New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

I have a canon 500 f4 v1 and bought the canon 600 f4 v2. Same weight more reach.

I used to use the lowepro 600awII for in my car and the kata3n1-20 to take it on the plane.

The 600aw fit my 500 with lens hood on and was spacious enough that I could stand it up behind my driver seat and put the lens in with hood down and camera on open and be able to quickly take it in and out. I like this position because it takes up less room and there is no risk of stuff rubbing against the lens glass.The 600 is too big in diameter to easily go in and out of the case. It is also too big with the hood on to be zipped up.

The kata3n1-20 with all the insides removed was able to fit the 500 very snugly with the lens hood pointed in. It fit in the the overhead or under the seat in a small jet.The 600 is too long and wide for the case.

So I need suggestions:
1) Is there a (with backpack straps preferably) semi soft lens case that would fit my 600 f4 v2with hood on sitting up, with enough space that it slides out easily.
2) Is there a soft lens case that would fit my 600 f4 v2 with hood in and packed tightly so it would fit under the airplane chair or overhead in a small plane.

Suggestions are appreciated. What are the 600 v1 guys using for air and car.

I am heading for florida for christmas and my wife booked me on a smaller jet.

Scott

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM
John--G
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

Check out Kinesis Long Lens Cases.

http://www.kgear.com/store/

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:45 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

Kinesis++

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:09 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

These are now discontinued, so i actually just bought a second one to have on reserve as i don't care for the new design.

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/gura-gear-kiboko-30l-backpack.html

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:38 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

John-g, Matt4626, and Big Country:

I have been following the suggestions and am leaning toward:
1) Kinesis L622 long lens case - it is reputed to fit lens with hood out, and closed without body. 26 3/7 x 7 7/8. $296
2) Kata KT-PL-CC-192 for the airplane - it is likely to fit lens with hood in tightly and fit under the seat 19x8x10" $169

But boy is the Kinesis expensive - the lowepro was $200 with straps (unfortunately although it would work in the car sticking out, it would not work for hiking without inverting the lens hood).

Any other cheaper than Kinesis L622 with similar length.?

Thanks for the suggestions. Scott

Air Canada - Large Planes

Calm Air - Smaller Plane

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:20 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

There is also the Tenba line of long lens cases

here

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

mitesh wrote:
There is also the Tenba line of long lens cases

here

tenba LL600II Long lens bag is 22.5" interior which is okay for packing if its collapsed but that means it would take me 5 minutes to get it out put, reverse the hood, and get the lens on.

Thats the same as my lowepro. So its as good as what I have but not good for back packing with a quick draw.

I appreciate the suggestion. Scott

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

matt4626 wrote:
Kinesis++

Kinesis is L622 fits with hood and without body on but is expensive and does not come with back pack straps. But seems to be the best alternative for fastest draw at a high price. At $300 plus more for backpack straps.

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

Scott Stoness wrote:
but that means it would take me 5 minutes to get it out put, reverse the hood, and get the lens on.

Thats the same as my lowepro. So its as good as what I have but not good for back packing with a quick draw.

I appreciate the suggestion. Scott

but would it take just as long to attach the body to the lens though since the bag can't take the combo with body attached? usually it takes me less than a minute to remove/attach the hood...

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:09 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

the other reason i like the gura gear is travel, i have traveled quite a bit over the last 2-3 years and never had a problem taking my gura gear anywhere.

the kinesis may create problems for you, can't speak on the other one...

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

Thang wrote:
but would it take just as long to attach the body to the lens though since the bag can't take the combo with body attached? usually it takes me less than a minute to remove/attach the hood...

Yes but that means I have to do two things - reverse the hood and screw it in and put a camera on it. Putting a camera on can be done when it is in the bag after unzipping. Reversing the hood has risk in that the lens is exposed and I must juggle it in an exposed position.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

big country wrote:
the other reason i like the gura gear is travel, i have traveled quite a bit over the last 2-3 years and never had a problem taking my gura gear anywhere.

I shall go to the local camera store and see if they have it to look at. Thanks

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:49 PM
jfwoodman
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

big country wrote:

I also recommend the Kiboko 30L, and the price per Jason's link is a great deal. Doubt it will be in your camera store, but the 30L would be a great, light, travel bag for the 600 II.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:50 AM
M.P.R.
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

I tried the lowepro, for me it felt too weak to trust with an expensive lens.

