Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I m...

justindong
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Purchased in September. I only have around 600 shots on it.

There's one really small dust spot on the sensor near the upper left, but I noticed it on a shot I took on my first day out with it. It's still there but doesn't really interfere with my shots at all.

I just put on a lens and took a shot of a white wall at f/16. The only thing I see is the spot I mentioned before (and it's really small and has been there for more than a month), which isn't really a problem for me

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:39 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

justindong wrote:
Purchased in September. I only have around 600 shots on it.

There's one really small dust spot on the sensor near the upper left, but I noticed it on a shot I took on my first day out with it. It's still there but doesn't really interfere with my shots at all.

I just put on a lens and took a shot of a white wall at f/16. The only thing I see is the spot I mentioned before (and it's really small and has been there for more than a month), which isn't really a problem for me

One of these days you'll have to clean your sensor, but for now, go out and shoot and enjoy!

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:47 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.1 #3 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

I had some dust problems early on, but I wet-cleaned my sensor a couple weeks ago and have been fine since.

Nov 22, 2012 at 04:03 PM
Rooster L200
• •
p.1 #4 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

i tossed a cup of oil in it and was done with it.

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:01 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

At first, I didn't see any thing at all. And then after around 500 shots I started seeing some. I did a wet clean the other day and all is good. Over on another forum, they're making a HUGE deal about this. Granted, no one should have this problem right out of the box, but it's relatively easy to rectify. The camera is by far worth it, even if you have to clean the sensor once in a while.

Just my 2 cents.

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:18 PM
lexdiamonnyc
• •
p.1 #6 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Rooster L200 wrote:

yep, adding a little sand wouldn't hurt either.......gotta play it safe!

I hate these internet sometimes......10 out of 1 million have an issue, post about it on the internet.....now everyone is worried for no good reason........just go out and shoot, if the sensor gets dirty.......clean it and keep shooting!!

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #7 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

It's funny how people no longer expect to have a camera without issues after spending thousands of dollars on it. Who cares if you have to spend a couple hundred on a sensor cleaning kit and put your entire camera at risk to clean it, which is a widespread problem, not one in a million, a thousand, or a hundred, because I love Nikon soooo much!

I like their cameras, but you guys should seriously expect more for your money.

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:45 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Steezus wrote:
It's funny how people no longer expect to have a camera without issues after spending thousands of dollars on it. Who cares if you have to spend a couple hundred on a sensor cleaning kit and put your entire camera at risk to clean it, which is a widespread problem, not one in a million, a thousand, or a hundred, because I love Nikon soooo much!

Well first of all, I for one, do expect a camera costing thousands to come without any issues. And yes, Nikon QC at the moment seems abysmal. But the fact that some of the D600's have issues is NOT a deal breaker. As far as spending hundreds of dollars on a cleaning kit....really I spent around thirty bucks for the swabs I needed. And could you tell us how you're putting your entire camera at risk by a simple, yes simple, sensor cleaning? Curious minds would like to know.

Nov 24, 2012 at 06:57 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #9 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

leighton w wrote:
Well first of all, I for one, do expect a camera costing thousands to come without any issues. And yes, Nikon QC at the moment seems abysmal. But the fact that some of the D600's have issues is NOT a deal breaker. As far as spending hundreds of dollars on a cleaning kit....really I spent around thirty bucks for the swabs I needed. And could you tell us how you're putting your entire camera at risk by a simple, yes simple, sensor cleaning? Curious minds would like to know.

You really need a good sensor loupe unless you feel like redoing it over again after testing it with a few shots of sky. And anytime you are messing around with the sensor, you run the risk of scratching it or damaging it. By your own admission you only paid for swabs because you found such a cheap way to do it, so you have no idea if there are particles in there that could cause damage. I have no problems cleaning my sensor, but it shouldn't be expected simply because the mirror flops and up and down and Nikon suddenly forgot how to make that work without issue. There are, however, plenty of people that are scared to death of messing with their sensor and will either have to pay a professional to clean it or risk damaging it because they don't quite understand what they are doing.

The less amount of time you mess around with your sensor and keeping the body sealed from dust and accidents the better.

Nov 24, 2012 at 08:50 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #10 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

lexdiamonnyc wrote:
yep, adding a little sand wouldn't hurt either.......gotta play it safe!

I hate these internet sometimes......10 out of 1 million have an issue, post about it on the internet.....now everyone is worried for no good reason........just go out and shoot, if the sensor gets dirty.......clean it and keep shooting!!

With all do respect can you please quote whichever reference you obtained your statistics from? Do you own one? For example 20 out of 20 camera at Lensrentals were affected, I believe that's 100%. On Amazon, the majority complained about the issue, so how does that account for your statistics?

If you buy a Mercedes, would you be ok if the windshield gets cracked every 400 miles, would you fix it every time? Why not, just go out and enjoy your driving! Because 100+ spots on my image every 500 shots is like cracks to a car's windshield... And those who say "I don't care I never see the spots because I shoot wide open" , it's off topic since not everyone shoots wide open...

