Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2012 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Mikael B

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Hi,

I've been owning 1D2 camera for about 2 years and decided to sell it sometime ago. Even though the camera was in good shape and there were 83k clicks on it, the demand for it wasn't something I expected for. I think the price wasn't the issue here as it was very much in line what others have been selling on the same forums. I switched in the end to 5D2 through my local dealer and gave the 1D2 during the trade.

But I have since been following some buy/sell forums where I have seen many 1D2, 1Ds2 and 1D3 cameras for sale, but they just don't seem to be selling even after several months. At the same time market for 5D-series is actually going quite ok and 5D2 seems to be quite hot product (many jumping from 5Dc to 5D2 or from 5D2 to 5D3).

I'm just wondering if the arrival of 5D3 has actually made some of the older 1D-series cameras look very much obsolete in eyes of potential buyers? Anyone else noticed this? Or is this maybe only related to Finnish camera market...

Mikael

Nov 23, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I'd say you're right based on the local market.

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:05 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Imagine what will hapen when they launch a mini-1D, like cut-down-size version.
Same philosophy form 5d>6d ...1D>mini 1D.
Perfectly possible and extremely usable...1D cameras ate too big for today's tech.
Offer a camera that is a shrink size version of 1DX with 80% of capabilities...and 1D used market is down the drain...

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:17 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

perceived value is everything; at this point those older sub-12 MP cameras just don't have the market they used to.

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:50 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I still use my 1DsII daily, BUT, am picking up a 5DII ASAP. In my case I am older and need live-view assist for focusing my MF lens. The older 1D series does not offer Liveview (except 1DsIII).

Nov 23, 2012 at 03:00 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I have a 1Ds MarkIII that I bought about 2 years ago for about $3,500. That had been the ballpark price of used 1DsIIIs for at least a couple years before I bought mine.

The 5DIII definitely affected the price of the IIIs. For a relatively short time after introduction of the 1DIV (and rumored 1DX) prices on 1DsIIIs went into the stratosphere, like $6,000+. At the time I guessed that people were thinking that Canon was switching from a philosophy of "more mpx is better" to "you don't need more than 18 mpx." So if they wanted 22 mpx or higher they'd better buy a used 1DsIII. At least that was the only explanation I could think of for that sudden jump in the price of used 1DsIIIs.

Then the 5DIII came along and the price of used 1DsIIIs dropped from the stratosphere to the present level on ebay (haven't checked here) of about $2,500. It seems to have held pretty steady lately so I doubt that there will be a major drop in price any time soon and it may actually go back up (though certainly not to $6,000) as the newness of the 5DIII and other new models wears off.

This is a round-about way of saying that I don't think it's a local market phenomenon, I think the 5DIII and other new models have made the older 1D series less desirable in the eyes of some photographers. Which is certainly no surprise. There are plenty of people out there who think that newer automatically means better and that when a new model is introduced the old models no longer make good photographs.

I should add that this is all just from very casual observation and I could be wrong about prices, reasons, etc. I have no plans to sell the 1DsIII and so I don't follow the U.S. market (and certainly not the Finnish market) closely or pay that much attention to new models like the 5DIII.

Nov 23, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Your camera is very old and have been replaced so many times. I'm not surprised about it. And it would be a lot worse if it wasn't a 1 series body.

1D2--1D2N--1D3--1D4--1DX

Nov 23, 2012 at 03:38 PM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Have to agree with Lars on this one... the 1D2 being 5 generations old is pretty ancient. People looking for a 1D series used body usually have more money to invest than the really old bodies are bringing, so they are going to go for the newer versions. To me, the 1D3 is in the sweet spot right now where its about the price of a new 7D... and they are both geared towards the same type of shooter. That's what you are competing with.

Where I have seen 1D series bodies sit for a long time unsold, its because the owners aren't willing to face the reality of their value. I just sold a 1D3 that I paid $4600 for new, for under $1300. It was painful. I wanted to get more like $1500-1600... but that is not where the market is at now. I could have asked $1500 and had it still unsold, or set the price to what I saw them selling for and get it sold... I chose the second option.

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:46 PM
dhlewis
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

semi pro and hobbyists have less discretionary income, talk to Washington about that one.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Mikael B

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I'm aware that the 1D2 is old in technology and there are many newer versions on the market. But for example, I've seen quite many 1D3's trying to be sold (was thinking of getting one myself), but they just keep on hanging on the forums month after month. So the issue is not 1D2, but the same seems to be with 1D2n and 1D3 too.

I'm just thinking if photographers who have used 15MP+ sensors, higher ISO, Live View, sensor cleaning and movie mode are afraid to jump to 1D-series cameras which are missing the functionalities. I didn't have issues with 8MP 1D2 but my problem was it being my only body that it wasn't practical for every day use and travel. Just thinking if 5D3 introduction has affected the sales of 1D-series (except maybe 1D4 and 1DX). Or maybe it indeed is local issue here .