I have both the Kinesis and Kiboko 30L for my 500mm. If just traveling/hiking with the long lens the Kinesis kicks major ass. But for traveling with a kit, the Kiboko rules. If I had to pick just one, would have to be the Kiboko, so I can travel with more kit. Only downsides to the Kiboko is weight is offset to one side when loaded with the long lens, and there is no room for lens with camera attached, for a quick pull and shoot. Which is why I keep the Kinesis.

Both bags are made extremely well, feel very secure and are worth the high prices. IMO

For something like an airshow or wildlife. I will take the Kinesis loaded with 7D and 500mm. Then strap a small thinktank bag to it, holding 5d2 with 70-300L. Works out very well for easy access to both camera combos, as the Kinesis has many little secure tabs to strap other bags.

Frank

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:26 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

I also have the Kiboko 30L and the Kinesis 522 long lens case. The 522 is about 23 inches for outside length. Kiboko is great for an airplane traveling bag.

Twice I have flown and used the Kiboko for the 600mmII and put the lens hood in my checked luggage. We went to Ethiopia and I put the Kinesis in my checked luggage with lens hood and clothes inside it. Once there traveling around it was easy to have the 600 set up with the 1Dmk4 inside the Kinesis. With lid closed the hood needs to be reversed but I had the hood extended and allowed the camera to stick out while covering it with a towel ready to use.

We each have the Kinesis 522 long lens bag set up with shoulder straps and hip belt. Went with the 522 because you can have a camera attached to either a 600mmII or a 800mm ready to go, just have to reverse the hood in the shooting position. I can have the 1Dmk4, 1.4xIII and 600mmII with lens hoodie and still close the lid, but it does push on the camera some. There are many points on the Kinesis bag to strap on whatever you want or have.
Patrick

Edited because we have the Kinesis 522 not the 622.

Nov 27, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

jfwoodman, MPR, PV Hiker: Thank you for your advice. I am off to look at bags this afternoon. Much appreciated. Scott

Nov 29, 2012 at 08:55 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

The first purchase for the smallest back possible that would just fit the 600v2 with inverted hood and likely go under the seat as my "personal bag" or in the overhead of a small regional jet.

It just fit - for width and lenght in the kata CC-192 PL.
exterior 21" x 10" x 11" but the 10" looks like it will squish to 9". Interior: 19"x9"x8".

Fits a 5diii in as well pretty tightly.Could also get my 7d and zeiss 25f2, and a flash in at the same time.
Now hopefully I can jump on a small regional plane and go without worries. This one will definitely fit under the seat and definitely will fit in a large plane overhead.

In addition to this new bag, I am planning to use a Kata 3N1-20 for 24-105, TS17, and 100-400, Zeiss 25f2 and zeiss 34 f1.4 I have put this bag in the overhead bin of a small air canada jet.

[I checked the kata CC-191 PL and it was definitely too small (about 14" inside).]

===================================

Next the kinesis bag for carrying with the lens hood and body on.
I could not find a smaller one that fit.

thats my 7d and 100-400 with hood in front of it.

all packed

Edited on Nov 29, 2012 at 09:43 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:13 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1163160

loads on info here from other fm'ers!

cheers

dorian

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:25 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

Just an update:

A week ago, I traveled on United to Orlando. The first leg was on a regional jet to Denver crj-700, and the 2nd was on a 737-800.

The CC-192 PL, with the 600v2,5diii,24-105,1.4siii fitting very snugly, fit in the overhead bin of the regional jet with a bit of pushing (the handle sticks up), and the Kata 3N1-20 with 100-400,7d,24ts,17ts,flash/misc fit well under the chair in front of me with lots of room.

The cc-192 PL fit really easily in the 737, because it fit orientated long end to long end shoved in straight (as opposed to parrellel with the opening).

I checked my gitzo, head off, and gimbal in my checked in bag at it arrived undamaged too.

The only tip I will give in addition to this is to check in at the back of the plane so that if the overheads are filling you leave it further up the airplane.

So for travel - this combination worked very well. The only downside is that I did not have a protective standup bag for the car but something had to go. If I travel north, I will use big lugagge and pack my clothes in the big kinesis (when I get it - right now I am using lowenpro 600 II which is fine for in he car but does not zip up)

So if you looking for a bag combination that will get you on a regional carrier - this is a good combination.

Scott

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Suggestions re 600v2 Carrying Options

John--G wrote:
Check out Kinesis Long Lens Cases.

http://www.kgear.com/store/

I 2nd this. I had 1 for my 600mm and it allowed me to pack lens, with the 2 optional collars, with lens hood attached in shooting position and/or reversed with any Canon body attached also.
Extremely well built!
Dan

Dec 29, 2012 at 10:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.