Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

In particular, the Slappa M.A.S.K. DLSR backpack ?

It has enough space for a massive laptop such as my Alienware M17x and plenty of camera gear.

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:42 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

0.5" padding? i'm looking for less and they pile it on.

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:14 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

Ya, their MASK system is extremely customizable and used for a lot of rugged applications. The basic body is the same for all, hence the thick padding. I am considering getting this for an international carry-on but it is about 1-2" wider than most regulations. The empty bag weighs just 3.35 lbs though!

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:22 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

180-day warranty?

EBH

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:37 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

not my cup of tea. will become closet clutter after a reasonably short span of time. just about when your 180 day warranty runs out maybe. nothing really there to distinguish itself from the rest of the pack pack. definite youth market hipster.

Edited on Nov 25, 2012 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

EB-1 wrote:
180-day warranty?

EBH

1 year extended warranty on top of the 6 months regular warranty when bought from them, the 180 day one is for when you buy from retailers. On laptop forums, they rave about this backpack a lot so build quality should not be an issue. I will call up the company on monday and see if this is compressible to fit within the luggage size requirements. If not, I will just go with the TT Shapeshifter.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

the shapeshifter is a rather limited piece of equipment in its own right. thought about it for a short time then saw the light and it was not an option.

the laptop forums? yeah they have rather limited attention spans to begin with.

note none of the images shows the harness.

11" deep is quite a bit with the laptop against your back you would on some planes need to remove the laptop to smoosh it down somewhat on a smaller overhead.

then the weight distribution with that depth
that pack is pretty much shoulder loaded. that means with a laptop in it and a fair amount of gear as shown it will become not so friendly after awhile humping it along.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

Sigh, I know! I don't really have much of a choice when I want something to accomodate a massive laptop, a gripped body, 3-4 lenses, travel docs and still be within 18 lbs/carry-on size limits. Never again, Lufthansa..

I will probably end going with the shapeshifter.

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:04 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

Why do you want/need to travel with such a huge laptop? That's really going to limit your bag choices, as you're discovering, not to mention the health of your back.

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:34 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

vsg28 wrote:
Sigh, I know! I don't really have much of a choice when I want something to accomodate a massive laptop, a gripped body, 3-4 lenses, travel docs and still be within 18 lbs/carry-on size limits. Never again, Lufthansa..

I will probably end going with the shapeshifter.

you're not gonna do that and get around much. the shapeshifter isn't going help too much either.
with that load you need a "real" pack. you need to look into makers like F-stop that will support you with reasonable comfort. i'm sorry shoulder loading that bag your gonna be far from the happy face I wanna shoot mentality. another thing, a 17" monster Alienware thing was not designed to go the distance w/o a Sherpa to assist. what kills AW is that its 1.75" thick.
Bag: 3.5lbs
Alienware M17x: 9.4lbs
then there's the camera gear:

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

Damn, 9.4 lbs? I suppose that's not including the PS. You may need to prioritize whether this is a gaming trip or a photo trip. Perhaps just take enough memory cards.

I travel with a 3.1 lb. notebook that contains 2 up to 1TB drives and the PS is quite small too. It's not exactly the powerhouse of a giant gaming machine, but an i5 (Ivy Bridge) running at 3.1GHz under full load is no slouch and fine for travel.

EBH

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:11 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

This is a trip back home for a month's break from grad school. I will still be working on some papers and have a few trips planned. I can leave the alienware behind but my other laptop is a HP Pavilion DV9000 which is another 17.3" but 2.5 lb lighter and a bit thinner as well. Thanks for all your help guys, but I guess all I can do is take the laptop out when weighing and claim it as my personal item apart from the carry-on.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

where are you flying to on lufti?

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:57 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

India and back to Houston, via Frankfurt.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

ah, a "star alliance" flight

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:46 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

It doesn't appear to have a waist belt -- and without one all that weight is on your spine. You'll be a couple inches shorter after wearing it for a while.

Nov 27, 2012 at 03:20 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

Bought the TT Shapeshifter on student discount and free USPS priority. The rep even threw in a pixel pocket rocket for free. This is probably my best shot.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:05 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

Ben Horne wrote:
It doesn't appear to have a waist belt -- and without one all that weight is on your spine. You'll be a couple inches shorter after wearing it for a while.

I suspect he is a young-un and will learn through the pain. That reminds me of a vacation in 1982. My shoulder still hurts just thinking about it.

EBH

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:28 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

I am indeed a young-un but realize the benefit of a good waist belt

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone got experience with Slappa backpacks?

then you know that a waist belts function is rather limited but a hip belt on a proper pack is so much better

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password