Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

roguecoolman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Hello All,

Continuation of my trip from DV.

first thread is here http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1160279/0?keyword=death#11066213

I finally crossed another item off my must-see list. I've always wanted to go to the race track but just never did and of course I was afraid to my drive my sedan on the bumpy road. I finally decided to just rent one of those pink jeeps and boy it was a fun drive down there (I thought the jeep was going to fall apart :P ). It's was a wonderful experience! Had to put on the hood because ears started to hurt cause of the massive wind blowing around there.

I took these in progression to the sun setting, the last offering the best color.

The Race Track Playa #1 by Jason Chong's Photography, on Flickr

The Race Track Playa #2 by Jason Chong's Photography, on Flickr

Who Will Win? by Jason Chong's Photography, on Flickr

The Race Track Playa #3 by Jason Chong's Photography, on Flickr

C&C welcome,

Jason

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Jred
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Nice color.

John

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:24 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

The Racetrack playa is a wonderful place. Good to see you got out there!

Dan

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:17 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #4 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Thanks John and Dan!

Jason

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:18 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Very nice.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

You were fortunate to capture nice sky colors. I like #2 the most, with #4 being next favorite.

Nov 23, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.1 #7 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Nice set of Racetrack shots. #4 is my fav. BTW, you were smart to rent one of the Jeeps instead of taking you own car there. My truck has never been the same since I took it there!

Nov 26, 2012 at 04:31 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #8 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Thanks Jonathan, Alatoo60 and Jim.

Jim Bau wrote:
Nice set of Racetrack shots. #4 is my fav. BTW, you were smart to rent one of the Jeeps instead of taking you own car there. My truck has never been the same since I took it there!

I did see a few sedans there, not sure how they made it though. Probably drove really slow.

Jason

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:56 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Very nice series here. It's a toss up between #'s 3 & 4 as my favs. But I would have to give the nod to #3. Thanks for sharing!

-Nick

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:21 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Hey Jason,

Cool shots. #2 is my favorite. I like the composition of #4, but the cloud in the sky feels cut off. Perhaps just a crop above the mountains and lose those clouds entirely?

Jim

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bills_pix

p.1 #11 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Nicely done, especially 2 and 4. Luckily you had clouds and color. When we were there nothing but blue sky.

FWIW, a 2 month old rented Nissan Xterra handles the road just fine in 35 minutes.

Nov 27, 2012 at 06:15 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #12 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

JimFox wrote:
Hey Jason,

Cool shots. #2 is my favorite. I like the composition of #4, but the cloud in the sky feels cut off. Perhaps just a crop above the mountains and lose those clouds entirely?

Jim

Thanks Jim. Yeah I think I have to rework the comp on #4. i just hate to loose that colorful cloud .

Jason

Nov 28, 2012 at 02:03 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #13 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Jason,
Great Racetrack shots!
On your second shot. I was there about a week ago and have a very similar framing to yours. The difference is that the front rock is different. It's sad but I believe people are messing with the rocks and tracks...

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:03 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #14 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

The overall composition of the fist is my favorite, but It bothers me that the clouds are trying to pull me off to the right after having been led to the left by the tracks. Not much you could do about that, but I still like it. The 4th is a close second, especially because of the contrast of the pink mud and the dark mountains. I think perhaps it may have been better with more of the sky and cloud overhanging the land, but I don't think I would crop out the cloud; even with it only partially there it contributes a lot.I think it may need to be there to "explain" the color of the land. Anyway, neat shots.

Dave

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:06 AM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #15 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Fred Miranda wrote:
Jason,
Great Racetrack shots!
On your second shot. I was there about a week ago and have a very similar framing to yours. The difference is that the front rock is different. It's sad but I believe people are messing with the rocks and tracks...

Thanks Fred.

That's really sad news that people are messing up these very special spots for others. It took me so many years to finally get there and I hate to think what other fantastic spots that will be destroyed by people when I eventually get other places. It just won't be the same .

Jason

Nov 28, 2012 at 03:06 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Fred Miranda wrote:
Jason,
Great Racetrack shots!

Unfortunately, the have been doing so for at least the last few years. Some have actually been removed.

This stuff concerns me. A lot. It is one reason that I retracted a lengthy guide to DEVA photography that used to be posted on my web site...

There are still places that are less visited.

Dan

Nov 28, 2012 at 04:44 AM
M.P.R.
• •
p.1 #17 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Nice set! Like the first the best, because of the movement in the clouds.

Frank

Nov 28, 2012 at 05:48 AM
nikonmedic
• •
p.1 #18 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

Love the clouds.

I'm going there next month. What's rate for the pink jeep? I'm still debating if I should drive my own SUV to see the racetracks.

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:42 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #19 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

nikonmedic wrote:
Love the clouds.

I'm going there next month. What's rate for the pink jeep? I'm still debating if I should drive my own SUV to see the racetracks.

they go for $175 per day (they have options for extra things that you can decline). This was my first time there so I can't say what would happen to your SUV. I did see a bunch of subaru outbacks, 1 CRV and they seemed fine. Just drive slow I suppose. From talking to the jeep vendor they regularly drive to the track to check the conditions of the road and after the rain storms the road condition gets worse.

Nov 29, 2012 at 07:12 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Death Valley (II) - to the track

nikonmedic wrote:
Love the clouds.

I've been out there many times. If the weather is fine, a typical SUV should be fine, but don't try to emulate the wackos who drive that road at high speeds - it is a recipe for disaster in the form of a blow-out or a spin-out. (Higher speeds on gravel roads are appropriate in some places - but not this one.)

Some will tell you that you can drive out there in any old suburban vehicle, and they will even tell you that they did so and got away with it. For those who might think about that option, let me heartily unrecommend it. It is possible to force your Prius out there - I've seen it done - but it is not wise and you will not have a pleasant trip at all.

And for everyone going to the Racetrack, a few other words, especially as winter rainy season approaches.

1. The playa is formed by flooding. The beautiful formations and texture of the playa surface that we all go to such extents to photograph is formed when the playa is flooded and then dries slowly. Some inconsiderate folks drive out there when it is muddy and then cannot resist the temptation to slop their way out toward the rocks... leaving footprints that remain for literally years. Don't be one of those people.

2. The playa is a place of vast silence, space, and solitude. Please respect that.

3. Death Valley is full of places of vast silence, space, and solitude. It took me a few visits to the Racetrack to understand that those places are also very beautiful and worthy of exploration.

Enjoy.

Dan

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:16 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password