New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

alvit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

and this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-IPS-LED-CVN85-27-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B009H0XQQY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353965106&sr=1-3&keywords=dell+27+monitor

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:27 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Cyber monday Deal on u2711 $649.99
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2711-27-inch-Widescreen/dp/B0039648BO

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:51 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

alvit wrote:
and this one?
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-IPS-LED-CVN85-27-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B009H0XQQY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353965106&sr=1-3&keywords=dell+27+monitor

I suspect you could be very happy with this one much better than the other one. Also see my previos post for a good deal.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:54 PM
xvvvz

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

The B&H pricing is just a temporary odd occurrence I think. They are having a sale on the 27" without the software for some reason. I was just pointing out that you could possibly save money by buying the calibration stuff separately.

The Spectraview software will work with a number of different pucks. It will work better than nothing with non-wide gamut pucks but not do as good of a job as with a wide gamut puck when calibrating the extended gamut portions of color. You don't have to use the NEC puck. An older (and newer) i1 Pro or a new i1 Display Pro or a current model of Spyder should work fine since they are designed for wide gamuts. See the NEC Spectraview page.

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:13 AM
acktdi

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

The Dell U2713HM is available at costco.com for $650 shipped, tax not included. The ASUS PB278Q is also a good contender. They're both reviewed on the technology site www.anandtech.com

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6460/asus-pb278q-review-an-ips-competitor-emerges
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6308/dell-u2713hm-unbeatable-performance-out-of-the-box

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:53 PM
didenko

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Beware of Dell monitors' color depths for photography applications.

U2711 more than a billion colors
U2713HM less than 17 million colors
U2713H more than a billion colors

Prices reflect the "M" designation.

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:10 PM
I.G.I.
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

pjny wrote:
Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

I'm getting the D800 or D4 in the near future and thought of upgrading my monitor. My Dell 2405 is starting to die after 6 years(can't calibrate properly as the blue (RGB) channel is not working).

I'm looking for a 27" Mac Cinema Display or something equivalent with Dell or Samsung. I looked at the Dell U2711 but it looks like it has some issues and the price is close to the Cinema display.

My budget is about $1000.

I will be editing using Lightroom 4.2 for editing and printing photos.

I looked at the Eizo
...Show more

Bought Eizo ColorEdge CG223W not long ago, and hope my impression would be beneficial to you. It is the smallest monitor in the Color Graphic range with very utilitarian look (no Apple glamour here). However, the monitor came with individual testing sheet from the factory quality control (I gasped because these days one don't see too many things individually tested).... the Eizo calibration software is a breeze and free(!), and works with literally every hardware calibration device, past or present... last but not least, there is a terrific hood included, itself lined on the inside with some kind of specialized fabric to damp any stray light/reflection. I would say that, roughly, if the included software and hood were sold retail as "accessories" I would have been forced to spend 35 to 50% more... In other words, I consider the monitor a terrific value for money.

It is dead quiet; the utilitarian grayish-black thin plastic frame completely disappear in use; the screen is matt (that was a must for me) with not even a hint of reflection; and come calibrated and with several build in profiles. All in all, I am having a really hard time to find even a single negative point.

Oh, almost forgot, it comes with 5 years standard warranty!!! I stand to be corrected but I thing Eizo is the only player in the industry to offer such warranty conditions.

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:18 PM
I.G.I.
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Btw, before purchase I was on the fence between NEC and Eizo. What swayed me in direction of Eizo was some information I read about NEC, that in a nutshell their Spectra Reference range is artificially tiered on two levels, with the lower level monitors artificially crippled, and that due to this fact the effectiveness of NEC own software in the monitor adjustment is very limited. This is a very liberal summary, don't have the time and energy now to dig the journalistic source. In any case, I am extremely negative towards such sharp business practices so spending my money on NEC became a no-no. The other point was that NEC profiling software is not included as standard, but only part of their priciest offers.

If unaware the linked site do very detailed (though a bit boring) monitor reviews. Highly recommended pre-purchase read.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/index2.html

Feb 11, 2013 at 04:47 PM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Another vote for the U2711. By the way is it wide gamut your after? Because the mac screen isn't quite wide gamut, its pretty much sRGB.

