expressed myself clearly. I would have liked to see the same highlights you have on the other coffee beans (because of the back lighting, I guess) on those front beans. Look at those beans on the left side of the image, and how the highlights really give them a very specific texture - that's what I meant. But I admit I don't know if it would be possible to throw such light into those front beans with the cup in the way... anyway, your new version is, for my taste, much better than having those front beans dark in the shade.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:35 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thoughts?

Camperjim wrote:
I have no suggestions about what it takes to win an online competition, but I would think it would help if the coffee looked hot and had some rising steam. This cup of coffee looks cold.

Thanks Jim. If you look at the competition from one aspect, then yes, the coffee is cold. I tend to use my imagination, sometimes to my detriment, to convey a concept, but this one so far seems to be failing.....

Greg

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:37 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thoughts?

gneto wrote:
I think it's better, but it's not really what I meant - I might have not expressed myself clearly. I would have liked to see the same highlights you have on the other coffee beans (because of the back lighting, I guess) on those front beans. Look at those beans on the left side of the image, and how the highlights really give them a very specific texture - that's what I meant. But I admit I don't know if it would be possible to throw such light into those front beans with the cup in the way... anyway, your
...Show more

No worries. In my mind, it works like this because it goes from darkness to light as you go up the composition. In other words...groggy...coffee....awakening....like that. Obviously, if I have to explain it, I didn't get it right!

Greg

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:40 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thoughts?

Just for the fun of it....

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:48 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.