Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I still like the 1D-series very much. Without the prices coming down on these bodies the last few years, I wouldn't have been able to enjoy them, or not so many of them. I started with a 1Ds a few years back, at the radical price of $600 for a near-new. Then came the 1D2, then a 1Ds2 (so great!), then another 1D2. Recently, thanks to fellow FMer jcolwell, I've gotten a 1Ds3 -- thanks Jim!

I have larger hands and am a bigger guy, so the weight isn't a big concern. In fact, my 5-series and 60D all have battery grips, so the the 5's are even bulkier and not much lighter.

I had two of the 1D2's and sold one just as the resale crashed. I paid about $650 and sold for $485 in nice shape, but just over 100k actuations (only 20k on its third shutter). So, no big loss and I had a lot of fun. The other is near new with only 7k actuations, so I'm keeping it for occasional use into infinity.

I need to list my 5Dc and 1Ds2 and hope to do okay, but stories are so scary. Like everyone else, I'd like to eventually get a 5D3 (or a future high MP body), and selling bodies is the way to help finance. I don't seem to be the only one to discover this maneuver!

It seems the best guesses here are correct: the 5D3 is killing the older pro and semi-pro bodies with its remarkable quality and features at relatively affordable pricing. Many of the glut of used models came from upgraders to 1DX and 5D3.

As someone said, these older 1D-series used to be the kings of imaging. Minus a few nice modern features, these camera are still great at lower ISO.

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:04 PM
jstaylor
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

My 1DsII will serve me until it breaks and can't be fixed Image quality is just fine with it or any 1-series after it in my opinion. Everyone's got upgrad-itis and don't want to take the $$ hit selling their perfectly capable 1-series because it is old.. .

No matter how many new, shiny, bells-and-whistles laden cameras come along, they will all someday be old tech and out of warranty, and eventually end of life support-wise by the manufacturer.

Keeping up with the Jones' and having the latest and greatest over and over and over isn't easy.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:32 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Joseph Taylor wrote:
My 1DsII will serve me until it breaks and can't be fixed Image quality is just fine with it or any 1-series after it in my opinion.

Sure is, as long as ISO is not over 400.
I also enjoy my 1DsMkII, and its output is very similar to 1DX, perhaps JPGs are even nicer, as long as ISO is low.

However, there are two significant operational limitations: (1) slow frame rate/restrictive burst duration/long buffer clearing, and (2) tiny display.

Petkal a.k.a. Supertelemaster

Nov 26, 2012 at 08:28 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

PetKal wrote:
Sure is, as long as ISO is not over 400.
I also enjoy my 1DsMkII, and its output is very similar to 1DX, perhaps JPGs are even nicer, as long as ISO is low.

However, there are two significant operational limitations: (1) slow frame rate/restrictive burst duration/long buffer clearing, and (2) tiny display.

Petkal a.k.a. Supertelemaster

Come on Peter, seriously 1ds2 not over 400 ISO. That new tech has you drunk with power my friend

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:27 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Jarvis, 1DsII will go over ISO400, however, since I tend to crop a fair bit, I often have to use NR on the files, and that often rsults in diminished quality.

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:31 AM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Ok, I can see that. That issue effects all cameras to some degree if you are focal length limited.

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:59 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Right now the 1DS3 is still the Canon with the best combination of low iso image quality and resolution. Even after all these years its the 1 series that still stands above all others. The 5D3 did affect its value but even at $3,000 its a good buy since it offers sensor IQ no other Canon can really match.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM
Hulot
• •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

As we are about to throw mud towards the 1ds2: no LV (think TS-E), no movie function, 12-bit only, no dust reduction, USB 1 only...

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
e.aland
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

tried to sell a 1D3 last year when it was already too late. i think people still were deterred because of the so-called AF-fiasko and already deterred by the supposedly "too low" resolution. i think many people were oriented to the 7D already.

this year I tried to sell a 1D4 (twice already) but the max offer was 50% of the original price. i think its because the 5D3 is more appealing to many users, as most still offer their used 1D4 for at least 60-70 % of the original price.

end of the story for me: i keep on loving both my 1D bodies and even appreciating them more than before. these bodies are still the lightest 1D bodies ever made and their IQ is simply awesome. I think that 1D3-1Ds3-1D4 are great bodies to buy today.

i can definitely confirm that from my POV demand of used 1D bodies has gone down and that the 5D3 is guilty.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Sneakyracer wrote:
Right now the 1DS3 is still the Canon with the best combination of low iso image quality and resolution. Even after all these years its the 1 series that still stands above all others. The 5D3 did affect its value but even at $3,000 its a good buy since it offers sensor IQ no other Canon can really match.

From my limited use of both the 5D3 and 1Ds3, I have to say the IQ baton has been passed to the 5D3, even at low ISO. A slim margin, but a that new camera is a significant development. Still, I could afford a used 1Ds3 now, and will have to wait a bit for a 5D3. So, the 1Ds3 is the practical alternative for me, and I'm sure other buyers too, and nothing to sneeze at for low ISO IQ.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Gunzorro wrote:
From my limited use of both the 5D3 and 1Ds3, I have to say the IQ baton has been passed to the 5D3, even at low ISO. A slim margin, but a that new camera is a significant development. Still, I could afford a used 1Ds3 now, and will have to wait a bit for a 5D3. So, the 1Ds3 is the practical alternative for me, and I'm sure other buyers too, and nothing to sneeze at for low ISO IQ.

