34              40       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

supermario343
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.33 #1 · p.33 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Thanks, supermario343.

In the end, I have to admit that the only way to truly satisfy my curiosity is to just bite the bullet and get one.

BH Order placed. Itch scratched. Hoping it will be all it is supposed to be.

Not a problem. It's def. a lens to try, if you get a bad copy you can always return it for another. BH has excellent customer service. If you get a sharp, consistent copy like I did, then even better Happy shooting.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.33 #2 · p.33 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Just arrived a few hours ago. Great build and was really excited to mount it only to realize it focuses inconsistently. Ran it through FoCal several times which indicated to AFMA to +14. Still getting OOF shots from varying distances and lighting which has been frustrating. Anyone else having a similar experience?

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:50 PM
RobertQ

p.33 #3 · p.33 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I had a similar issue, I got some nice shots with it but it wasn't consistent. I'd microadjust using a chart and get it sharp and then shoot the same chart an hour later under the same conditions and it would be off. I returned it.

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:22 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.33 #4 · p.33 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I had issues with (2) copies and gave up... Focus issues in different lighting conditions.

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:30 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.33 #5 · p.33 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

What gives ? I was under the impression that Sigma has improved their QC recently. Several times I was about to pull the trigger but this definitely doesn't help. Will sending the lens in to Sigma for calibration help the inconsistency issues? Like I said in a different thread, needing MFA is no big deal and I can handle that but I do dislike, no, I hate inconsistencies in AF.

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:40 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.33 #6 · p.33 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Zero focus issues with mine mounted on 5d mkIII. No MA needed either.

Mar 20, 2013 at 06:51 PM
vertigo235

p.33 #7 · p.33 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I got mine today and I have put it through some paces, I'm not seeing any issues and focus seems spot on.

60D, so no MFA

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:40 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.33 #8 · p.33 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Bruce Sawle wrote:

Exactly - some people simply need to learn how to use a camera.

Mar 20, 2013 at 08:42 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.33 #9 · p.33 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Thought we had moved past antagonistic? Guess not, Paul.

I am happy that there are plenty of satisfied new owners of the lens that have gone without issue. I would love nothing more than to be one of them. However, such was not the case for me. I am still continuing to run it through it's paces and was only reporting my initial findings out of the box as the title of this thread contains the words "first impressions."

Paul, I haven't had the same AF issues on any of these other lenses in the shot below minus the Conurus modded Contax N 50 in the corner there. I'd like to think that I've had a little experience operating a camera and various lenses. Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94227509@N07/8575655413/

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.33 #10 · p.33 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Zero focus issues on 3 different bodies. AF is spot on in different lighting conditions also.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.33 #11 · p.33 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:

Thought we had moved past antagonistic? Guess not, Paul.

I am happy that there are plenty of satisfied new owners of the lens that have gone without issue. I would love nothing more than to be one of them. However, such was not the case for me. I am still continuing to run it through it's paces and was only reporting my initial findings out of the box as the title of this thread contains the words "first impressions."

Paul, I haven't had the same AF issues on any of these other lenses in the shot below minus the Conurus modded
...Show more

We all know you just signed up to be an FM member. And you did it to whine about the new Sigma lens. It's rather obvious when 100% of your posts are bashing this lens. Not even one post about anything else

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.33 #12 · p.33 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Bruce Sawle wrote:

+1

Zero issues even in different light. No MA on two bodies

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:19 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.33 #13 · p.33 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

If I were just trying to bash it, why would I have purchased it? Don't know about you but 899 dollars is not something I just throw around for fun. I've also already stated previously why it is that I joined FM so recently. It was specifically because of my interest in this lens. I apologize if I haven't commented on anything else because I simply do not care to. This is what I wanted to know and talk about at the moment.

In case you needed me to throw in some further positives, the lens is awesomely built. Feels like my Zeiss lenses. Better than any of the Canon glass I have ever handled. When it hits, the sharpness and resolution are as advertised. Simply stunning and definitely more impressive than the L at it's peak which I have been very happy with for a long time. The one thing I have really been impressed with so far is the reduction in CA when compared side by side with the L. Dramatically better in that department.