Feb 11, 2013 at 05:48 PM
didenko

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Dell colors: >1B, 99% AdobeRGB and 100% sRGB at a deltaE of less than 2, 120% of color gamut based on CIE1976 (83%) and CIE1931 (72%) test standards

$ 850 Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27" - !!! promised availability in MARCH 2013
$ 74 Accidental Damage Service, Adv Exchange, to 5 Year Limited Warranty
$ 250 Xrite EODIS3 i1Display Pro
$ free Shipping
------
$ 1174 Total

EIZO colors: >1B, sRGB/Rec709/EBU/SMPTE-C: 100%, Adobe RGB: 97%, DCI: 91%

$ 2610 ColorEdge CG276W-BK - !!! promised availability in MARCH 2013
$ pay Shipping
======
$ 1436 In-pocket difference (not accounting for shipping, tax, cables)

Build-in color reader is convenient. However, I have (use right at this moment) ColorEdge CE240W for 6 years now. Nice monitor, just started yellow-band while warming up. Color calibration features were nice while lasted. Within a couple month of the end of warranty EIZO told me, that they will not port their software to support OS X 10.8 for this monitor. Their solution - buy another solution. So I bought another calibrator with software.

A combination of Dell with XRite will give me same or better future value. I do not see anymore, why pay for EIZO except for "cool" gimmicks. As far as convenience goes (USB, OSD menu, etc.) Dell beats EIZO hands down. By the way, individual factory calibration matters until the first time you calibrate yourself.

Edited on Feb 12, 2013 at 08:40 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Use a Dell U2711, very happy with it, agree with another poster, it puts out some heat. If I get up close to it to look at someting closely, you can fill the heat, but honestly sitting back as you normally do to work on the computer, its not an issue.

Question for other U2711 users, I havn't calibrated mine. How much correction was needed when you did calibrate. Just trying to get some perspective, as to how much off it is coming from manufacture.

Feb 12, 2013 at 03:29 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

I am currently using an IMac
Since the computer is basically inside the monitor ( I'm sure there's a better, more technical way to state that ) - is there a way I can begin using an external monitor like the Dell U2713H?
Thanks.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:27 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Go for the 27" Samsung S27B970D. Excellent monitor, high resolution and very good color gamut for about $1000. Only minor con so far - the on/off switch is underneath a plastic cover and needs to be pressed hard. A simple switch would have been better. But otherwise it is a fantastic monitor, great for photo processing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 08:51 PM
didenko

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

uintaangler: I am currently using an IMac Since the computer is basically inside the monitor ( I'm sure there's a better, more technical way to state that ) - is there a way I can begin using an external monitor like the Dell U2713H?

Depends on your iMac model. Newer ones do allow that. You better off checking the details with Apple.

Feb 13, 2013 at 09:14 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

As a long-time Nanao/Eizo junkie, I recently acquired the SX2762W 27" for a small increment over OP's budget. It's not part of the very pricey CG line, but I can't tell what I gave up (other than a bundled calibrator kit and hood). I'm using it in portrait mode, which is a total hoot. Mostly importantly for photography, it has aRGB, critical color balance, and 30-bit output. The latter requires supporting video adapter and cabling (Quadro 600 and DP in my case). Using custom X11 software, I perused a gray-scale gradient with per-channel depths of 6-10 bits. Confirming my CRT experience, 8 bits is not quite enough. Meanwhile, 9 bits is enough, and 10 is gravy.

Feb 13, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Mr.Konstantin
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Using Dell U3011 here and so far its been great. Not sure the difference Ezio and NEC gives in terms of calibrated dE values and if they have any benefits as they are only fractions off from Dell's. I would recommend Dell and a good puck to calibrate as mentioned above.

Cheers!

Feb 14, 2013 at 12:58 PM
didenko

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

And the pre-announcement pricing on U2713H is no more - it is now $150 more expensive. The new costs look like this:

$ 999 Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27" - !!! promised availability in MARCH 2013
$ 74 Accidental Damage Service, Adv Exchange, to 5 Year Limited Warranty
$ 250 Xrite EODIS3 i1Display Pro
$ free Shipping
------
$ 1323 Dell set

$ 2610 ColorEdge CG276W-BK - !!! promised availability in MARCH 2013
$ pay Shipping
======
$ 1287 In-pocket difference (not accounting for shipping, tax, cables)

No longer you can buy two Dell sets for one Eizo, but pretty close still

Feb 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

Just found this thread as Dell has sale on their U2711 screen:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&sku=224-8284

Coupon: RDSVHG$9FHDJ44

Price: $650 (plus TAX, free shipping)

Feb 16, 2013 at 03:30 PM
allebaug

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

megancanada wrote:
"Is the extended warranty worth it for $130?"

Thanks.

Last Fall my U2410 went black just a few months before the 3-year warranty was up. Dell sent a replacement, delivered within two days, with a return shipping label for the dead monitor. I'd say my warranty expense was worth the cost!

Feb 17, 2013 at 01:14 PM
jeremy2013

p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Looking for a 27" monitor (Mac/Samsung/Dell) for photo editing

If the Dell U2711 won't work well for you, you can try the Viewsonic VP2765-LED. It's way cheaper than the dell but the output is great. Or you can go for the Dell UltraSharp U3011 30-Inch. It's a tad higher than your budget but I think this is the best option you have as a monitor for photo editing

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:05 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.