New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

John P Mulgrew
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Love the iPhone4s but I really do suck at taking pics with it so was wondering if the Canon PowerShot G15
would be a good P&S to keep in my car when I leave the DSLR at home. Anyone here use it and like it? The iPhone is a good thing to have when you have nothing else but as I said I don't have much luck with it. I shoot mainly RAW and probably would the P&S as well or maybe not

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:52 PM
gfiksel
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

G15 is a great camera. Fast focusing, fast lens, bullet proof body. I don't think I miss the swivel screen, just the opposite, it makes it more compact and it fits in my jacket's pocket. A perfect camera for hikes, skiing, etc.
Shoots RAW as well
If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

I really thought it would be great to use the iPhone but I'm just no good with it and I really do want something that I can count on when I don't have my 1DX with me. I'm so used to the just the viewfinder so the swivel screen doesn't matter. Looks light and it's on sale Thank you.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:43 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Neither of these are EOSfun A Sony RX 100 is much more like your iPhone in size. Don't forget that one and compare it with the G15. If you prefer the ergonomics of the Canon go G15, if you want the most compact boy around top image quality you might prefer the RX100.

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:58 AM
gcuff
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Will concur with eosfun. Just back from polar bear trip where 1dx was primary camera but used rx100 for walking around Winnipeg, quick snaps around tundra lodge and out of plane window. Very pleased with quality.

Geoff

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:26 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

wow that thing is small and interesting even without viewfinder, thanks for pointing out will give it some serious thought, 10 fps, nice!!!

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:45 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Don't get hung up on the viewfinder. The Vf on the G series is poor, so you'd end up using the screen anyway

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:13 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Don't get hung up on the viewfinder. The Vf on the G series is poor, so you'd end up using the screen anyway

I'm really liking what I see and read about the Sony and was also looking at some images it took, impressive and I want it hahahaha thanks

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:29 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Just ordered the Sony, it really does look like a high quality camera that I can have on me at all times when I leave the 1DX at home, thanks for the advice

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:22 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

You'll enjoy it. I'm still testing the limits of my RX100. In real world situations, I find that the dynamic range and color are better than my 40D, and noise is similar. Obviously focus speed and overall handling aren't as good as a DSLR, but it is really impressive for it's size.

The Richard Freniac grip makes it a lot easier to hold on to, and if you install it properly, you wouldn't even know it was an aftermarket add-on, well worth the $35.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

John P Mulgrew wrote:
Love the iPhone4s but I really do suck at taking pics with it so was wondering if the Canon PowerShot G15
would be a good P&S to keep in my car when I leave the DSLR at home. Anyone here use it and like it? The iPhone is a good thing to have when you have nothing else but as I said I don't have much luck with it. I shoot mainly RAW and probably would the P&S as well or maybe not

Why not an S110, then you can leave it in your pocket.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:24 PM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Waiting on UPS to deliver the RX100, can't wait to try it!!!

Nov 27, 2012 at 09:13 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · iPhone or PowerShot G15?

Got a hand strap for it but almost impossible to put on, don't want to be dropping this thing.

Nov 27, 2012 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.