Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              38      
       40       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.39 #1 · p.39 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

deepbluejh wrote:
The reality is though if they want to be on the same level as Canon Ls, they are going to have to master the AF consistency that professionals have come to expect. I've seen nothing to indicate that they have figured this out yet, sadly.

I really hope that the Sigma don't go down to the level of the 35L. It's way above that level today. Which every review and test also say.
It's amazing that someone that never have used the lens can make so many posts about it !! And saying it's not good !!

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:23 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.39 #2 · p.39 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars Johnsson wrote:
I really hope that the Sigma don't go down to the level of the 35L. It's way above that level today. Which every review and test also say.
It's amazing that someone that never have used the lens can make so many posts about it !! And saying it's not good !!

Lars, please don't distort what I'm saying.

Optically the Sigma is obviously superior to the L. Everyone has stated that and I believe it. My only grind with Sigma lenses is the autofocusing consistency, which seems to be an issue with this lens, like the other lenses in the past. That's all.

Mar 28, 2013 at 08:30 PM
Larate
• •
p.39 #3 · p.39 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Jean jacques wrote:
first impressions of sigma 35mm/1.4 are great with my 5D3!
It is an outstanding lens
here is my first samples

http://hanche-genou.com/album-louvres35mm/index.html

Je préfère vous répondre ici que sur CI où l'air est malsain.
Votre premier test était perfectible comme je vous l'avais dit. En revanche, celui-ci est très bien. Merci.

Thank you very much for sharing your samples. They are very interesting and now I have a better feeling about this lens.
I'd like to say that some of your "samples" look more artistic than technical.

Enjoy your siggy!
Larate

Mar 28, 2013 at 09:42 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.39 #4 · p.39 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Larate wrote:
Je préfère vous répondre ici que sur CI où l'air est malsain.
Votre premier test était perfectible comme je vous l'avais dit. En revanche, celui-ci est très bien. Merci.

Thank you very much for sharing your samples. They are very interesting and now I have a better feeling about this lens.
I'd like to say that some of your "samples" look more artistic than technical.

Enjoy your siggy!
Larate

+1
Yes enjoy your Siggy. And very nice pics in your link

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:53 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.39 #5 · p.39 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I went ahead and placed a WTB thread for this lens although it is widely available but I really would like to buy a known good copy from a well established FMer. I got a response from another FMer that guaranteed that his lens would perform well or I could return it to him for a full refund. I went ahead and purchased it although the difference in price between a new and used one wasn't that much. Again, the idea was to ensure getting a good copy without hassle and not driven to save money.

I received the lens today. The first step was to see whether there was a need for any MA and to my delight, it didn't need any adjustment at all on my 5D Mark III. That made me always feel good. In a good bright light indoor, the AF of the lens performed just fine. It locked the target fast and sure-footed and most importantly on target. It didn't miss any AF in the 15 or so test shots around the house. The same goes for various distances, at MFD to 8-10 feet to 25feet, etc. it focused right on the money. It didn't come as a surprise that the outdoor shots were just fine, AF-wise that is.

Then off to our favorite sushi place. I shot some 15 shots there at various distances from MFD to about 30-35 feet or so under artificial light and to my pleasant surprise, only one shot was off. I noticed that the target wasn't really contrasty in that shot. It was a printed sign and basically a two dimensional item taken at an angle.

I am very pleased the AF and the consistency of the AF of my copy of this lens . One thing that I haven't mentioned, the IQ. So far, I haven't taken any shot using aperture other than f/1.4! I am impressed with the sharpness, contrast and overall IQ generated by the lens, even at that aperture. Well, vignetting is noticeable alright but, hey a fast lens at wide open and I detected some longitudinal CA on contrasty out-of-focus areas but that's was not surprising. In summary, I bought a used Sigma lottery ticket and it looks like I got a winning ticket here. Color me impressed and I drink a bourbon to that .

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    35mm lens    35mm    f/1.4    1/50s    100 ISO    +1.0 EV  

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:07 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.39 #6 · p.39 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Good move Joshua. If I was after that lens I'd do the same.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:35 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.39 #7 · p.39 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

AGeoJO wrote:
I went ahead and placed a WTB thread for this lens although it is widely available but I really would like to buy a known good copy from a well established FMer. I got a response from another FMer that guaranteed that his lens would perform well or I could return it to him for a full refund. I went ahead and purchased it although the difference in price between a new and used one wasn't that much. Again, the idea was to ensure getting a good copy without hassle and not driven to save money.

I received the lens today.
...Show more

Do you like it wide open ? Is it sharp enough wide open compared to other f/1,4 lenses

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Shaun Nyc
• •
p.39 #8 · p.39 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars Johnsson wrote:

what road is that ? That it's been the best 35 for over a decade ? I would like to see a bunch of exif stripped wide open examples from both and see who can match them up.

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:01 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.39 #9 · p.39 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Shaun Nyc wrote:
what road is that ? That it's been the best 35 for over a decade ? I would like to see a bunch of exif stripped wide open examples from both and see who can match them up.

The Zeiss ZE with Canon mount can easily match and beat the 35L. The best 35mm lens for a decade It's a good lens, but certainly not the best....

