Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Self Family Shoot

Doug-S

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Self Family Shoot

I've always found self family shoots to be tricky. There is always room for improvement, but this is one of the better outcomes for me. Both kids were back from college yesterday and we had the afternoon off with a beautiful day in MN so we headed out to give it a go. Comments and critiques . . . and ideas for how to improve upon self shots are always appreciated.

The second shot was the most challenging using my 10 second timer, Had to run back, join the group and have us all timed to be within the focus range when the shutter clicked. Made for a fun adventure though!

Edited on Nov 25, 2012 at 06:00 PM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:11 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Self Family Shoot

Howdy,

Quick Comments:

You did a better job on these "self family" pictures than I have seen many photographers (who get paid to do family photos like these) have posted on this forum.

Well done!

Happy Thanksgiving too!

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:37 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Self Family Shoot

Not sure you can do much better for a selfie, the second one worked out great with the timing.

The only thing I might say, and this is personal so don't hit me, is that your choice of blue on blue might not have been the best. Your wife is in the same boat, but at least she has a white shirt to break it up a bit, whereas your son's sweater pops enough to stand out from his pants.

Great looking family you've got there.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Self Family Shoot

Nice job. One has to attempt the self group shots to understand the problems. The problem that plagued me the most was focus. At least with a group pic you can prefocus on one of the others. Try it alone and you resort to guessing, stopped down lens settings and other things.

#1 is my pick, although #2 is good too. One of the things that can go wrong is the tree growing out of a head and you dodged that one for the most part.

The darker clothing contrasts well with the lighter background. I like the slight blurring of the background. It helps the family stand out and still lets us enjoy the trees.

Good looking family!

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:42 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Self Family Shoot

Fantastic
1 would make a great print.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and got some good results...difficult with young kids as well and a baby but worth the effort.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Dneufarth
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Self Family Shoot

Outstanding! Very well done.

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:11 PM
marino420td
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Self Family Shoot

I really like them both. For future shoots I suggest you buy a remote trigger. It makes these much easier because you don't have to run back and forth. I bought a cheap wireless one on eBay and it works great. You just have to strategically hide the remote in the photo.

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:16 PM
dragon_eye

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Self Family Shoot

Well done! Beautiful family, and nice, crispy and clean shots!

Nov 23, 2012 at 03:13 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Self Family Shoot

Steady Hand wrote:
Howdy,

Quick Comments:

You did a better job on these "self family" pictures than I have seen many photographers (who get paid to do family photos like these) have posted on this forum.

Well done!

Happy Thanksgiving too!

+10 These are awesome! You did a great job. And you got everyone looking at the camera and smiling!!!!!

You have beautiful children BTW. A truely handsome son and beautiful daughter.

Nov 23, 2012 at 03:56 PM
jhobgood
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Self Family Shoot

These are great. One small suggestion is that on the left side of the first image where the light is showing through the poles grabs my attention a bit. I'd squeeze the two poles together so that there is no light showing through.

Nov 23, 2012 at 04:29 PM

firstgear99
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Self Family Shoot

Bridge shot is great!

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:07 PM
Shootmegul

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Self Family Shoot

love the second one

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:38 PM
Doug-S

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Self Family Shoot

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. I did think about my shirt being somewhat close to my jeans color, but it was what I had that seemed to jive best with everyone else. The original thought was to just get something decent enough for a Christmas card, but I think one or both of these will make their way to a wall! What amazed me the most was that even our Golden was doing the right thing when the shutter clicked! I do need to check out a remote. I had an IR one and outside it didn't work well at all. I need to fine a decent radio wave one for Canon 5D II. I don't do a self shot too often but there are occasions that would be really nice. I like the idea of getting rid of the small sliver of light between the two pillars in the first one. I will also remove the iron extension that patrudes out. I am torn with which of these two I like best but guess that's a good problem to have.

I am truly blessed with a great family and the shoot was a fun way to kick off the Thanksgiving weekend! Doug

Nov 23, 2012 at 07:28 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Self Family Shoot

Next time just do a trade with other photographer (on different days). Will make your life easier. I do that every year.

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:29 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Self Family Shoot

good job !

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:18 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Self Family Shoot

First, you have a great looking family, lovely wife, beautiful daughter, and a handsome son. The 4 legged addition if quite handsome also. I can only echo the crews comments, these are really good. Only personal comment is I would punch them up just a bit in PP, the grayish/brownish fall background and gray day with all the blue clothes make them a bit flat, but they are absolutely wonderful photos.

Dave

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:41 PM
calk
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Self Family Shoot

Nice job! I was just thinking how that second one might have been a challenge as I read your lead-in story.

If you like shooting "selfies", just a tip: Canon makes a remote controller for the 5dmkii, about 1" x 2" x 0.25". It's called the RC-6. It's not very flexible, not many features. But it's about $25. Great for stuff like this. It does have a mode that makes it delay the shutter release for 2 seconds after you press the button, so you can hide the rc-6 from view before the shot is made... Note this feature also allows time for half the people in a group shot to close their eyes before the shot, too.

Cal

P.S. Oops! I just read some more thread entries and see you already have a remote. The RC-6 is infrared. It doesn't like backlighting much. Check out ADIDT brand controllers.

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM
phil hawkins
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Self Family Shoot

Good except for a larger aperture; background is way too much in focus.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM
Achilles2010
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Self Family Shoot

Nice!

Nov 24, 2012 at 05:49 PM
Doug-S

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Self Family Shoot

Thanks for the additional comments. I replaced both images, adding some additional punch. For the second image in particular, I would have preferred a more open aperture as well. I was playing it conservative given the timing aspect of a self walking shot. Doug

Nov 25, 2012 at 06:56 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password