Mikael

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Sounds about right based on my experience... I tried to sell my 1D Mark II N to scavenge some money for an upgrade, but could not. Since I'll likely never have money for a proper high caliber camera unless I sell the N and/or some lenses, it will have to stick until it literally falls apart. Though from the look of things, it can outlive me all right!

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:58 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

5DIII changed my opinion about the older 1 series bodies. I would no longer buy one except possibly the 1d4 since camera still has video and a modern LCD. I think you are right on. I am still shooting my 5DII for now but the 1dX and 5DIII are appealing.

Edited on Nov 23, 2012 at 07:01 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:00 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

It is possible that the recession is making people reassess their needs.

Full time pros I know don't upgrade their gear if it isn't necessary (and some find new ways of extracting more from their current kit) and amateurs might be questioning what it is that gives them the required levels of enjoyment from their hobby.

Some might question the cost of an upgrade when weighed (for an example) against a photographic holiday with their current gear....maybe people just have to make hard choices now.....and it is this that will impact on prices...not the sheer desirability of the latest bit of must have at any price kit.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:00 PM
hmk42

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Interesting observations all - I think I went with the 5DII mostly because of the price of the 5DIII and self-cleaning feature - the 1DsII would have been a choice had it had that feature. The second thing is battery life - even a day out of the charger with the 1D batteries, even new ones, and the shooting time is hobbled, especially at our winter temperatures. Our 20D, 30D (2), and 40D (2) would go for at least twice as long in warm or cold and served far beyond the shutter life rating.

The other side is the shutter actuation of the 5DII, which sounds _to me_ clunky by comparison to the 1Ds, never mind later models - closer to our 40D than a 1D series. Would still consider a MkIIIs or a MkIV in future, but as AnthonyGH said, "not the sheer desirability of the latest bit of must have at any price kit." But the price, performance and features of the 5DII fit our budget, and we're glad to have it.

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:56 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Here in the UK (and I guess most other markets) the market for 1Dm2 bodies pretty much die. They still sell but it seems to take a while longer and they need to be a low price. They've Basicly become the new 1Dc
Mk2n bodies have dropped a fair bit also but do still get a small premium . But again they take a while to sell.

Mk3 bodies still sell and value is just starting to drop .

The mk4 values hold up well and sell pretty quickly .

The above is from looking at the various 2nd web sites as well as eBay etc.

The older sports/wildlife crop body 1 series values have likely been hit by the 7D.
Lets face it . If your a less serious hobby shooter ,where once you had to get a 1 series to get decent AF and FPS the 7D gave you other smaller lighter weight options .

As for the FF 1 series bodies. Well the 1Ds2 has dropped in value quite a bit over the past few months . And the 1Ds3 has just started to sink in value.
Reason for that is going to be the 5D3 . If you wanted a FF body with better than consumer grade AF you used to have to get a 1 but now the 5D3 gives you that option. And if you didn't need the AF then there are the 5D/5D2 which have come down lots as well.
And here if you shop around you can pick up a 5D3 for under 2k for an import from somewhere like digitalrev .

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:36 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Used 1Ds II is about 40% the price of new 5D III here (seen with my own eyes in various shops). But that one is getting undercut by 5D II beginning to be sold used for similar or even lower prices. So... well, looks like I'm stuck with the N, for which I'm not as crazy as I used to be because technical quality has become lacking for the stuff that I've been doing recently, namely theatre shoots... That's where the higher ISO would've come handy as ISO 1600 looks pretty rough on the N. Oh and the quiet mode of 1D III and newer might've come handy as I'm getting a feeling I'm going to be murdered every time I walk into the theatre... I think of quitting for this very reason, feeling so bad being slammed for shutter noise and not being able to do much about it apart from wrapping the camera in my pullover. Missing lots of shots because I can't use burst and can't get myself to shoot at all during quieter sequences.

Edited on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:59 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Imo, it's a good news for everyone...to explore the best pro-quality photography tools without spending too much. They all are great tools for 1/4 or less of the cost.

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:28 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

Pretty much a combination of what everyone has already mentioned. It doesn't surprise me that the 1D3's are bottoming out as well. They are getting fairly old too and have the stigma (rightly or wrongly) of having defective AF.

With the 5D3 already out and the 7D2 potentially coming next year it could be a really rough ride for sellers in the used 1D market. I practically gave my 1D2 away and felt lucky to get a few hundred for it.

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:35 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

I think 5DMkIII has effectively terminated the reign of all 1D bodies except 1DX.
And even with 1DX, 5DmKIII must have taken a number of purchasers away from 1DX.....those are the people who want to have a top notch AF system, lottsa resolution, and great high ISO handling, without the 1D price.

1DX is a fine camera, but 5DMkIII is better on the performance-per-dollar basis.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Demand for used 1D - series cameras going down?

PetKal wrote:
1DX is a fine camera, but 5DMkIII is better on the performance-per-dollar basis.

I guess that depends on how you quantify 'performance' - the dollars are already well defined.

For example, how would you compare the 400/5.6L and 400/2.8L IS, on a "performance-per-dollar basis"?

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password