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:03 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.39 #10 · p.39 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Do you like it wide open ? Is it sharp enough wide open compared to other f/1,4 lenses

Lars, yes, I like the lens, even at wide open aperture. I didn't do any direct comparison between the Sigma and Canon 35mmL. I sold my 35mmL in September of last year after I bought a 24-70mm Mark II. At 35mm and wide open the zoom lens was good and although the 35mmL may have performed better at f/2.8 but the difference in my opinion is negligible. Yes, of course, I could use the 35mmL at wider apertures but somehow at wide open aperture my 35mmL performed "OK" for lack of a more descriptive adjective. To me the difference in speed between f/2.0 of the 35mmL and f/2.8 of the zoom lens was not a big deal, not that it wasn't there. This is my personal opinion and you don't have to agree with me. When I had my 24-105mm lens, the difference between f/4.0 of the zoom and f/2.0 of the 35mmL was definitely more pronounced. That's why I used my 35mmL until the 24-70mm Mark II came about.

Why did I buy the Sigma 35mm then? Because from what I could see, the performance of that lens at aperture wider than f/2.0 seems to excellent. So far, this lens has impressed me and I do not hesitate to use it at wide open aperture. It was more the AF consistency that bothered me before, like I mentioned before.

To answer your "actual" question , Lars, whether the Sigma performs better at f/1.4 than the 35mmL? I would say, yes, but it was based more on memory and not on a direct comparison.

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnDizzo15

p.39 #11 · p.39 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I shot them side by side for the few days I had the respective copies of the S35. It is significantly better than the L when you are spot on with focus. I have been shooting with the L the past few days and wishing for the optical excellence of the S35. It is absolutely stunning....especially wide open.

I used to be very happy with the 35L.

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:36 PM
mike hogle

p.39 #12 · p.39 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I would really like to have a sharp copy of this lens that would work without adjustments on both my 5Dc and 1Diii, and I am ready to spend the money. But I don't want the hassle of doing a bunch of testing and sending back several before I get a good one. After reading this entire thread, I am not sure what percentage of people are unhappy with the focus precision. Is it 10% or 40% or somewhere in between? Also, what happens to the returned lenses, lets say at B&H, Beach Camera, or Adorama? Do they get shipped back to Sigma, or just sent out to the next buyer? If they don't send them back for service checks, then you have the same "bad" lenses going out again and again, which would be terrible publicity for Sigma.

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:43 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.39 #13 · p.39 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

mike hogle wrote:
I would really like to have a sharp copy of this lens that would work without adjustments on both my 5Dc and 1Diii, and I am ready to spend the money. But I don't want the hassle of doing a bunch of testing and sending back several before I get a good one. After reading this entire thread, I am not sure what percentage of people are unhappy with the focus precision. Is it 10% or 40% or somewhere in between? Also, what happens to the returned lenses, lets say at B&H, Beach Camera, or Adorama? Do they get
...Show more

My lens was sharp and had very good AF on all my 4 different Canon bodies.

Mar 30, 2013 at 04:47 PM
JohnDizzo15

p.39 #14 · p.39 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

No harm in buying through BH and trying it out. I requested an RMA after several days of use, indicated the issues I was having in the request and they were kind enough to cover the shipping charge back to them. No harm, no foul.

I'm sure there is a much higher percentage of people that are perfectly satisfied with their S35 as opposed to people that are having problems. I say give it a try.

Mar 30, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.39 #15 · p.39 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Yakim Peled wrote:
Good move Joshua. If I was after that lens I'd do the same.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

That's part of the reasoning I'm using when buying stuff: I was thinking that just about anything can be bad with a new lens in the box, and if I'm unable to find it in time, the shop will place the blame on me ("impact damage while carrying it home" and whatnot), but a used lens from someone who had had some time with it is more of a chance to get a good one (unless that person is secretly trying to get rid of damaged gear, which should be pretty obvious on inspection).

Oh, and the price, of course.

Mar 31, 2013 at 09:13 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.39 #16 · p.39 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
I'm sure there is a much higher percentage of people that are perfectly satisfied with their S35 as opposed to people that are having problems. I say give it a try.

I think so too. In fact, I am sure of it.

But I can't help but wonder what went wrong with the few lenses that do have inconsistent AF, depending on subject distance and lighting conditions? What on earth happend in the factory? What went wrong, and why do these lenses slip through QC?

I dare to say that such a flaw is unacceptable to every photographer out there.

Mar 31, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.39 #17 · p.39 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

After 39 pages of this thread and many many pages on POTN I see nothing at all to warrant selling a 35L for. The microscopic sharpness difference is negligible in the real world for the purpose of real image making. Now that's out of the way I'll add: My 35L was terrible when I got it, that is until I got it calibrated by CPS. Microadjusting had not helped at all. Now its very sharp and focuses very accurately. AF issues with fast 35's are not just limited to Sigma. If I were in the market for a new 35mm f/1.4, I'd definitely opt for the Sigma because its cheaper and very good, but I'd never be so silly as to overdose on the cool aid and sell my (calibrated) 35L for the Sigma.

Edited on Apr 03, 2013 at 09:40 AM · View previous versions

Mar 31, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Fverburg

p.39 #18 · p.39 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I'm very happy with mine

Apr 02, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Rickuz
• •
p.39 #19 · p.39 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Well, I finally bought the lens. First I was very impressed by the sharpness and excellent build quality , but then I noticed that nearly half of my shots are slightly out of focus. Subject distance and lighting conditions does not matter (which is good, I guess), but I am getting mixed results.

I can take multiple shots of the same target (like a brick wall in bright daylight), and about 30 - 50% of my shots ends up OOF.. I don't think this is normal.

Anyone else getting mixed results when shooting the same target at fixed distance in good lighting?

Apr 03, 2013 at 09:32 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.39 #20 · p.39 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Show us some of your test shots

Apr 03, 2013 at 03:24 PM
       40       41       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

40       41       end