Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

firstgear99
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch tested with Canon 1DsIII (Eye-Fi 16GB card with latest firmware and software).

Eye-Fi would not transfer the photo to full screen. Did a search and it appears this is a known problem that they have been working on for some time (>4 months or so). Works ok, but seemed that when a photo was taken I wasn't always sure if the photo was going to transfer. My opinion. Just ok. Really IMO only good for transfer to iPad (retina display). The card was about $100 for the 16Gb Pro-X 2.

Hooked up ShutterSnitch and supposedly you can do more with it than Eye-Fi, but I couldn't figure it out. It just transferred the photos. I felt that the ShutterSnitch did it better than Eye-Fi, even though it used the Eye-Fi card to make the transfer. Apps store sells this for about $17.11 with tax. I was hoping to do more than just transfer photos. Supposedly you can do more, but I haven't figured out yet and don't plan on jail breaking my iPad to do it.

Which brings me to CamRanger. This was tested on my 7D (they are working on getting it to work with 1DsIII) and it worked well. Transfers photos easily and gives you control on the settings in the camera. It doesn't over ride where the dial is set. If it is on Tv, then you can only change the settings associated with that dial setting. But you have control over ISO, over/under compensation, drive, etc. it does all of this with ease. The intravalometer works great, even when the iPad is turned off and no longer connected. It will run until the CR runs out of battery or the camera runs out first! The CR costs about $335 or so shipped with extra battery.

I also bought a SD to CF adapter that "is supposed to work with Eye-Fi", but that has mixed reviews on the Internet too. That was about $15 on Amazon. I will report back on that to let you know how good or bad that works. Stay tuned.

This is my opinion, YMMV.

Edited on Nov 24, 2012 at 01:30 AM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:09 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #2 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

I bought the 3rd generation extreme CF adapter SD to Type II CF (blue in color), here is where I got mine... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKO7R8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

It cost $15.....once I found the wifi signal from the Eye-Fi, the photos I had taken started downloading with ShutterSnitch to my iPad.

If you have your iPad tied into another wifi source, the iPad wireless has to be pointed at the card to go. Otherwise it won't go. If the iPad is not pointed to any signal (I had to tell it to forget the signal in the house), it would automatically tie into the Eye-Fi signal, transfer the photo and be ready to go again.

I need to do some more homework on the ShutterSnitch to see what it takes to do as much as CamRanger. Stay tuned for more to come......

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:29 AM
corndog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

These devices looked intriguing because I love gadgets, but is it just to avoid using a cable?

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:35 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #4 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

CamRanger has an advertised range up to 150ft.....how long is your cable?

This was so I could use my iPad....tethered, but free.......

This is an interesting use......I could see that photographers that don't have this capability will be at a disadvantage of those that do......excitement like the young ladies were showing equals sales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwexMl2ZZuA

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:22 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

That is a good use, but still not really any different than sticking an SD card in the iPad. Is the hotspot device in the guy's pocket required? I like to minimize battery powered accessories whenever possible. Anyway, you were using the iPad to shoot 'tethered', but wireless? Controlling the camera remotely and wirelessly? That sounds like a clean setup, I could see plenty sports applications for that. I've wanted to try the eyefi for a while, just to see how well it works, but haven't really come across that situation where I was thinking "man, I wish I had a wireless card right now!". How is the wireless security?

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

firstgear99
• •
p.1 #6 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

Wireless security is via password, no better or worse than your your home network (mine is actually better as I have mine setup to not broadcast the name of the network at home, you have to know the name to find it and then the password, only way to go).

The latest generation of Eye-Fi cards have built in wireless transmitters. The device he stuck in his pocket is not required. That was for the previous generation of cards. The new ones have their own transmitters....amazing!

