Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2012 · mastering the 5dII

Phillip Reeve
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · mastering the 5dII

carstenw wrote:
You can now buy the D800 new for about 2400 Euro...

I know but I would need a full set of lenses, so 5k is on the conservative side.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:54 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #2 · mastering the 5dII

How many lenses would you need? It is possible to do nice work with just 3 or so, and there are some great alt deals, even for Nikons.

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.4 #3 · mastering the 5dII

I'm one of those guys that loves his 5DII despite all the negatives. I've owned a lot of L lenses and never really loved the colors. When I switched to Zeiss lenses that changed. I'm perfectly happy now.

Btw: I just received an x-rite colorchecker passport today. I'm going to experiment with making my own profiles (for 5DII and Fuji X-E1).

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:08 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.4 #4 · mastering the 5dII

At the moment i see absolutely no reason to change my system.

1. I am as happy as ever with my nex-5n, nex-6 just arrived and i really like my results.
  2. At best i can spend 300/month on camera gear so i couldn't afford it.
  3. I really like how compact the Nex-5n is, an SLR-system wouldn't see that much use.
  4. I don't need more than 16mp, heck i don't even need 16mp

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:12 PM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · mastering the 5dII

Phillip Reeve wrote:

1. I am as happy as ever with my nex-5n, nex-6 just arrived and i really like my results.
  3. I really like how compact the Nex-5n is, an SLR-system wouldn't see that much use.

blasphemy! burn the witch!

you need more! bigger! faster!

Edited on Nov 26, 2012 at 03:30 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:27 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.4 #6 · mastering the 5dII

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:28 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #7 · mastering the 5dII

Phillip Reeve wrote:

So, send the 5DII back now

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.4 #8 · mastering the 5dII

carstenw wrote
So, send the 5DII back now

The friend whom i borrowed it from is currently in thailand, taking pictures with my old nex-3 so that isn't really an option. I think i will have to use it now and then for the next few months, too sad

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:40 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.4 #9 · mastering the 5dII

Regarding color-profiles: There must be some color-profiles for ACR, can anyone recommend one? Are they a real improvement over the supplied ones? ACR's default profile fir the nex-5n is pretty bad when reds are involved, in 4.1 or so they gave us some camera-profiles which are much better. I don't know how big the difference would be with the 5d2.

I have been using my own. They have some unexpected side effects like more detail in overexposed highlights and I like the color balance better than the canned profiles from ACR/LR. But are they really, objectively better? I don't know.
You can make them with Xrite Passport or with Gretag-Macbeth/Xrite color checker and free calibration software from labs.adobe.com. The key is to make sure that the target is very evenly lit. Some pictures - mostly made with my profiles and very minimal LR processing - can be seen here.

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:43 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.4 #10 · mastering the 5dII

Mirek Elsner wrote:
I have been using my own. They have some unexpected side effects like more detail in overexposed highlights and I like the color balance better than the canned profiles from ACR/LR. But are they really, objectively better? I don't know.
You can make them with Xrite Passport or with Gretag-Macbeth/Xrite color checker and free calibration software from labs.adobe.com. The key is to make sure that the target is very evenly lit. Some pictures - mostly made with my profiles and very minimal LR processing - can be seen here.

Would you mind sharing you profile? Nice pictures on your website with great colors!

Nov 26, 2012 at 03:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · mastering the 5dII

Since the 5DII isn't the greatest camera for colour, why not look at other, stronger areas of the FF experience, such as boke?

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:14 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.4 #12 · mastering the 5dII

carstenw wrote:
Since the 5DII isn't the greatest camera for colour, why not look at other, stronger areas of the FF experience, such as boke?

that's my plan, as soon as i can afford it i will buy the samyang 35/1.4 and leitax my 58/1.2.
Haven't given up on colors though: It seems to be a challenge but i haven't researched it enough yet.

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:24 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.4 #13 · mastering the 5dII

Sure, try this. I think it was made with Zeiss lens on the camera, but I used it with Canon 70-200 zoom as well, so it should work. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am not entirely happy with my post processing, but thanks for the compliment

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:24 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · mastering the 5dII

Phillip Reeve wrote:
that's the reason, the 5d2 is borrowed from a friend for 6 or 7 months and then i will have to give it back. For me it is a chance to see how much the benefits of a fullframe camera are worth for me, but i won't invest much money in this system.
If i felt that carrying a big slr around was a good idea and someone gave me 5000 i would probably get a Nikon d800 because of its Sony sensor.

Gotcha. Free is good.

Nov 26, 2012 at 06:29 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.4 #15 · mastering the 5dII

Hm.. FF with good colors and cheap.

Kodak SLR/c or n

(and absolute PIA to work with)

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #16 · mastering the 5dII

Since I have a 5D MKII, I will chime in with a little advice. I see a couple of things in the first shots. I think you could stop down a bit more. I don't think the shallow depth of field is sufficiently compensated for in some of the shots that were the weakest. The 5D MKII has the pixel density of an 8 megapixel crop camera, so there is room to stop down to even F11 with little loss due to diffraction. Second, I think the shots could be exposed a bit farther to the right. That definitely helps with Canon sensor. Finally, the best lenses for colour on Canon in my experience have ben Leica and not Zeiss. Zeiss is great for microcontrast and I have moved this direction, but if you want great colours I would recommend getting Leica. The Rokkor 58 f/1.2 is great as well, but instead of the Samyang 35 f/1.4 you might try a Leica R latest version 35mm f/2.8 (to stay in budget). It ought to be a similar if not lower price than the Samyang.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:13 PM
alwang
• • •
p.4 #17 · mastering the 5dII

As a fellow NEX shooter myself, really the only reason I'm contemplating adding a full-frame SLR is specifically to be able to shoot a 35 1.4 wide open, which is a look that I don't think is achievable on the NEX without stitching. It'll be interesting to see if your thoughts on the Canon change after you get the Samyang. Also, for this reason, I'd personally go with the Samyang vs a Leica 35/2.8, because I think a 35/2.8 is a look that's achievable on NEX (the Sony 24/1.8, for example).

Certainly there are other things a full frame SLR would do better than the NEX (fast sports, ultra wide-angles), but they aren't of too much interest to me.

Nov 27, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.4 #18 · mastering the 5dII

I got an glassless adapter for my Minolta lenses, the leitax mount hasn't arrived yet.
What shall i say? Colors are absolutely awesome!

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:02 PM
twoeye
• •
p.4 #19 · mastering the 5dII

Great shots Phillip!
Got to take my Rokkor out to test it out more at f2.0!

Dec 06, 2012 at 04:47 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.4 #20 · mastering the 5dII

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I got an glassless adapter for my Minolta lenses,

Where did get that from?
Can you only use it for close up focus, and not far focus?

I have a 5DMkII for quite some time.
I don't have nothing to compare it too, until a recent Kodak SLR/C, which I need to shoot more.
The only thing I can add is that the 5DMkII files cannot be pushed, hardly at all.
With the latest version of ACR, it can seemingly, to me, recover highlights quite well.
I also like alt glass better, my favorites are my Leica R, C/Y Zeiss, and Minolta Rokkor glass.
Though, I do like a couple of my Canon L glass, 200/1.8, and 50/1.0, but these are almost totally different than any new L glass, I'm guessing.
Just my humble experience, as I don't think I'm any where near the level you guys are.
Oh, I also can't stand to use DPP.
And I have only played a bit with C1, need to try it more too, it's just ACR has soo much control.

Dec 06, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password