Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              36      
37
       38              40       41       end
  

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions
  
 
JohnDizzo15
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #1 · p.37 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Loved the shots that it produced where the AF was spot on. Had trouble getting any kind of consistency on my body with two copies though. Returned the first to BH and the second to a camera shop in LA. I am sold on the awesomeness of the IQ. Just need to figure out how I can get a copy to play nice with my 5DIII without having to send both to Sigma.


Mar 24, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Rickuz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #2 · p.37 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Ok guys. Someone at POTN just got their S35 back from Sigma Service. He says he sent it in because of AF inconsistency based on distance and lighting conditions.

Apparently Sigma fixed his lens, simply by updating it with new firmware.

Fifth post from above: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1229122&page=187

Interesting.



Mar 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #3 · p.37 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Paul Mo - "Point 4: Apparently there are some bad copies as well. - Apparently there may be some photographers (who rely too heavily on AF perhaps) with poor technique, too." That is a laughable statement at best.

Perhaps a bag full of Rokinons would have sufficed for someone with your level of expertise and stunning ability? Get off your high horse, dude.

Not necessary or justified for you to try to offend people through your inferences.



But it is justified for you?

It is a touchy subject, isn't it? Since when is discussing technique being on a high horse? Isn't that what we are here for? Or should we constantly butt-lick each other?

To be clear I was not making inferences - unlike you with your snide remarks.

We should be able to debate things without getting personal, and yet I know that that is sometimes hard to avoid.

Are you disputing the fact that poor technique exists? Personally I have thrown away about 140GB of photos this week alone.

Rokinons, whatever - I grew up on manual focus Nikkors.

AF can be unreliable in many situations - it is not magic.

So please stay on topic and stop attacking - unless it brings you joy.







Mar 25, 2013 at 12:37 AM
JohnDizzo15
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #4 · p.37 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Is this the same Paul Mo that only several pages earlier stated that "some people need to learn how to use a camera" in response to people expressing their experiences with AF issues?

Now you are pointing fingers at me for snide remarks and attacks? Again, get a grip, dude.



Mar 25, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #5 · p.37 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Is this the same Paul Mo that only several pages earlier stated that "some people need to learn how to use a camera" in response to people expressing their experiences with AF issues?

Now you are pointing fingers at me for snide remarks and attacks? Again, get a grip, dude.



To be human is to be a hypocrite.

Well, they do, don't they? Or is everyone so perfect we should close this forum and not bother?

I know I am constantly doubting myself and royally screwing things up. So your point is?






Mar 25, 2013 at 12:53 AM
JohnDizzo15
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #6 · p.37 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Some people do need to.

However, we have started a dialogue here where there are people that have exhibited a decent level of understanding of photography and equipment function who have expressed in detail their experiences with this new lens. And all you have done the majority of the time is make statements that are meant only to belittle and discredit their findings.

My point, as it were, was to help you understand that your comments thus far have not helped to perpetuate a productive conversation so much as it has deteriorated it.



Mar 25, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #7 · p.37 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
My point, as it were, was to help you understand that your comments thus far have not helped to perpetuate a productive conversation so much as it has deteriorated it.



I accept that and think the same can be said for many people all over this forum (yourself included in your post addressing my 'Point 4') - it is the nature of the beast.

Robust debate is needed but you know, the Internet is often the last place that that can happen constructively because we aren't face to face thrashing out ideas.

And when I wrote, 'That to be human is to be a hypocrite', it was another way of saying do as I say not as I do. Or, that if we are honest, we can't open our mouths without being hypocritical. It is part of the human condition.

I often make flippant remarks, and they may seem harsh, but I also hope they can trigger something within people - that can get people looking at their work and practice - because photography is not easy. In fact, it may be the case that is harder than at any time in history due to the sheer volume of talent and excellent imaging equipment that exists (I know the contradiction here) - especially the Sigma 35.



Mar 25, 2013 at 01:11 AM
RonMJ
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #8 · p.37 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Paul Mo wrote:
I accept that and think the same can be said for many people all over this forum (yourself included in your post addressing my 'Point 4') - it is the nature of the beast.

Robust debate is needed but you know, the Internet is often the last place that that can happen constructively because we aren't face to face thrashing out ideas.

And when I wrote, 'That to be human is to be a hypocrite', it was another way of saying do as I say not as I do. Or, that if we are honest, we can't open our mouths
...Show more
Being hypocritical is not part of the human condition. At least not the humans I associate with.



Mar 25, 2013 at 02:04 AM
marko1953
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #9 · p.37 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


RonMJ wrote:
Being hypocritical is not part of the human condition. At least not the humans I associate with.


Please everybody! stop replying to Paul Mo! He is obviously out of step with what goes on here. And as for ..

"but I also hope they can trigger something within people - that can get people looking at their work and practice" !!

Please! Paul when you are perfect, maybe then you will start making a bit of sense and stop trying to speak as from a position of authority. Every post just makes you sound a little more arrogant, conceited and stupid!



Mar 25, 2013 at 08:02 AM
JohnDizzo15
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #10 · p.37 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Rickuz wrote:
Ok guys. Someone at POTN just got their S35 back from Sigma Service. He says he sent it in because of AF inconsistency based on distance and lighting conditions.

