FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              31      
       33              40       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

supermario343
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.32 #1 · p.32 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I dont use any film filters on my shots, all I've done is play with curves in photoshop. Everything else is the same how it came out of the camera.

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why over half the sample shots posted have either had the "clarity" slider overly increased or a film filter applied to them?

I thought the whole point of seeing sample shots for a relatively new lens was so that people could see what kinds of images are being made with it prior to post-processing the shiza out of it.

I suppose it's just me. But based on the compliments of how great the sample shots look from other users, I feel like they are all being duped as those images are all clearly heavily processed
...Show more

Mar 06, 2013 at 08:55 PM
KibblesNbitz
• • •
p.32 #2 · p.32 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Can someone please explain to me why over half the sample shots posted have either had the "clarity" slider overly increased or a film filter applied to them?

I thought the whole point of seeing sample shots for a relatively new lens was so that people could see what kinds of images are being made with it prior to post-processing the shiza out of it.

I suppose it's just me. But based on the compliments of how great the sample shots look from other users, I feel like they are all being duped as those images are all clearly heavily processed
...Show more

I'd rather see real world shots that have been post processed, as it gives an accurate depiction of what to expect. I don't know about you, but I end up post processing all my RAW files, and I never just leave them as they came straight out of the camera. I think bwhips's photos were great at representing what the lens is capable of, and I think the shots are simply amazing, and genuinely great work. If you want/demand to see SOOC images, try checking out the yawn-inducing brick wall style shots of a review like cameralab's style....

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.32 #3 · p.32 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

If not doing any PP, the pics will still look very different depending on what camera you used. Sharpness, resolution and other things are so different depending on what body you used.
And when shooting in RAW, you must do some PP when converting the pics for the web. It's not like the software just convert the file to jpg without changing anything

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:38 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.32 #4 · p.32 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:

...Show more

There are plenty of shots int his thread, if you don't like a particular set. Why so antagonistic?

Mar 06, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.32 #5 · p.32 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

galenapass wrote:
There are plenty of shots int his thread, if you don't like a particular set. Why so antagonistic?

Because he don't like all the praise the Sigma 35 is getting He joined FM today just to make this post........

Mar 06, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.32 #6 · p.32 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Joining to ask a question is okay - that's what forums are for. He may be genuinely interested in the lens yet is disconcerted by what he's seeing. And that's fair enough I say.

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.32 #7 · p.32 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Paul Mo wrote:
Joining to ask a question is okay - that's what forums are for. He may be genuinely interested in the lens yet is disconcerted by what he's seeing. And that's fair enough I say.

Yes joining to ask a question is ok. But joining today and in the first and only post here at FM say this about the members supermario343 and bwhip62:
" I feel like they are all being duped as those images are all clearly heavily processed and not real/accurate representations of how the lens truly renders

that's a different thing. And one of those members have already replied he was wrong in his statement about "film filter applied" or "all have heavy-handed clarity boost"
There are also many many other pics in this thread he can look at if he didn't like those. It's a 32 page thread with hundreds of pics. Agree with the poster before "Why so antagonistic"

Mar 07, 2013 at 02:46 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.32 #8 · p.32 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Looked at pages 1-4 and saw nothing in the way of sample images. Internet at work is not the best. So I skipped to the last two pages assuming there would have certainly been some by then. My apologies for not being able to be throrough with looking through the pages in between for other images.

Yes, I did join yesterday because I am genuinely trying to figure out whether to swap out my 35L. My apologies for coming off as being antagonistic.

I am simply discontent with seeing clearly processed images when I am looking for real world images out of camera from actual users. To respond to all who think looking at additionally PP'd images as being a good sampling to display the properties of a lens, I say, to each his own. However, by that same line of reasoning, would it be a good representation of a lens for me to post a bunch of HDR, tone mapping, use of various Nik tools or images run through VSCO and the like?

I was simply wanting to say that I would prefer to see what a lens can do as I already know full well what I can do in PP. Not interested in seeing PP prowess when I am looking in a thread about a relatively new lens.

And yes, I understand that there is some PP inherent in conversion from RAW to JPG. However, there is just simply converting, and then there is additional editing. I don't consider those to be one and the same.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:05 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.32 #9 · p.32 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Just speaking from the point of view of someone who would love to see more right out of the camera shots to help make a decision on whether to swap lenses.
Only a fool would consider swapping glass based on viewing web sized images...
regardless of whether they were heavily PP'd or posted SOOC. Rent/borrow, just sayin'

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:18 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.32 #10 · p.32 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Then a fool I am since there are really no other alternatives for me to see images at this point since I don't personally know anyone that owns the lens.

