end

Archive 2012 · E-P1 ?

cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · E-P1 ?

johnahill wrote:
How about a different solution.

It's not alt and it's mot manual but the new Canon 40mm/2.8 STM pancake is a great lens and on a 5D makes a great combo.

Might just fit in a large coat pocket.

Hmmm. 5D plus pancake. That is something I have'nt considered for a while.

However, if I was to do it, I would likely grab a Rokkor 45 pancake for some pocket change and have another go at converting it. My first and only attempt fell apart (literally).

I appreciate the suggestion, but it is very difficult to imagine a time in my life that I would buy a modern Canon AF lens.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · E-P1 ?

curious80 wrote:
I disliked NEX-C3 body when I tried it because of the way it handles, but NEX-5N is better (not excellent but definitely better). The controls seem very basic at first but once configured to your choice, can work pretty well. The touch to magnify support is great for manual focusing.

Another one to look into is NX200. It is a much better body to hold than the NEX-5N and has better controls more like the canon with rear and top wheel. You can probably find one in $300 range. The downside is that it isn't suitable for rangefinder lenses due to
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the NX200. Don't know what it is, but I am certain you know more about mirrorless systems than I do!

As stated earlier, I am not one for gimmicky touchy screeny zoomy peeky blinky things.

Coming to grips with composing a photo on an LCD is about the only compromise I am willing to make. Even that has proven to be a bit of a challenge in the past. I have literally had to purchase a new camera for someone due to my reaction to this "feature". I am ashamed to admit that...

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:48 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · E-P1 ?

michael49 wrote:
Paul, I don't think you'll like it - because its not a 5d.

Seriously, I've read enough of your posts over the years.

Having said that, I do think that m4/3 is very capable, even with MF glass (despite what many say). The new m4/3 lenses are so good though (and so small) that sadly I don't use my MF glass as often any more.

For MF glass the 1.5X crop of the NEX (plus focus peaking) makes the Sony better overall better for MF glass in my view.

Still, m4/3 is stll very good with MF glass - I took this
...Show more

Fantastic quality, IMO! And a very nice shot of a wise, old golden! This is encouraging to me with respect to m4/3! (but, is it enough?... can I deal with the feel, the aspect ratio, the interface....?)

Re: focus peeking -- the idea makes me want to punch something. Once again an electronic solution to a problem that should not exist. A problem created so that its electronic solution can be marketed to the masses.

Me? Opinionated? Sure, but at least I am right!

Edited on Nov 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · E-P1 ?

freaklikeme wrote:
Paul, the E-330 was 4/3s, not micro. Are you sure you've got m4/3s adapters?

I used to own the E-P1 and 2, and I'm thinking if you go with either one of them, this will be a very short-lived experiment. Neither of those cameras offer a significant enough advantage size and weight-wise over the 5D to make carrying them around (with a couple of FF lenses) worth giving up what you're accustom to on the 5D, in both IQ and the way in which you use the camera.

I'm an idiot. Honestly, I've been out to lunch so long I don't even know the difference.

Seriously.

However, I think you are right. I think that anything discussed so far (with the exception, perhaps, of the X100) is going to result in a camera with .270 calibre damage.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · E-P1 ?

I really need to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread so far. I am actually quite overwhelmed by the quality and content of the responses. For you all to humour me is truly heartwarming.

I know it is difficult to understand where I am coming from, as you have all kept up and moved on, as it were, with the constant, unrelenting progress called camera technology.

What's wrong with me? Why do I resist it all so intensely? I feel it in my bones.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM
curious80
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:

Re: focus peeking -- the idea makes me want to punch something. Once again an electronic solution to a problem that should not exist. A problem created so that its electronic solution can be marketed to the masses.

Obviously it is very subjective Many (most?) here consider the LCD with peaking and/or magnification to be superior to optical viewfinders for manual focus. So for them it is not a digital solution to a digital problem, for them it is a great tool which has been enabled by digital and was not available before. Personally I can do a much better job at manual focus with LCD than I ever managed when I had a 5D. Though I must admit I gave up very quickly with 5D, I probably would have improved a bit if I had tried long enough. But with LCD even without any magnification or peaking I learnt to manual focus fairly well pretty quickly. As for touch screen, it doesn't really matter whether a tool is digital or analog as long as it does what you need. People used magnifying loupes in the past for critical focus. A capability which has not been available in DSLRs. With touch screen to magnify, the facility has become available again and even easier to use. You can worry about it being digital or make use of it Btw NX200 that I mentioned doesn't have touch screen if that helps (It is a samsung mirrorless camera)

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:39 AM
kahren
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into the NX200. Don't know what it is, but I am certain you know more about mirrorless systems than I do!

As stated earlier, I am not one for gimmicky touchy screeny zoomy peeky blinky things.

Coming to grips with composing a photo on an LCD is about the only compromise I am willing to make. Even that has proven to be a bit of a challenge in the past. I have literally had to purchase a new camera for someone due to my reaction to this "feature". I am ashamed to admit
...Show more

do yourself a favor, if you end up getting anything mirrorless don't get one without a tilt screen, having to manual focus at arms lengths gets old fast, where with a tilty one you can have the camera lower and closer to you which makes turning that focus ring much easier. It is a bit different then shooting with a viewfinder, where it really woudln't matter if the camera has a tilt screen or doesn't if you are only using it to review the pics. Unless of course you are shooting only stationary things and have all the time in the world to compose each shot. This makes a big difference imo on how fast you hate a camera and also cuts down on a lot of cameras right away .
btw there is not much of a battery issue on the nex5n as there is with a c3, the 5n lasts more like 2 months if you leave the camera off vs couple of weeks with the c3 and the original nex3/5 are same as the 5n from what i can remember. If you are going to shoot jpeg the c3 and 5n are a noticeably better then the first gen 3/5 if you are shooting raw i don't think it matters much. hope that helps you a bit

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:16 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · E-P1 ?

cogitech wrote:
I really need to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread so far. I am actually quite overwhelmed by the quality and content of the responses. For you all to humour me is truly heartwarming.

I know it is difficult to understand where I am coming from, as you have all kept up and moved on, as it were, with the constant, unrelenting progress called camera technology.

What's wrong with me? Why do I resist it all so intensely? I feel it in my bones.

You should meet my girlfriend, she has a similar disdain for any new kind of technology.

I miss the old cameras, I really do. My OM2n, my OM4, my Hasselblad 500C. I could buy any of these now, but somehow there is no going back. Digital has allowed me to capture much better photos, but I think I enjoyed the process more in those days. There was so little to worry about. Choose aperture, meter and shoot.

But as soon as I look at the results, I know that digital is the future. I just wish more manufacturers would remember what the old days were like when designing their cameras. These hundreds of menu items make me dizzy and frustrated. I can read about it and understand it all, but it is not what I want.

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:20 AM
mh2000
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · E-P1 ?

I am still shooting an E-P1 as my main camera. There is a significant improvement over LX-3 and S-90 class cameras.

I'm not an action shooter, so the camera's main drawback isn't an issue for me. Love everything about the little camera.

Figure in another year or two I can get a discontinued OM-D for $250, then I'll upgrade.

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:32 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.