However, I have had inconsistent focus when simply shooting static objects at varying distances which I have not experienced with any of my lenses except for the one I mentioned previously and now this.

So trust me when I say that I want nothing more than for this lens to work out. It is nothing short of stunning when it is on point so far and I really don't feel like having to ship it back for repair or exchange.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:20 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.33 #14 · p.33 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Bruce Sawle wrote:

Bruce, it looks like you won one of the Sigma lottery prices. Selling yours, by any chance ?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
Zero issues even in different light. No MA on two bodies

Sven, yours seems to be even better but your location is too far away for me .

BTW, I am not mocking. I would buy that lens in a heart beat if I know I would get one like either you, guys.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.33 #15 · p.33 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

My Sigma is also perfect. I did a +4 MA with my 1DX. And it's perfect at all distances. Also works great in different light. I have been shooting over 7k pics with it since I bought the lens.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:37 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.33 #16 · p.33 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Lars, I know that there are a lot of happy users, like you, Sven, Bruce to just name a few. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a ticket to the Sigma 35mm lottery.... Like I mentioned previously, I got close of clicking "place order". I know I can return it to the store or even ship it to Sigma for calibration but right now I don't feel like dealing with that hassle...

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.33 #17 · p.33 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I'm a bit depressed at this point and wondering if I should return or send to Sigma.

When I started testing I found that -4 was needed for stuff that was within about 3' of me, but when I focused on something that was further than that, it didn't fare so well. later that day I took some shots in natural light and found that from 8-10' that 0 MA worked better than did -4.

Yesterday I went and did more tests and found that at any distance between 20' and 40' 0 MA sucked and -6 MA was needed to get the sharpest image. At that distance though, the DOF would be great enough to account for minor focus issues.

I'm not sure if I should just keep using the lens at -6 MA and see how things go, or if I should send it in now and just get it sorted. I've also requested a 35L from the CPS loaner program to test out and get a feel for what I am expecting the Sigma to do VS what the Canon will do.

Mar 21, 2013 at 07:19 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.33 #18 · p.33 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

mikeinctown - you, the other two guys up top and myself clearly all need to learn how to use a camera. After digging some more, I suppose the verified buyers that also had the same problem at BH and Amazon also need tutorials on how to use a camera.

Just for clarification and further details of what I have experienced....

Shooting the S35 on a 5DIII set to spot AF, wide open. Was consistently getting static objects OOF at 2-5 ft. To eliminate myself from the equation, I tethered the rig to my laptop and ran it through Reikan FoCal 6 times and consistently received a result of +14 for adjustment. Started shooting again with the same settings and had a higher hit rate. However, I was still not consistently spot on.

For comparison, I have had a much higher hit rate with the 35L (easily into the 90% range). To be fair, the L also needed a +11 adjustment according to FoCal. To take it one step further, I have even had more consistent results with the 50L (after a +7 AFMA as well) wide open which is known to give a lot of people problems with regard to hit rate consistency. Yes, I am fully aware that shooting with fast primes can be difficult due to shallow DOF. But I have not experienced as significant of an issue shooting wide open with my 24, 35, 50, 85 or the 135 which leads me to believe there is a good chance I have received a lemon.

Again, when it hits, the S35 is a thing of beauty. Just need to figure out what I need to do to make it happen all the time. Going to give it a few more days of shooting before deciding what to do.....

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:15 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.33 #19 · p.33 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I agree that when it hits the images are amazing. With the 5Dii and the lens, when you hit focus, the detail even at 100% view is simply amazing. Even at 200% you still see detail, though at that point the pixels come into play. But, hitting focus shouldn't be such an issue, especially in outdoor light or with static objects, and it certainly shouldn't be so hard to focus at different distances.

Then again, maybe I do need to learn how to push a button.

Mar 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Gehjl
• •
p.33 #20 · p.33 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Sorry to hear you guys are having trouble with the lens. I think I may have gotten lucky with my Sigma lottery, spot on focus on my 5D. Worried me since there is no MA on the 5Dc, but I figured if it was off badly I was going to send it in to sigma.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:13 PM
1       2       3              32      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              32      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.