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

lexdiamonnyc
• •
p.1 #11 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

hijazist wrote:
With all do respect can you please quote whichever reference you obtained your statistics from? Do you own one? For example 20 out of 20 camera at Lensrentals were affected, I believe that's 100%. On Amazon, the majority complained about the issue, so how does that account for your statistics?

If you buy a Mercedes, would you be ok if the windshield gets cracked every 400 miles, would you fix it every time? Why not, just go out and enjoy your driving! Because 100+ spots on my image every 500 shots is like cracks to a car's windshield... And those
...Show more

no Hussain, I don't own D600.....it's too small for my hands.(I do own a D800e, and soon a D3s or D4....if you really want to know) so you're saying that Nikon is knowingly selling defective cameras......all 100% of the D600's sold are dusty and extra-lubed...? and if I had to clean the sensor after every 500 shots, that's just what I would do......2 minutes of my time is a small price to pay.

btw, this isn't the first issue to be exaggerated by the internet, and it won't be the last........

now, pretty please with a cherry on top........stop following me around this forum.....if you don't like what i say, ignore it.......in fact, you can put me on ignore and never see my comments again, k........thanks.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:18 PM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #12 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

lexdiamonnyc wrote:
no Hussain, I don't own D600.....it's too small for my hands.(I do own a D800e, and soon a D3s or D4....if you really want to know) so you're saying that Nikon is knowingly selling defective cameras......all 100% of the D600's sold are dusty and extra-lubed...? and if I had to clean the sensor after every 500 shots, that's just what I would do......2 minutes of my time is a small price to pay.

btw, this isn't the first issue to be exaggerated by the internet, and it won't be the last........

now, pretty please with a cherry on top........stop following me
...Show more

When you accuse people who are complaining, like me, of being "dumb" it's you who are following "me" around not me. Quit your badmouthing and no one will comment on your posts. Besides, it's an open forum and everyone is free to quote, comment and express their ideas... That's how civilized people discuss things, it doesn't have to be personal so you don't have to badmouth everyone who expresses his/her opinion.

Nov 24, 2012 at 09:46 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #13 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

I got mine the week it came out. Shot 1800 shots at the Petit LeMans and 300 at a local event, not dust issue yet... If I get dust ill just clean it, part of Dslr life..

Nov 25, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #14 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Mine's fine. No dust.

Nov 25, 2012 at 04:48 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Rooster L200 wrote:

And scrub with sandpaper swabs!

Nov 25, 2012 at 07:04 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Steezus wrote:

I thought pretty much all DSLR owners knew how to clean their sensor. Doesn't it just go with the territory?

Nov 25, 2012 at 07:19 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #17 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Ben Horne wrote:
I thought pretty much all DSLR owners knew how to clean their sensor. Doesn't it just go with the territory?

Don't know, never had to clean one. Used my D3 for four years and never once had to clean it and there are no spots on my low pass filter. Same with the D700 I owened for about a year and D300 before that and D2x and D1. Then again I'm pretty careful when I change lenses. D800E seems fine so far too.

Oil spots would ..ss me off some though so I can understand the angst of the affected D600 owners who have had this issue.

Nov 25, 2012 at 08:42 AM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #18 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Ben Horne wrote:

I would bet that well over 50% of people who own a DSLR will not ever clean their own sensor. Of the people I have shot with, I am the only one that will do it as my friends have said they are afraid of damaging the senor or having the mirror flop down while they are in there and break a mirror and sensor at the same time. Most people simply don't care to go online and research anything photography like a typical forum poster here would.

Like zesto said, you really don't even need to clean the mirror on most DSLR's if you are careful. I also think that after you clean it the first time, the sensor seems to attract dust a bit more and it will need to be cleaned more often after that initial cleaning.

Nov 25, 2012 at 03:16 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

zesto wrote:
Don't know, never had to clean one. Used my D3 for four years and never once had to clean it and there are no spots on my low pass filter. Same with the D700 I owened for about a year and D300 before that and D2x and D1. Then again I'm pretty careful when I change lenses. D800E seems fine so far too.

Oil spots would ..ss me off some though so I can understand the angst of the affected D600 owners who have had this issue.

It's guaranteed that you have a lively community of dust living on your sensor, but you probably just don't stop down your aperture enough to see it. Even if you never take a lens off your camera, you'll get dust inside. A zoom lens that changes volume as it zooms needs to displace air, therefore sucking dust into the camera at times. It's no big deal really, and very easy to clean. I use to shoot sports and portraits, so dust was never a concern. I now do mostly landscape photography where I need to stop down the aperture, and dust is more of an issue --- but still not a big deal.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · If I'm not seeing the dust problem on my D600 now, am I mostly in the clear?

Ben Horne wrote:
It's guaranteed that you have a lively community of dust living on your sensor, but you probably just don't stop down your aperture enough to see it. Even if you never take a lens off your camera, you'll get dust inside. A zoom lens that changes volume as it zooms needs to displace air, therefore sucking dust into the camera at times. It's no big deal really, and very easy to clean. I use to shoot sports and portraits, so dust was never a concern. I now do mostly landscape photography where I need to stop down the aperture,
...Show more

+10 ... you beat me to it Ben.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password