I have both the 1DS3 and the 5D3 and tested them side by side and the 1DS3 has cleaner shadows at low iso and overall a less "digital" look to the files when you look at them close up. Color wise they are very similar, which is a good thing. But the pixel quality of the 1DS3 is still a tad better. Its not a huge difference but its there.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:55 AM
mobilebucky

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I have to agree with others, 5D III brand new going for around $2.5-2.8K nowadays, it is very difficult to justify any 1D new or old. I tried the 1DX, like it a lot, but not at $4k extra. The reason I would consider 1Ds3 is because I have a 1D4 so it can share battery and chargers. I am still debating whether to keep my 1D4 or not.

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I picked up a 1DII in bargain condition from Adorama for $400. I sold my 1DIII in favor of a 7D. While both 1 series were great, I appreciate the higher resolution, ergonomics and weight of the newer cameras. Frankly, I am surprised that IDII and 1DIIns still command the prices that they do.

Nov 26, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

timbop wrote:
perceived value is everything; at this point those older sub-12 MP cameras just don't have the market they used to.

Also we have now seen a bit of a seismic shift in AF performance of non 1 series cameras. A lot of 1 series camera sales were what I call forced purchases. People that needed/wanted the great AF for say sport/wildlife basically had no choice but to buy a 1D II/1DIII back then; the consumer cameras AF was for most part utter crap for these type of shoots. Then along comes the 7D and it's a game changer. Good AF, almost 1 series class, 18MP so you can now do even birding on a budget with a 400mm lens, a lot more features, HD video etc 1D II was always going to struggle and let's not forget it's 7.5 year old now. 1D III is a better camera, but again only 10MP, low res LCD, no video will put some people off. I only sold mine for the extra pixels of the 1D IV. If it were 12MP and had the better screen, I may well still have it. I sold both my 1D II and 1D III at times the prices were still quite good, getting $1100 and $1700 respectively.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

All I know is what I hear from other photographers chatting, the ones looking for the 1D series used are basically bargain hunters who are looking for it as inexpensive as they can get it. They don't have such a strong desire -- are perfectly willing for it to wait to drop even more or make low-ball offers until some desperate sell bites. There's too much unwanted supply out there and not enough demand, in cases where the sellers don't want to budge in price, you see items unsold for 3+ months while the price continues to drop, which adds further to the urgency of selling.

Among photographers, these cameras aren't obsolete by any measure, but they have definitely gone out of style. The attention they used to attract just isn't there anymore, even among total amateurs.

Nov 26, 2012 at 07:41 PM
Matt Howell

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Sneakyracer wrote:
I have both the 1DS3 and the 5D3 and tested them side by side and the 1DS3 has cleaner shadows at low iso and overall a less "digital" look to the files when you look at them close up. Color wise they are very similar, which is a good thing. But the pixel quality of the 1DS3 is still a tad better. Its not a huge difference but its there.

What I observed when comparing the two at ISO 100, is that the 5D3 is slightly sharper while at the same time a little less noisy than the 1Ds3. And of course the 5D3 has more actual resolution. I don't know about a "less digital look" because I did not see that.

Nov 26, 2012 at 09:26 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I just sold my 1DsII and after buying the 5DIII in June, I waited till September to list it (after we got back from our vacation, we took 2 1DsII's with us just in case our new 5DIII's failed!).

Between when i calculated the cost to upgrade in June, the 1DsII selling price went from ~1500 down to 1100 shipped

I think the major difference was the older 1D-1DsIII were pro bodies with big sensors. Now thats not enough and the demand is for high ISO, more MP, and 'whiz bang features' - None of which the old crop of cameras had. So the used market is getting drowned in them, and the price is suffering.
That or the economy is picking up and more people are back to work and able to afford the newest round of cameras they held off on in 2010/2011 and are now flooding the used market..
Oh well.. I only paid $1800 for the 1Ds when i got it used 2 years ago, so for 700 I got 2 years and thousands of awesome pictures (and back aches!) from that lovely camera!

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Matt Howell wrote:
What I observed when comparing the two at ISO 100, is that the 5D3 is slightly sharper while at the same time a little less noisy than the 1Ds3. And of course the 5D3 has more actual resolution. I don't know about a "less digital look" because I did not see that.

+1

Exactly my observation too. The 1Ds3 had a minute "ripply" noise even at native ISO of 100. It's not bad, but after seeing really clean OOF areas, you appreciate newer Digic processors even more.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:01 AM
Tony B
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Demand for used 1 series is definitely going down as I would suggest that the market for those bodies was the cash strapped pro/part timer & hobbyist who now have alternative quality choices in the 5DII/III & 7D.
At my stage of life I doubt I will purchase another 1 series body being happy with my 5DIII & awaiting the 7D upgrade to replace my 1DIII.

The 1DIII is now selling for around $2200 au, 1dsIII/1D4 $3000

http://shop.cameraelectronic.com.au/E5List.cgi?Tier=4&CT1=Pre-Owned Equipment&CT2=Cameras&CT3=Canon&CT4=Digital SLR and Kits

http://www.teamdigital.com.au/blog/pre-loved-equipment/

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:32 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Gunzorro wrote:
+1

Exactly my observation too. The 1Ds3 had a minute "ripply" noise even at native ISO of 100. It's not bad, but after seeing really clean OOF areas, you appreciate newer Digic processors even more.

Beside the differentces of their AA filters, do all 1Dseries setting is default to zero while 5Dseries was tuned to attract more amature users

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:34 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.