Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

Still having issues with using this camera and a flash.

Basically...I have a G10 and my flash (a Metz digital) that works perfectly with it and my DSLRs isn't recognized by the G1X...it is as if no flash is connected. It will fire the flash however......but no adjustments are made to settings on the flash or in the camera.

I also used the G10 with a radio trigger in a studio and set the aperture and shutter speed from a flash meter. When I go to use the G1X with similar settings the screen goes dark when I depress the shutter release to focus (it is showing what the image would be like with the settings I am using....not of course taking into account the flash will fire). This doesn't happen on the G10...the screen remains normal as it detects an external flash of some description will be used.

Initially I wondered if there was some adjustment I needed to make on the G1X that wasn't needed with the G10......but if there is Canon Support don't seem aware of it either......all in all it looks like a technical fault unless someone here has a solution?

Canon Support Center have spent two weeks trying to sort out the problem, but I'm not getting anywhere with them.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:09 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

Minor update on this.....it would be appreciated if any G1X owners can check this out.

From some information Canon sent last week I think I have identified the fault.

There is a small micro switch within the hotshoe that recognizes when a flash is attached. On my G10, when I depress it with a small screwdriver the camera goes into 'flash attached' mode. On the G1X nothing seems to happen. I have passed this information back to Canon Support and am waiting for a response.

It would be helpful to know if this micro switch (on the left when viewed from the back...under the left retaining strip) does anything obvious on other members G1Xs......if it doesn't act like it does on my G10 then it could still be a menu setting that is wrong.

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:50 AM
Massimo Foti
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

I am on the road right now. I'll try to run some test as soon as I will be back home

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:33 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

Massimo Foti wrote:
I am on the road right now. I'll try to run some test as soon as I will be back home

Thanks....

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Snead
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

Just read your post and tried my G1X with a Canon 580 flashgun. I set the camera to TV mode and the shutter speed to 1/125 and shot 5 exposures with no problems all images were properly exposed and the flash fired every time.

Nov 22, 2012 at 01:22 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

Snead wrote:
Just read your post and tried my G1X with a Canon 580 flashgun. I set the camera to TV mode and the shutter speed to 1/125 and shot 5 exposures with no problems all images were properly exposed and the flash fired every time.

Can you try using the flash in a manual mode with the settings manually set on the camera?

For example.....I tend to use something like 1/125 x f5.6. In a studio lit mainly by modelling lights. This low ambient light will black out the screen! But when the strobes fire the exposure is spot on. (settings come from a flash meter in this case).

After various email exchanges with Canon it does look as if the problem is the switch on the left of the hot shoe. This must allow flash / camera communication to take place...and put the screen to constant bright mode...as it does with my G10.

Depressing the switch on myG10 effects the camera settings...on the G1X nothing changes. Canon have agreed that the G1X should respond the same as the G10 when the switch is activated....but are investigating if there is some menu setting causing the problem.

Nov 22, 2012 at 04:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Massimo Foti
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

I just did a quick test with my G1X and Canon 270 EX. Everything looks fine.
I used the 270 EX a lot on my G12, so, since G1X allows me to push ISO to 1600/2000, I don't use it that much. Still I haven't see anything strange.

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:09 AM
Snead
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

anthonygh wrote:
Can you try using the flash in a manual mode with the settings manually set on the camera?

For example.....I tend to use something like 1/125 x f5.6. In a studio lit mainly by modelling lights. This low ambient light will black out the screen! But when the strobes fire the exposure is spot on. (settings come from a flash meter in this case).

After various email exchanges with Canon it does look as if the problem is the switch on the left of the hot shoe. This must allow flash / camera communication to take place...and put the screen to
...Show more
I tried the G1X in manual mode with a 580 flash gun and it fired every time with no problems. I did notice a difference in performance between the G1X and a 5DII using the same flash and settings. With the G1X flash exposures are controlled only by the camera. When using the 5DII in manual mode with the same flash and settings, the flash runs in auto mode and controls exposure.

Nov 23, 2012 at 04:25 PM
riokid
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

Do you have access to a REAL Canon EX series flash to test if you encounter the same problems with your Metz

Just curious, as non-Canon flashes (specifically - Sigma) seems to require firmware updates whn used with a newer Canon bodies

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:09 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

I'm sure you all know this, but Canon Speedlites don't work the same way in M mode on Powershots and dslrs

On dslr's you can choose the Ap and SS and the flash adapts to your settings, on Powershots the flash just fires, you have to dial it down yourself using the manual power settings

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:20 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · G1X external flash problems....suggestions anyone?

My Metz performs differently on my G10 to the G1X....the G1X doesn't even recognize that a flash (or radio trigger) is attached whereas the G10 and Metz communicate. Canon Support believe both cameras should act the same, and increasingly it looks as if the switch on the hot shoe isn't functioning as it is this that lets the camera know something is attached to the hot shoe and so activates the communication pins. The central pin always fires any flash attached to it.

Regarding the Speedlight.......I know it requires output to be set manually.....but on the G10 (as I recall) it sets the shutter to 1/60 and shows the external flash symbol. On the G1X...nothing changes.

It looks as if Canon are going to take it in for repair / examination. Canon is investigating another issue...specifically, if I use a shutter / aperture combination from a spot meter reading where the ambient light is low...the screen dims to an unusable level when the shutter release is partly depressed. This makes precise low light photography difficult which kind of negates one of the highlighted features of this camera...its low light abilities.

I think I have come up with a possible workaround ...but I am waiting to see what Canon come up with.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password