Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sameer and his guitar

Shootmegul

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sameer and his guitar

Sharing one from a recent session, he recently started learning the instrument, a motivational shot for him

580EXII shot through a 60inch umbrella at 1/8 power camera left and feathered away triggered by cactus V5.
Canon 5D MKII with 50mm, 1/100 sec, f/3.5, ISO: 100

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:06 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Sameer and his guitar

I love this. The lighting is very atmospheric. Great stuff, except for me the highlights on the guitar sound board are a bit too bright. It feels out of context with the rest of the image and really distracts my eye as I try to study the rest of the image.

If that's what you were looking for then fair enough, if not then its easy to drag back of course.

Top work.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:42 PM
derry1
• • •
p.1 #3 · Sameer and his guitar

like it and a fellow Classical guitar player,, Yeaaaaa

Derry

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Sameer and his guitar

To me the there is too much reflection on the guitar and not enough detail in the face.....that's just me though. My eyes are continually being pulled to the brightest spot in the pic, in this case the reflection

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:47 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Sameer and his guitar

Michaelparris wrote:
To me the there is too much reflection on the guitar and not enough detail in the face.....that's just me though. My eyes are continually being pulled to the brightest spot in the pic, in this case the reflection

Exactly my thoughts.

The light on the face is important and you do need to avoid the reflection.

Sorry, but this would be a shot I'd work on a bit more.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:06 PM
Shootmegul

p.1 #6 · Sameer and his guitar

thanks for the feedback will work on the reflection in guitar

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:10 PM

Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Sameer and his guitar

Howdy,

As far as a reflection being bad, I feel differently than some others above. I think a reflection can be a very clever and interesting part of an image if done with some care and depending upon the subject, composition, and what is shown in the reflection.

Also, having the lightest part of an image away from a face is not necessarily a bad thing either, depending upon what YOU want the viewer to see or notice first.

What would I do differently?

A few things, but here is the simplest to correct:

See the reflection. Notice the rays. Are those the spokes of an umbrella? If so, try to avoid showing them in the final image.

I hope these comments help you.

Nov 24, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Sameer and his guitar

Steady Hand wrote:
Howdy,

As far as a reflection being bad, I feel differently than some others above. I think a reflection can be a very clever and interesting part of an image if done with some care and depending upon the subject, composition, and what is shown in the reflection.

Also, having the lightest part of an image away from a face is not necessarily a bad thing either, depending upon what YOU want the viewer to see or notice first.

What would I do differently?

A few things, but here is the simplest to correct:

See the reflection. Notice
...Show more

Elaborate with examples....

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:24 PM
Achilles2010
• •
p.1 #9 · Sameer and his guitar

The composition has very good feel to it overall, but I have to agree with previous posters about lock of detail on the face and reflection on guitar which really bothersome to me since I can see the umbrella rods in it.

Best,

Arthur

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:56 PM
Shootmegul

p.1 #10 · Sameer and his guitar

really appreciate the feedback, less light on the face is intentional for this one. I have a variant with light on face. Personally I like this.
Now working on the guitar and tackling the spokes (rays)

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:05 PM
twragg

p.1 #11 · Sameer and his guitar

The face and eyes do not always need to be lit, especially if that's not the focus of the photo. I get what you are trying to do here, and I like it. To me it's more of a boy embracing his guitar and fondness for music, it's not a head shot portrait. I agree with previous posters though, the guitar is slightly too bright distracting the overall mood, and good call on the spokes form the umbrella, I was wondering what that was :-) Overall I like it, and look forward to seeing an resubmit if you wish to do so. Thanks for sharing.

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Shootmegul

p.1 #12 · Sameer and his guitar

@twragg, working on the re-edit will post soon

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:58 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password