Mar 07, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.32 #11 · p.32 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Then a fool I am since there are really no other alternatives for me to see images at this point since I don't personally know anyone that owns the lens.

There are many different websites or Photo magazine that test lenses. And also show pics from them. This lens have had reviews and tests with many pics at more than ten well-known websites. And a lot more if you look in magazines also. And if you are really interested I'm sure there is a photo shop that you could try a few lenses in also.

Mar 08, 2013 at 03:22 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.32 #12 · p.32 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Again, I stated that I wanted to see SOOC from actual day to day users of the lens and not from a magazine or other test site. While there are reviews out there, the amount of images posted within them weren't enough to suffice to make a convincing argument (to me at least). Lastly, my options within 110 miles of here are one actual dedicated camera shop (who only carries Canon), best buy, and various pawn shops. Any more ideas? So yes, I really am interested in seeing more user images. Yes, I would love to see them in here as there seems to be at least a few people in this thread that actually own it.

Mar 08, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.32 #13 · p.32 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

John -- I sympathize with your feeling about what you consider over-processed images that aren't representative of the camera/lens output. This is a complaint I have with a lot of Alt claims for Zeiss and Leica lenses. You buy the lens and it looks nothing like the manipulated images shown, unless you follow a certain PP regimen. (I'm not saying they aren't great lenses! Just not to the degree of some hyper-enthusiasts. )

As Trench says, the only way to know for sure is trying the gear yourself.

I suggest taking the plunge and getting the lens to do A-B comparison against your 35L. You can sell one or the other when you are done, or keep both!

The big plus is that you have a number of reputable photographers that are endorsing the Sigma lens results. That in itself is a strong positive. I don't see anyone bashing the lens (some percentage having focus problems), and provided it has the features you want, it should be a no-brainer.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Mar 08, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Gehjl
• •
p.32 #14 · p.32 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

John here's a SOOC test shot when I was seeing how the lens focuses at 1.4, focus was on the "4". No sliders were touched in lightroom and the sharpening slider was at 0. I know it's not a special image, but if you want real life examples OOC, I shot a birthday party with it recently and I can post some unedited ones when I get home from work, all I have available is edited ones. Overall, I love this lens.

untitled-3903 by Acioara, on Flickr

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:11 AM
zlatko
• •
p.32 #15 · p.32 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

bwhip62 wrote:
Had a little dusting of snow here last night, so decided to take a little walk in the foothills with Mrs. Whip and the pups this morning (with the 5d3 and Sigma 35 around my neck)...

The dog photos are quite wonderful! Of course, I'm curious -- is there any post-processing on these?

Mar 08, 2013 at 12:27 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.32 #16 · p.32 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Thank you, Gunzorro for being one of the few to have been constructive. Have thought about just picking it up and doing as you've suggested. Just don't want to start a 35mm collection and fall into the same problem I currently have with the 50mm FL (2 in the bag and 6 hidden in the closet from the wife). Also don't really know what I would get on the used market locally and do not want to deal with selling through other avenues.

Thanks, Gehjl for the post. It is greatly appreciated. Definitely looking forward to seeing the party shots.

Mar 08, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.32 #17 · p.32 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Thank you, Gunzorro for being one of the few to have been constructive. Have thought about just picking it up and doing as you've suggested. Just don't want to start a 35mm collection and fall into the same problem I currently have with the 50mm FL (2 in the bag and 6 hidden in the closet from the wife). Also don't really know what I would get on the used market locally and do not want to deal with selling through other avenues.

Thanks, Gehjl for the post. It is greatly appreciated. Definitely looking forward to seeing the party shots.

Bakersfield isn't the end of the world (well, not exactly! ) There always eBay and Craig's List.

Sounds like you should be off-loading a few of those 50s! eBay is pretty good at bidding to the proper price on lenses.

I have two 35mm primes right now (plus six FF zooms covering 35mm!), and am still looking for "One Lens To Rule Them All" -- might be Sigma or the new Canon IS.

Good luck with your quest.

Mar 08, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Gehjl
• •
p.32 #18 · p.32 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

JohnDizzo15 wrote:

Hopefully these will help, SOOC, only correction for some are exposures....can't get it always right in camera

Mar 08, 2013 at 06:21 PM
supermario343
• • •
p.32 #19 · p.32 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Here's one out of the camera...just adjusted white balance.

fishy smell by mariosworld343, on Flickr

Mar 08, 2013 at 08:43 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.32 #20 · p.32 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Thanks, supermario343.

In the end, I have to admit that the only way to truly satisfy my curiosity is to just bite the bullet and get one.

BH Order placed. Itch scratched. Hoping it will be all it is supposed to be.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.