Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First Senior Pictures

remmert62

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First Senior Pictures

This is the first time I have been paid for taking pictures. I think they turned out well but I know there is always room for improvement so some feed back would be apperciated.

Camera - Canon 30D
Lens - Canon 85mm 1.8

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:49 PM
VilleK
• •
p.1 #2 · First Senior Pictures

I suggest you resize these to somewhere around 800pix tall. Now they are a bit too big to be viewed properly.

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:30 PM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · First Senior Pictures

VilleK wrote:
I suggest you resize these to somewhere around 800pix tall. Now they are a bit too big to be viewed properly.

+11111111111111111111111

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:50 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #4 · First Senior Pictures

Her face and eyes in almost all of them look way soft, my recommendation, shoot at iso 100, 2.8, and use the center focus dot on "one shot" focus, will be most accurate, focus on her eye, reframe, shoot!

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:23 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #5 · First Senior Pictures

Images are very soft and displayed way too big here. .

brad

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:46 PM
modd69
• •
p.1 #6 · First Senior Pictures

All of these pictures seem very flat, so they are in need of some PP. 5, 7 and 8 are out of focus and I would say are very poorly done. In some of the shots the natural light is making her squint which doesn't help the photo's, so consider using a defuser for shots into the sun.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · First Senior Pictures

These shots are WAY WAY too big. And large. How much bandwidth do you think people use to see this? WAY more than needed.

That said, the good news is she looks relaxed and comfortable with you. But you have done absolutely no post on these. Do some skin treatment... cropping and for God's sake take out the shot that is blatantly out of focus... And DO NOT shoot anyone on a railroad track. I have no idea how this fad, trend got started. WHO walks down a railroad track unless a photographer tells them to? This is the stupidest portrait location I can think of. And it's not just you, many other photogs do it too... WRONG!

You've been thrashed here pretty good, but keep trying. Look at other people's work and find some inspiration! and next time resize and submit a smaller file. Sheesh!

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM

remmert62

p.1 #8 · First Senior Pictures

Apologies for the sizes. I have resized them as requested. I appreciate the feedback. I will take your suggestions and try to do better next time. Thanks again.

Nov 24, 2012 at 02:58 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #9 · First Senior Pictures

I won't pile on with comments about the focus and lack of processing - but I will add that your crops are not good in 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7. Limbs chopped at or near joints - try and avoid that. Why clip the end of her foot? If you have part of a foot or part of a hand, you usually are better off showing the whole thing.

Honest opinion for you here - you are not ready to charge money for photography yet.

You need to practice a lot more to understand how to recognize poor lighting conditions and adapt appropriately (use open shade, screens, reflectors, off-cam flash), how to get light into the eyes, how to crop, how to focus, how to post process, and how to white balance for skin tones.

Ed

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:08 PM
bbourizk
• • •
p.1 #10 · First Senior Pictures

small bit of advise...Avoid direct sun...when you see it run to the hills lol.

8 to me looks like it could have been the best of the lot, I can see many ways to pose her in that little area, and the light doesn't look harsh, unfortunately it's out of focus.

I'd take her out again and re-shoot...try to have the sun behind what ever your shooting in front of.

I don't mind railway tracks but in the photos you showed the sun is coming across her and slightly in front. You would want to shoot with the sun directly behind her and later in the day as the sun is setting, you will get a nice rim light and no harsh shadows on the face.

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:19 PM
Steve Wan
• • •
p.1 #11 · First Senior Pictures

It is amazing what people will pay for!

Nov 24, 2012 at 01:26 PM
pinball
• • •
p.1 #12 · First Senior Pictures

on first one clone out the weeds coming out of her left side of her head

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:21 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #13 · First Senior Pictures

None of these are near the quality of a paid (even a cheap) photo shoot. I suggest you give a refund or better yet pay the girl for her time. In a few months as she gets to look at other senior photos of friends she will see how bad these are and they will also tell her as they compare.
This is a one time event in a kids life and they deserve better memories than what you provided. You are still in the basic practice stage of photography. Learn basics of the art before charging. At least learn how to focus the camera. The fact you are showing OOF means you don't know the difference.

Nov 24, 2012 at 07:53 PM
cannpope
• •
p.1 #14 · First Senior Pictures

Practice, practice, practice!!

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:46 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password