Apparently Sigma fixed his lens, simply by updating it with new firmware.

Fifth post from above: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1229122&page=187

Interesting.


Just called Sigma NY again and verified that they are in fact updating the firmware on copies that are sent in. Didn't get much detail beyond that. Wondering how long it will be before vendors begin to stock copies with the most recent release.



Mar 25, 2013 at 04:06 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



mikeinctown
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #11 · p.37 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Just called Sigma NY again and verified that they are in fact updating the firmware on copies that are sent in. Didn't get much detail beyond that. Wondering how long it will be before vendors begin to stock copies with the most recent release.


I called to find out the instructions on how to send my lens in for calibration. the first question I was asked is if I am manually choosing one focus point and not letting the camera choose one for me. (I use center point focus only) I was given instructions on filling out the on line form and sending the lens to Ney York. However, when I asked about turnaround time... 2 WEEKS

I'm sorry but a brand new lens @$900 being sent in for issues shouldn't be sitting in line for 2 weeks.



Mar 25, 2013 at 06:08 PM
JohnDizzo15
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #12 · p.37 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Agreed regarding the two weeks. Don't know what happened though. Perhaps an influx of work? I just spoke to a technician a few days ago and he indicated it would be a 24 hour turn around.


Mar 25, 2013 at 06:28 PM
mikeinctown
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #13 · p.37 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Sure hope it is less than 2 weeks. I am sending them my lens tomorrow.

Oh, one more thing. Apparently sending them a new lens because it doesn't focus correctly isn't a warranty issue. I was told they would check it "as a courtesy". Sorry, but if an autofocus lens cannot focus correctly then it is defective as manufactured.



Mar 25, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Snopchenko
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #14 · p.37 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Pretty embarrassing to read all of this; whatever happened to the claims of improved QC?
Well, I'm lucky that all my lenses have been spot on, whatever the mount...



Mar 25, 2013 at 08:49 PM
RonMJ
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #15 · p.37 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


According to Sigma customer service:

1) the only know problem is with the perimeter focusing points and
2) they receive less than 10 per week at the national service center.




Mar 25, 2013 at 09:38 PM
JohnDizzo15
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #16 · p.37 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


Been bothered by not having anymore specifics so called the ny service center again to speak with a tech. This time, the tech indicated that they have primarily had to service the lens from people with D800s and 5DIIIs (more so with the D800s). He also indicated that when the lenses have been sent in, they have been mapping the curve and adjusting it accordingly to match the body (a very in depth/sophisticated AFMA based on his description and not a firmware update as previously stated by another rep I spoke with) which is a process we will also be able to do ourselves once the dock is out. Stated they had a copy of the dock at their service center last week and that it should be hitting the market "very soon."


Mar 26, 2013 at 08:52 PM
RonMJ
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #17 · p.37 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Been bothered by not having anymore specifics so called the ny service center again to speak with a tech. This time, the tech indicated that they have primarily had to service the lens from people with D800s and 5DIIIs (more so with the D800s). He also indicated that when the lenses have been sent in, they have been mapping the curve and adjusting it accordingly to match the body (a very in depth/sophisticated AFMA based on his description and not a firmware update as previously stated by another rep I spoke with) which is a process we will also be
...Show more

So if you map it to work with a 5DIII, does it then not work with a 7D? Or a 5DII?




Mar 26, 2013 at 10:03 PM
JohnDizzo15
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #18 · p.37 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


No idea. lol. Something that also crossed my mind.

Part of his explanation I forgot to mention was that not all copies of specific bodies will always have 100% identical components inside as all their counterparts. He indicated that a lot of times, companies like Nikon and Canon will have multiple companies producing the same parts for them which may/can cause variance issues when pairing the body with their lenses. Specifically, my 5diii may respond differently to the lens than another 5diii simply because some of the electronic components are not the same. No idea how accurate this information is, but that's what I was told by the tech.



Mar 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Rickuz
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.37 #19 · p.37 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Been bothered by not having anymore specifics so called the ny service center again to speak with a tech. This time, the tech indicated that they have primarily had to service the lens from people with D800s and 5DIIIs (more so with the D800s). He also indicated that when the lenses have been sent in, they have been mapping the curve and adjusting it accordingly to match the body (a very in depth/sophisticated AFMA based on his description and not a firmware update as previously stated by another rep I spoke with) which is a process we will also be
...Show more

A very in depth/sophisticated AFMA that we will be able to do ourselves?..

Interesting. I think that I might just wait for this dock to arrive. I also hope that someone who owns an inconsistent Sigma lens will try the dock and review it for us.




Mar 26, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Yakim Peled
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.37 #20 · p.37 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions


I remember having a Sigma 50/1.4 about two years ago that I tried to calibrate. I spent ~3 hours with the head technitian and in the end he said he could only calibrate it to one body, to one AF point and only to a specific range. He did, but after a few months I felt it was too limiting to I sold it. It's so frustrating to hear these problems still persist.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.



Mar 27, 2013 at 07:58 AM
1       2       3              36      
37
       38              40       41       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              36      
37
       38              40       41       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password