Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              35      
       37              40       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.36 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Not a word about AF consistency or accuracy on the Sigma 35 from the data you posted either.

Mar 24, 2013 at 03:18 AM
JohnDizzo15

p.36 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Went in store at Canoga Camera today. Purchased my second copy and shot with it for most of the day. Same result as my first copy. AF was all over the place. Only this time, the guy at the counter had actually tested this copy on another 5DIII and had no issues which I was able to confirm as well. We reviewed the shots I got with my copy of the 5DIII when I went in to return the lens and he concurred that the lens was way off when paired with my body. Was getting about a 20% hit rate. On their body though, it was about 80-90%. We were both stumped.

Anyway, all the guys in here getting butt-hurt defensive about this lens need to take a chill pill. No one is saying the lens is junk. We are happy that you were fortunate enough to have a good copy that plays nice with your body and would love to have the same joy. We have all generally recognized that properly working copies of the lens are extraordinary. However, this doesn't take away from the fact that some of us have had problems. Would it please you guys if everyone in here only said glowing things about their experiences? Get a grip.

Edited on Mar 24, 2013 at 06:00 AM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2013 at 05:18 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.36 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Paul Mo wrote:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8584689538_66aefa93ac_o.jpg

Canon 5D3, Sigma 35 f1.4, 1/1000th @ f2, 100iso.

Bash that Sigma.

Nice,

but I'm sure the super Basher will Bash it again

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:00 AM
marko1953
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.36 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Is posting one good photo along with a challenge "Bash that Sigma", supposed to prove something? What are you upset about?
Of course there will be some people on here who have good copies. Apparently there are some bad copies as well.
Let's accept that and move on.

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:50 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.36 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

marko1953 wrote:
Is posting one good photo along with a challenge "Bash that Sigma", supposed to prove something? What are you upset about?
Of course there will be some people on here who have good copies. Apparently there are some bad copies as well.

In response to what you wrote.

Point 1: supposed to prove something? - Yes, that my copy has been brilliant out of the box along with lenses owned by other users.

Point 2: What are you upset about? - Lying politicians, corruption, general maltreatment of the environment and peoples the world over. And you?

Point 3: Of course there will be some people on here who have good copies. - That's me of course.

Point 4: Apparently there are some bad copies as well. - Apparently there may be some photographers (who rely too heavily on AF perhaps) with poor technique, too.

Point 5: Let's accept that and move on. - I've never had an issue with anything in this thread.

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:16 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.36 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Paul Mo wrote:
In response to what you wrote.

Point 1:
supposed to prove something? - Yes, that my copy has been brilliant out of the box along with lenses owned by other users.

Point 2:
What are you upset about? - Lying politicians, corruption, general maltreatment of the environment and peoples the world over. And you?

Point 3:
Of course there will be some people on here who have good copies. - That's me of course.

Point 4:
Apparently there are some bad copies as well. - Apparently there may be some photographers (who rely too heavily on AF perhaps) with poor technique, too.

Point 5:
...Show more

Well, then, can you please explain the comment "Bash that Sigma"? You seem to be upset about some people bashing the Sigma. That much is obvious. Or maybe you just have a very abrupt manner?
I stand by my original point , posting ONE photo (about Sigma AF) doesn't prove anything. For all we know you could have manual focused it.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:16 AM
Ulan
• •
p.36 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I had to perform a +10 micro adjustment with my 5DIII. AF is now reliable, accurate, even at f1.4. I didn't notice a lighting or distance issue,

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:38 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.36 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Went in store at Canoga Camera today. Purchased my second copy and shot with it for most of the day. Same result as my first copy. AF was all over the place. Only this time, the guy at the counter had actually tested this copy on another 5DIII and had no issues which I was able to confirm as well. We reviewed the shots I got with my copy of the 5DIII when I went in to return the lens and he concurred that the lens was way off when paired with my body. Was getting about a 20% hit
...Show more

I wonder how a 35L would perform on both bodies.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Mar 24, 2013 at 08:57 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.36 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Went in store at Canoga Camera today. Purchased my second copy and shot with it for most of the day. Same result as my first copy. AF was all over the place. Only this time, the guy at the counter had actually tested this copy on another 5DIII and had no issues which I was able to confirm as well. We reviewed the shots I got with my copy of the 5DIII when I went in to return the lens and he concurred that the lens was way off when paired with my body. Was getting about a 20% hit
...Show more

So there's an issue with your body then?

