Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              18      
       20              40       41       end

Archive 2012 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Ernie Aubert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.19 #1 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Here are samples of the same scene with three lenses @ 35mm & f2.8:
1) Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8
2) Sigma 35mm 1:1.4 DG
3) Zeiss Distagon 2/35 ZE
First the full 5D III frames (the lenses are identified in text), then, in the same lens sequence, 100% crops from two different areas, one somewhat off center and the other near a corner.

I opened the CR2s in PS6 (ACR) and did nothing except save as TIFFs. Then I opened each TIFF, resized it to 900x600, and saved that as a JPEG. Then I undid the resize, cropped two areas, and saved those crops as JPEGs.

Edit: With the two AF lenses, I used center point focus; looking at the tire from the Zeiss makes me wonder if I might perhaps have gotten the focus a little different...

1 full frame from Tamron

2 full frame from Sigma

3 full frame from Zeiss

4 off-center crop from Tamron

5 off-center crop from Sigma

6 off-center crop from Zeiss

7 near corner crop from Tamron

8 near corner crop from Sigma

9 near corner crop from Zeiss

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.19 #2 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Tammy does very well considering it's wide open and the others are stopped down at least 1 stop.

Dec 10, 2012 at 09:50 PM
tbkphotoco

Upload & Sell: Off
p.19 #3 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Bokeh is smoother on the Canon 35L. About the only advantage. More "nervous" on the Sigma.

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:20 PM
idsurfer

p.19 #4 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Scarey sharp at 1.8

Dec 11, 2012 at 01:23 PM
tbkphotoco

p.19 #5 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Damn, that's razor sharp

Dec 11, 2012 at 02:03 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.19 #6 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I haven't read all 19 pages, but can anyone tell me what the autofocus tracking is like with this lens? I have a 35L but am considering getting this lens for my 2nd shooters to use at weddings, but I need AI Servo to work well with it.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:09 PM
tbkphotoco

p.19 #7 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

From what I've read from a user who uses AI-Servo exclusively is that it works very well

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:23 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.19 #8 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Will Patterson wrote:
I haven't read all 19 pages, but can anyone tell me what the autofocus tracking is like with this lens? I have a 35L but am considering getting this lens for my 2nd shooters to use at weddings, but I need AI Servo to work well with it.

This would be my concern as well...more specifically low light AF.

Dec 11, 2012 at 03:34 PM
idsurfer

p.19 #9 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Low light AF has been outstanding if you have any contrast at all. I have been using it combined with flash/softbox around the house in very low light conditions with good results. You can check my flickr for a few shots. It is clear which ones they are.

I am reluctant to say anything about the use of AI servo with this lens as my VERY limited trial with it has not been as successful as my canon lenses have been with very fast moving targets. Think dogs running right at you or kids on swings. It has worked, but not as well as the canon lenses...yet! I use a 5D3. So I don't want to start too much chitter chatter about this issue. I guess it is fair to say that I am still on the fence with AI servo and the siggy 35 until further testing.

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:15 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.19 #10 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

What all these pictures show to me in the first place, is how much I love 35mm, no matter what brand. 35mm EOSfun is classic EOSfun

Dec 11, 2012 at 04:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mco_970
• • • • •
p.19 #11 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

That is just a cool photo with the kid and the chips!

Dec 11, 2012 at 05:58 PM
nguyenhm16
• •
p.19 #12 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

I pre-ordered one, and am peeved that the Nikon mount version is not in stock at B&H as stated

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:00 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.19 #13 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

idsurfer wrote:
Low light AF has been outstanding if you have any contrast at all. I have been using it combined with flash/softbox around the house in very low light conditions with good results. You can check my flickr for a few shots. It is clear which ones they are.

I am reluctant to say anything about the use of AI servo with this lens as my VERY limited trial with it has not been as successful as my canon lenses have been with very fast moving targets. Think dogs running right at you or kids on swings. It has worked, but
...Show more

Thanks for sharing the images and I appreciate your candor about the Sigma handling AI Servo .

Dec 11, 2012 at 06:04 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.19 #14 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

mco_970 wrote:
That is just a cool photo with the kid and the chips!

Very sharp.

But wow that's a big bag of corn chips. I can't believe they make them that large. Might explain a few things about the average American physique.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM
nguyenhm16
• •
p.19 #15 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Very sharp.

But wow that's a big bag of corn chips. I can't believe they make them that large. Might explain a few things about the average American physique.

Not to get off topic but that bag is mostly air to keep the chips from being crushed. Plus it's from a warehouse store so you gotta assume that it's sold in mass quantities

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:02 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.19 #16 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

nguyenhm16 wrote:
Not to get off topic but that bag is mostly air to keep the chips from being crushed. Plus it's from a warehouse store so you gotta assume that it's sold in mass quantities

It says 2lb or roughly 900g, that's nearly 3x the size of the corn chip packets sold down under. I still bet it costs a lot less than our much smaller packet though.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM
idsurfer

p.19 #17 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Ha Ha!! Way off topic, but that's why I took the shot....That bag was freakin' HUGE!! It was the biggest one I have ever seen....and yes from Costco where you have to buy like 9 pounds of cheese at a time! Fortunately, we are raising our children to be very active sports/outdoor enthusiasts.

To get back on topic, here is a shot with the siggy 35 @ 1.6 with OCF in very low light conditions. It locked with no troubles.

Subject: My wife, one of the top swim coach/instructors in Idaho (with our son)

And for fun, our 7 year old daughter preparing to crush the competition last summer and go on to rank 7th in the nation in backstroke for 6-8 year olds. She's may break all records next year!! 135L...sorry...

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.19 #18 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Those are great shots and this is from someone that usually has no interest in people shots. Looks like you kids and wife are very fit.

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:36 PM
idsurfer

p.19 #19 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Those are great shots and this is from someone that usually has no interest in people shots. Looks like you kids and wife are very fit.

Thanks...I don't do too bad myself!!

Dec 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM
idsurfer

p.19 #20 · Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM first impressions

AGeoJO wrote:
Thanks for sharing the images and I appreciate your candor about the Sigma handling AI Servo .

Well, I 'm back to report that just as of about 5 minutes ago I was very pleasantly surprised by the performance of this siggy 35 and AI servo. The light right now is terrible. It is near dusk and overcast. I used the 5D3 + siggy 35 @ 1.8 in Av mode, ISO 1600, AI Servo, single point AF, both single shot and slow burst continuous and was getting SS's between 1/500 and 1/1250 with many between 1/500 and 1/640th. I took 52 photos of the 7 year old in the photo above. I asked her to start running straight at me and then pass directly by me anywhere from approx. 1.5 to 3 meters out. I was very careful to keep the AF point on her head but not successful 100% of the time. Out of the 52 shots, I would say 75% of them were dead on. That leaves 25% OOF d/t either user error or AF error. Bottom line.....I'm sold. I think given even half way decent light and some skill, any owner of a camera with a killer AF system such as the 5D3 will be very happy with the performance of the sigma 35 1.4 and AI servo. I have to say that if anyone is on the fence about this lens and is in the market for a 35mm prime, this is one to seriously consider.

I will not bore you or take up bandwidth with the test shots.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password