Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · my girl and her guitar

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · my girl and her guitar

i cut off the end of the guitar, does it diminish the image

NIKON D700    24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8 lens    40mm    f/5.0    1/125s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · my girl and her guitar

Yes.

That's not to say you can't shoot a guitar pic without all of it in the frame. But this one has only a tiny bit cut off, so it looks like a mistake. Maybe you were concentrating on the girl and not the edges of the frame.

In this shot, she's looking down at the strings, so a shot of her and the strings (not showing the guitar end) should work.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:18 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #3 · my girl and her guitar

Jim Rickards wrote:
Yes.

That's not to say you can't shoot a guitar pic without all of it in the frame. But this one has only a tiny bit cut off, so it looks like a mistake. Maybe you were concentrating on the girl and not the edges of the frame.

In this shot, she's looking down at the strings, so a shot of her and the strings (not showing the guitar end) should work.

well it was a mistake, i can crop tighter or i may reshoot and ps the end of guitar on. thanks Jim

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:21 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · my girl and her guitar

No. I like it just as it is. It doesn't look like a mistake to me.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:32 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · my girl and her guitar

Jim Rickards wrote:
Yes.

+1 (As usual...Jim posts a good comment that reflects how I see it too. )

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:33 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · my girl and her guitar

You could possibly crop it square and have an OK photo, but if you do not wish to crop like that, I have to vote to re-shoot and backup a little and give a little more real estate above her head.
Douglas

Edited on Nov 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:36 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #7 · my girl and her guitar

i dont like the square, gonna re-shoot

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:10 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #8 · my girl and her guitar

Only reason I noticed it was because you pointed it out....Nice shot as is

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:20 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #9 · my girl and her guitar

thanks guys for all the input and cc

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:43 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · my girl and her guitar

It's a little "tight" for me too, Mike. She might be a little young to call ya out on it...
but musicians HATE their instruments (and heads) chopped off. Having mentioned this,
I still like the shot and processing.

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:53 PM

boshek
• • •
p.1 #11 · my girl and her guitar

thanks will, I will reshoot!!!

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:14 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · my girl and her guitar

Just to set the record straight, I too like the photo. The girl has her charm. It's just that it would be better with the end of the guitar included.

Especially so, since the lens used was at 40mm and the end of the guitar is enlarged due to lens distortion. You don't want to enlarge something that you want people to not notice.

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:31 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #13 · my girl and her guitar

Jim Rickards wrote:
Just to set the record straight, I too like the photo. The girl has her charm. It's just that it would be better with the end of the guitar included.

Especially so, since the lens used was at 40mm and the end of the guitar is enlarged due to lens distortion. You don't want to enlarge something that you want people to not notice.

got it, thanks for the advice about the lens distortion. so should I back up and use the lens at a longer focal length??

Nov 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · my girl and her guitar

Probably.

40mm is a focal length where you are likely to get some distortion from the lens. Things on the edges will be distorted. Most portrait folks will use a longer lens. With careful planning you can get good shots that are wide.

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:22 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #15 · my girl and her guitar

Overall I kinda like the shot. I've made my living shooting musicians for the last thirty odd years and have more than my share of guitars in photos. The headstock on this being cut off is not a big deal unless you're advertising the guitar, and in this case, I'm pretty sure you're not. The only place I'd like to see some breathing room is at the top of her head and maybe between the heel and lower bout, which is just a bit close to the frame edge.

The lighting is quite nice, but it almost looks like the point of sharpest focus is slightly behind her eyes. In a shot like this, you really don't need a lot of depth of field, so maybe opening up to f/2 or 2.8 and making sure the focus was exactly on her eye, would separate her just a bit from the chair and really put the focus, so to speak, on her.

And seriously, I'm not seeing any appreciable so called wide angle distortion in this shot. The head stock looks completely normal. It's barely coming at the camera at all, and certainly not enough to make a difference. It is a small body guitar suitable for someone that size, so the head and neck might look larger to some, but it's not because of the lens.

Maybe have her playing a nice barre chord next time. Her left hand should probably be doing something that makes sense from a playing perspective. But overall - a nice start with very nice light and beautiful tonality. Good job!

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:52 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #16 · my girl and her guitar

crop little tighter and it is perfect

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:19 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #17 · my girl and her guitar

Peter Figen wrote:
Overall I kinda like the shot. I've made my living shooting musicians for the last thirty odd years and have more than my share of guitars in photos. The headstock on this being cut off is not a big deal unless you're advertising the guitar, and in this case, I'm pretty sure you're not. The only place I'd like to see some breathing room is at the top of her head and maybe between the heel and lower bout, which is just a bit close to the frame edge.

The lighting is quite nice, but it almost looks like
...Show more

love the feedback, thanks
ps she doesnt really know how to play!

Nov 25, 2012 at 01:25 PM
cannpope
• •
p.1 #18 · my girl and her guitar

The girl draws my eye's attention, the end of the guitar...WHO CARES!!! Looks just fine to me!

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:39 PM
bobbyv
• •
p.1 #19 · my girl and her guitar

Peter Figen wrote:

The lighting is quite nice, but it almost looks like
...Show more

Wow...my thoughts exactly. I love the image but would like to see all of the guitar and a chord being played. Nice work!

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #20 · my girl and her guitar

ty

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password