Controlling camera wirelessly does require that CamRanger (at least for now the only way I know) be plugged in with its short USB cable to its wireless transmitter, but then you can control from iPad. You can change focus points and stack photos if you want to open up the depth of field for instance. But you can't change the zoom (no motor drive to move it, at least not yet) nor can you pivot the camera (again need motor drive to do that). But if you had that stuff, you could go with live view and see all of that with CamRanger. I would imagine it is just a matter of time and someone will have that too.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:20 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #7 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

corndog wrote:
That is a good use, but still not really any different than sticking an SD card in the iPad.
in the video, did you see his workflow? Can you imagine pulling the SD card out of the camera on each shot to load it and then show the clients then plug back in and shoot again just to download all over again? Ugh, that isn't going to get you sales...the benefit is almost instant review of the photos......

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:24 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

Ha, of course not. You'd run xx people through, toss your iPad buddy the card, insert new, rinse and repeat. I'm not necessarily saying it's better, but carburetors tend to be more reliable than fuel injection, if you catch my parallel. Also, keep in mind that there's a fairly specific hardware requirement for this setup. They must be shooting low res jpegs to the SD card in order to get two second transfers. That means no more large files on the SD card, no RAW, no 'RAID 1' type setup, and it probably eliminates users who only have an SD card slot and need fast transfers (unless they shoot low res and only sell 4x6 prints). If your main interest is high volume jpeg event shooting like this, I bet you'd get some good first hand experience in the Sports Corner.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:34 AM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #9 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

Lol, my 60 vette has electronic fuel injection.....computer controlled....no carbs for me.....

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:38 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #10 · Initial reactions to CamRanger, Eye-Fi and ShutterSnitch

First, Eye-Fi. I don't like using it by itself (I can appreciate being frustrated with it), I haven't found a problem with that and ShutterSnitch. Try it with ShutterSnitch, what a difference. So far that seems to work great for me in terms of downloading photos to my iPad or iPhone.. It only downloads jpegs, even though it is supposed to download RAW. Eye-Fi by itself is really not very good....but with ShutterSnitch it is much better, enough that I bought two more cards. ShutterSnitch is available in the App Store. Runs about $16......but it works based on my limited fussing with it this past weekend. Works best if you are not tied into any other networks, in that case with the iPad open and on, when a photo is taken, the iPad and ShutterSnitch find the Eye-Fi card, connect and automatically download the photo. From when the photo is taken to when it loads into the iPad, the first time I did it tonight and measured it, it took 1 minute to load one photo. I then took 5 consecutive shots with my 1DsIII and the camera found the iPad and started downloading at 38 seconds and had loaded all 5 shots in 22 seconds. These photos show an actual size of about 6.7MB, so decent size.

I ran the 5 shot test one more time and again, the iPad was finding the Eye-Fi/ShutterSnitch in about 30 seconds, starting download at around 38 seconds and completing the download of 5 large photos to the iPad before the 60 second mark.

One last test, single shot. The two setups found themselves in about 23 seconds and the single photo was downloaded by about 30 seconds.

Moving on to the CamRanger. Interesting....CamRanger is really a TP-LINK Battery Powered Wireless N Router. model number TL-MR3040. Pop out the battery and all the information is right there. The battery is a TP-LINK 68A2000

There is information on the web page link on the specific unit and battery.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-MR3040

There is a code that links the router to the software. You can't open the software without the code. Without the software it just doesn't work.

The key is the software to drive the camera through the router.

CamRanger loaded the photo through the wireless connection in under 4 seconds. The big difference is that CR keeps a dedicated WiFi connection where EF/SS had to find each other, there isn't a dedicated connected WIFI signal between the card and iPad like there is with CR.

CR battery is easily changed and supposedly gives 3 to 4 hours of life per charge. You can control the camera from CR, I haven't figured out how to do that with EF/SS.

I view the two devices very differently.

If I wanted to control the camera remotely, then CamRanger. Probably for settings where the camera was stationary on a tripod or similar location. The refresh rate through the camera in live view doesn't lend itself very well IMO for action sports. Using the camera with the CR as a download it would be no problem. Remember there is a cable from the camera to the CR wireless router.

CR has limited cameras that work with it right now. Dave, the developer told me that he was working with CR to work with the 1DsIII. He thought he was a couple of weeks away. Check the website for cameras that he has cracked the code on already.

What else can I tell you?

Regards, Herb

Nov 27, 2012 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password