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:41 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.36 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

marko1953 wrote:
...can you please explain the comment "Bash that Sigma"?

I posted that with a smile on my face because you can see the lens is obviously dreadful.

As far as posting one image - I don't see the point in clogging up the thread with proof the lens works because my first impression is that I am impressed.

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rickuz
• •
p.36 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

marko1953 wrote:

Indeed.

Like I've said before, Adorama has launched a pilot scheme whereby on request they test Sigma lenses before shipping. They even admit that they have caught a large number of bad lenses in this way.

Official comment from Adorama:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1265016

Why would a big and reputable store like Adorama do or say something like this, unless there really is a problem with Sigma? .. Are they just a bunch of trolling Sigma bashers?

Mar 24, 2013 at 09:58 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.36 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

The fact of the matter is Sigma would be out of business if there were even half as many issues that some would have you believe. Sure there are going to be issues, all lens manufacturers have them. Canon didn't introduce MA into their camera bodies to support 3rd party lens manufacturers... It would also be to alleviate issues with the manufacturing tolerances of the bodies themselves. A body that is +12 out with a lens that is +12 out is going to cause a lot of problems!

Schemes like the one from Adorama above are ideal. The problems with AF under different light sources are worrying. I'd always thought this was more if an issue with the AF system than the lens, but that doesn't appear to be the case here?

I'm looking to buy one next month, as I'll be using it on a 1Ds2 I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.36 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Rickuz wrote:
Indeed.

Like I've said before, Adorama has launched a pilot scheme whereby on request they test Sigma lenses before shipping. They even admit that they have caught a large number of bad lenses in this way.

Why would a big and reputable store like Adorama do or say something like this, unless there really is a problem with Sigma? .. Are they just a bunch of trolling Sigma bashers?

Actually Roger Cicala talked a lot about this on hid website. This thread is Roger Cicalas first impression of the Sigma lens that Fred Miranda started. And in the beginning of the thread he have a link to Rogers LensRental site and blog.
He also write that The old Sigma was bad and had bad repair and service. But he also write that this have change a lot and that quality control, service and repair is much much better today. The pilot scheme that Adorama did launch before was not at all about the Sigma 35/1,4. Here are quotes from roger Cicalas site about this.

"About 5 years ago, I wrote a blog post explaining that quality control problems and horrid repair service meant we would probably stop carrying Sigma products entirely.
Since then, the most amazing thing happened. They got better. The repair center sprouted an efficient and intuitive web page, real people started answering the phones and knew where your stuff was, repair times went from months to weeks, to often days. Quality control seemed to improve, too, except for the large telephoto zooms. Recently they announced ( making announcements Ė what a concept, Nikon) quality control improvements, redesign of some problematic lenses (OK, they didnít use the word problematic lens, thatís me. They just said redesign), and are going to offer the gearheads among us unprecedented ability to fine tune their lenses to our cameras.
So today, we received our first 35mm f/1.4 Sigma lens. The first in their new revamped lineup. (No, you canít rent it yet. Itís going to have to undergo extensive testing at my house over the long weekend. Maybe next week.) I was eager to see it, hoping it was going to be another step forward and hoping to find some signs of what will be adjustable in these new lenses.
OK, you can get out your crayons and color me Fanboy, but this lens is built solidly. It really feels more like a Zeiss 35mm than a Canon or Nikon. Sigma says thereís a lot of metal in there, and at 1.4 pounds I believe them. On the other hand, that makes it several ounces heavier than either the Canon or Nikon, but about the same amount lighter than the Zeiss 35mm f/1.4.
It feels solid, too. The manual focusing ring is smooth and accurate, although I found it a bit stiff. Not problem stiff, but certainly not move-it-with-a-fingertip. Autofocus speed was reasonably quick, about on a par with the Canon 35mm. More importantly to me, AF accuracy was good, too, even when we darkened the room down to the point where many Sigma lenses start hunting."

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM
JohnDizzo15

p.36 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Paul Mo - "Point 4: Apparently there are some bad copies as well. - Apparently there may be some photographers (who rely too heavily on AF perhaps) with poor technique, too." That is a laughable statement at best.

