Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

twinrider1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

Are focus issues a common issue, for the D5100 in particular?
Is it just a case of forum conversation making a problem seem more prevalent than it really is?

My budget points strongly towards the D5100. But focus concerns push me towards the fine-focus adjustment available in the D7000. Also, coming from an F3HP, I just think I'd be happier with the D7000's more traditional feature set. This will be my first DSLR.

Thanks.

Nov 22, 2012 at 08:35 PM
wedphotog

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

You'll be happier with a D7000 or even a D700....i was never a film shooter, so i started on DX, but i'd never be happy going from FX back to DX, in terms of viewfinder size and FOV....

Nov 22, 2012 at 08:51 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

Wow. You're comparing 30 year old technology with current state of the art auto-focus. You will be blown away at how much better any of these bodies are than your F3. Just as an example, focus and recompose is not necessary with the multiple really good focus points. The advantages go on from there. Make sure you do a through reading of the manuals, there is a lot of functionality in the auto focus and other areas that is easy to miss if you don't go looking for it. Don't hesitate to come back in here with questions.

Compared to what you are used to any of the complaints you are reading on forums are so down in the noise that you'll never notice.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:20 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

Neddie, nothing is better than an F3 IMO.

Twinrider, I don't think you coming from an F3 should have any bearing on which camera you go for. I own two of them, and they are my favorite, but they have absolutely nothing in common with either the D5100 or D7000. I should say that if you can, stretch for a D700....going from film to a crop camera is painful in my experience.

Between the two you've mentioned, I would prefer the d7000 for a few different reasons, but without knowing what you like to shoot, I'll leave it there. I will say, my little brother has a D5100 and it is a fine camera indeed.

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:31 PM
Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

On an internet forum, you never know for sure if someone is having issues with a lens focus, or simply isn't using a tripod and is getting some blur. I have a D5100 and have been reasonably happy with it. The D7000 would have a better viewfinder. I also actively shoot a Leica IIIc, Rolleiflex MX, and vintage lenses on a 4x5 Chamonix 045n.

Kent in SD

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

One thought: your glass.

Modern digital slrs are autofocus cameras, not so much manual focus.

Not being critical of your choices, but things are now geared to autofocus, which is generally fast and accurate. A bitr like cars going from stick shift to automatics. Think how this can benefit you; don't dwell on what used to be the standard.

Please, I'm not trying to start a flame war here. If you have a contrary opinion, back it with logic and concise examples, not rants....

Nov 22, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

There is nothing wrong with manual focus or old glass. In fact, there's a HUGE thread here.

Having said that, depending on the lenses that the OP has, the D7000 would be a better match. First of all, it can drive screwdrive focus (AF and AFD) lenses whereas the D5100 can't. Also the D7000 has a very good autofocus engine, which you will appreciate. Finally, the D7000 does allow you to meter with AI/AIS glass. I think you will be quite pleased with the D7000.

If funds are a concern, you can always try the D300, which is a slightly older generation camera. It also has a good AF and can also meter with AI/AIS glass.

Nov 23, 2012 at 01:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

I would only get a D7000 if I also planned to get DX lenses to go with it. All your MF lenses will have oddball fields of view on a crop body. If you have existing lenses then they'll be a lot more practical on a used D700 or a D600.

Nov 23, 2012 at 08:24 PM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

Unless you really want the articulating screen and only slightly lower price of the D5100, get the D7000. Best value body on the used market IMO

Nov 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

Neddie Seagoon wrote:
Wow. You're comparing 30 year old technology with current state of the art auto-focus. You will be blown away at how much better any of these bodies are than your F3. Just as an example, focus and recompose is not necessary with the multiple really good focus points. The advantages go on from there. Make sure you do a through reading of the manuals, there is a lot of functionality in the auto focus and other areas that is easy to miss if you don't go looking for it. Don't hesitate to come back in here with questions.

Compared to
...Show more

there's a tradeoff.

the viewfinder on the f3 makes virually any slr on the market look like a child's toy.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

The F-3 was the first great electronic camera. Sadly, it is a film camera. All the new, better, DSLRs have many benefits....

Film is an eccentricity that will cost you many images that could have been wonderful with a DSLR.

I have an old car from 1956. Fun to drive, big, colorful---but expensive to feed and fix. 10-12 mpg on 93 octane. Tires are $400 each. Enjoyable, but my suv is far more practical.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:10 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

papageno wrote:

Film is an eccentricity that will cost you many images that could have been wonderful with a DSLR.

I disagree to some extent. If you are a full time pro and shooting for a job, a DSLR is easier to use and more of a sure thing. Otherwise, as someone who's been shooting a Nikon DSLR for over seven years, I will say that the "digital look" starts to get pretty boring. I have gone back to film in a big way. Yes, I still shoot my DSLR too, but I just love the challenge of vintage film gear and the classic look I get with the images. I'll mention that my newest gear was made in 1951, and my oldest was made in 1847. I have avoided modern Nikon gear such as AIS lenses since it doesn't give me the look I want.

Kent in SD

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:10 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

Jan Brittenson wrote:
I would only get a D7000 if I also planned to get DX lenses to go with it. All your MF lenses will have oddball fields of view on a crop body. If you have existing lenses then they'll be a lot more practical on a used D700 or a D600.

I have to disagree. I have quite a bit of "film" glass and it works just fine on my D7000 as it did on my other DX camera bodies. And a lot of DX shooters find that the "oddball fields of view" are very useful to give you more reach.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Film guy leery of DSLR focus issues. D7000 D5100

papageno wrote:
The F-3 was the first great electronic camera. Sadly, it is a film camera. All the new, better, DSLRs have many benefits....

I have an old car from 1956. Fun to drive, big, colorful---but expensive to feed and fix. 10-12 mpg on 93 octane. Tires are $400 each. Enjoyable, but my suv is far more practical.

My workhorse camera is a 8x10 view camera -- all my serious portfolio shots for the past 4 years were shot with that camera. I have a D800 as well, which is much more practical for certain types of shots --- but it's no where near the quality I get from the 8x10. :-)

Nov 27, 2012 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password