New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lighting background

Beni
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting background

Hi,

I usually light up a white seamless using two softboxes but I only have one at the moment, the other one isn't available and I have a job that needs it next week. Can I light it up with two bare strobes or will I get too much glare and/or not enough coverage?

Thanks

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:16 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting background

Completely bare strobes or with standard reflectors? I think you could do it either way, but I've done it with strobes with reflectors on both sides of the seamless. Get as much distance as you can between the strobes and the seamless, then aim each one at the opposite side of the seamless for the best coverage. It helps if you have a light meter to check for evenness, but isn't absolutely necessary.

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting background

Reflectors. Thanks!

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting background

Managed to get a softbox for each light in the end. Here is the result for an album cover.

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:20 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting background

Beni wrote:
Managed to get a softbox for each light in the end. Here is the result for an album cover.

Is the fogging around her hands intentional, or were you trying to raise the exposure of her hands and the fog is a (perhaps unseen on your monitor) side effect?

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting background

I don't see fog?

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:35 AM
opfoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lighting background

When I view them on my laptop I can see the fog effect. Could be a calibration issue. When I tilt my laptop back the entire image darkens a bit. Almost seems like the hands were dodged a bit in PP.

Nov 28, 2012 at 06:51 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lighting background

Hands? What hands?

The client wanted the hands darkened, she felt that she looked like she was, in her words, holding onto her womb .

I had taken the original version of this image (which still had detail) and put it over her then masked in just the face and hands, that may be what you are noticing? Now the hands are gone and I darkened the face as well so that it would look balanced.

Nov 28, 2012 at 08:51 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lighting background

Beni wrote:
...I had taken the original version of this image (which still had detail) and put it over her then masked in just the face and hands, that may be what you are noticing? Now the hands are gone...

I don't know what you mean by "the hands are gone." They're a bit darker, but I still see them...and the fog. If you increase the brightness of the image temporarlily you'll see it, too. You can then darken the foggy areas and then return the image to normal brightness.

Here's an exaggerated adjustment to show what we're seeing...and what might show up to the client on a printed cover:

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:20 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lighting background

opfoto wrote:
...When I tilt my laptop back the entire image darkens a bit.

I've known that any viewing angle other than square-on could cause brightness issues, but I never realized until now just how serious -- and non-linear -- the effect was.

If I tilt the top of my LCD monitor way back most of this page will look normal, but blocks A through E on my chart above will blend into one large black block.

I can't remember where I saw them (Art Wolfe's studio, maybe?), but I've seen monitors that had devices clipped to the edges that work like gun sights to show when one's eyes are centered on and squared to the screen. I might have to look into that for myself.

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lighting background

On my calibrated screens both at home and in the studio (Spyder 4 Elite on all 4 NEC P221W screens) the hands are now practically invisible in the image above. The hands and face were never supposed to be completely black and silhouette. We have darkened the hands now for the other reasons mentioned above. Keep in mind that the shadows usually get more blocked up in print (talking about bulk printers not a calibrated epson) not the other way round, the face will print darker than it shows in screen.

Nov 29, 2012 at 01:29 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.