Rely too heavily on AF perhaps? Poor technique? First off, relying on AF is why we all buy AF lenses. I have my Zeiss 50mm Makro, a 45mm TSE and a slew of M42 screw mount lenses for when I don't need AF. That is, however, not why most of us are interested in the S35. What would you say should be the alternative to relying too heavily on AF when using AF able lenses? Perhaps a bag full of Rokinons would have sufficed for someone with your level of expertise and stunning ability? Get off your high horse, dude.

Again, poor technique may in fact account for some of the issues that SOME people have had. However, there are still plenty of us in here that have had extensive experience shooting various bodies and various glass for a long time that know full well what we are doing. Not necessary or justified for you to try to offend people through your inferences.

If your assumption that people are having issues as a result of poor technique has any merit, it would also only make sense that we would also have problems with technique on all of our other fast lenses, right? Or are you inferring that we need to have a different technique in order to handle THIS specific lens? As it stands, the 20k in AF glass I have in my closet all seems to do fine in my inexperienced hands with "poor technique."

I have not said anything bad about Sigma themselves or what they are trying to do as a company with these new lenses. As a matter of fact, I have never believed that they weren't capable of making good glass which is why I have had their 14mm for a good while. What I am saying though, is that I myself have had problems with two copies of the S35 playing nice with my 5DIII which has now been verified by a camera shop.

Yakim - Me too. I didn't think to ask them to mount my 35L on their body at the time. Interesting idea though. May just have to go back.

jj_glos - I actually sent my body into Canon Irvine last year since I had an initial release model that needed the infamous black tape fix for the light leak issue. AF and everything else cleared inspection at that time. It is also currently working fine with my other lenses still.

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.36 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Rickuz wrote:
Indeed.

I'm one of the people who chose to get a lens from Adorama and have it tested before being shipped to me. Despite that, my copy was all over the place on my camera. Near required a given MA, which made anything greater than 10' severely OOF. Then when I would take that same MA and test it 3 hours later, the results were completely different. This after Canon having my camera in and giving it a clean bill of health and having no issues with any other lens I own.

I currently have a 35L coming from the CPS loaner program so I can do some side by side comparisons.

I like the look and feel of the Sigma lens and would prefer not to return it at all. I'd rather send it to Sigma and have them re-calibrate or whatever they do. If they insist on me sending my body to them then I'll just exchange the copy I got and see if I can get luckier the second time around. (because when the AF hits, the shots are so very clear)

Mar 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM
JohnDizzo15

p.36 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

mikeinctown - I actually spoke with a rep from the Sigma Service Center in NY. He recommended sending both the lens and body in for calibration (unsurprising). Not something I felt like doing at the moment. I felt the same way you did about swapping for a second copy. He also indicated that there would only be a 24 hour turn around once they received the items and that it would be shipped back via ground which seems pretty good compared to some of the things I've read in the past about service time. It's also faster than any turn around I've ever gotten from Canon Irvine.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:17 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.36 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Actually Roger Cicala talked a lot about this on hid website. This thread is Roger Cicalas first impression of the Sigma lens that Fred Miranda started. And in the beginning of the thread he have a link to Rogers LensRental site and blog.
He also write that The old Sigma was bad and had bad repair and service. But he also write that this have change a lot and that quality control, service and repair is much much better today. The pilot scheme that Adorama did launch before was not at all about the Sigma 35/1,4. Here are quotes
...Show more

Obviously there is a new religion: The Sigma religion. And some of its followers are very fanatic.

Mar 24, 2013 at 01:52 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.36 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Shot I took today from a portrait session

alyse by mariosworld343, on Flickr

Mar 24, 2013 at 04:52 PM
JohnDizzo15

p.36 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Nice shot, supermario343.

Here's several of the successful AF hits from the S35 (processed).

EQ8C9949 by johndizzo_15, on Flickr

EQ8C0019 by johndizzo_15, on Flickr

EQ8C9967 by johndizzo_15, on Flickr

Mar 24, 2013 at 06:29 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.36 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Nice shot, supermario343.

Thank you John...how do you like the sigma so far?

Mar 24, 2013 at 07:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password