Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D800 vs D3s

whmeltonjr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 vs D3s

So I have a predicament, which isn't a bad one to have I suppose. I picked up a D3s this morning and now I'm not sure which camera to keep. My main area of interest is street photography, but I do candids and some landscapes as well. The majority of my candid shots are indoors, so the D3s obviously has the advantage there. I don't print anything bigger than 8x10, so I'm not sure I need the 36mp of the D800. I do like the dynamic range of the D800 though. So I guess the question is, based one what I shoot, what would be the better camera for my needs? I'm going to do an engagement shoot for some friends on Friday, and I'll be using the D3s to see how it does.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:32 PM
Kell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 vs D3s

"I don't print anything bigger than 8x10"

there's your answer

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 vs D3s

Would like to hear the answer to this as well...

I'd like the better ergonomics, non-green LCD, working LH AF point & higher noise-free ISO the D3s has.

But buying a new D800 for $3k vs. a used D3s for $3,500 to $4,300 is a plus for the D800.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:41 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 vs D3s

Up to ISO 12,800 the D800 is the best overall camera for IQ. If you don't shoot above that or need the unique features of the D3s (FPS, buffer depth, integrated grip, smaller files) then the D800 is your camera.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:47 PM
Erik Moore
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 vs D3s

whmeltonjr wrote:
So I have a predicament, which isn't a bad one to have I suppose. I picked up a D3s this morning and now I'm not sure which camera to keep. My main area of interest is street photography, but I do candids and some landscapes as well. The majority of my candid shots are indoors, so the D3s obviously has the advantage there. I don't print anything bigger than 8x10, so I'm not sure I need the 36mp of the D800. I do like the dynamic range of the D800 though. So I guess the question is, based one what
...Show more

Two things to consider: for street photography, the D800 is the winner. Smaller is better.

The other thing, with regarding the high ISO noise performance of each: you might find that, at the resolutions you're printing at, for practical purposes, the higher noise in the D800 files at a given ISO aren't really a factor at all.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:48 PM
ADCOLE
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 vs D3s

Perhaps maybe a D600 would fit your needs?

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:39 PM
whmeltonjr

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 vs D3s

ADCOLE wrote:
Perhaps maybe a D600 would fit your needs?

A D600 doesn't make any sense because then I have to sell both cameras and buy another one. Plus I hate the ergonomics of the D600.

I think I'll do some testing Friday and make up my mind that way. Some good points in the thread so far.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:58 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 vs D3s

Owned them both. Both are nice cameras. The D800 was a little too cramped for my liking and the file size slowed down my workflow, but I adjusted to these problems. You will find things you like in both cameras and you too will adjust to the camera you buy, I moved on to the D4 and I'm very happy.

Best of both worlds would be keep both cameras. Just remember, what we shoot today may not be what we shoot tomorrow. Changing photographic interest is a good way to get out of photo ruts.

Tough decision, hope you are happy with your final decision.

Jim

Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 08:19 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:05 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 vs D3s

James R wrote:
Owned them both. Both are nice cameras. The D800 was a little too cramped for my liking and the file size slowed down my workflow, but I adjusted to these problems. You will find things you like in both cameras and you too will adjust to the camera you buy, I moved on to the D4 and I'm vary happy.

Best of both worlds would be keep both cameras. Just remember, what we shoot today may not be what we shoot tomorrow. Changing photographic interest is a good way to get out of photo ruts.

Tough decision, hope
...Show more

Yep. Which is why I own both the D800 and D3s. Neither camera replaces the other. Best of both worlds.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:10 PM
whmeltonjr

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 vs D3s

I would love to own both, unfortunately that's not an option. This is just a hobby for me. The ergonomics and file size of the D3s are certainly advantageous, but I can handle the D800 in both regards.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Thom

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 vs D3s

I own both and am only letting the D3s go to upgrade to the D4. To reiterate others ... they are two different beasts. If I had to pick one it would be the D800 due to size only. It's simply easier to pack and carry, but I would miss the pro body for times when size did not matter. For street photography I would think the D800 much easier to handle.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 vs D3s

D3S or D4 no questions asked. If you want smaller, than the smaller body.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:41 PM
whmeltonjr

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 vs D3s

Size is not a concern to me really.

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:46 PM
chip_master

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 vs D3s

whmeltonjr wrote:
Size is not a concern to me really.

Sell them both and get a D4 I've seen a few here for sale for some pretty cheap prices. I guess a few rich people buy and dump... I personally find the D4 if you can live with the larger body the best, D600 with 24Meg is really nice for those that need more pixels. Frankly D800 is kind of like a Suburban or M/AMG/S4 much more car/camera than 99% of people need but buy to have the best...

Nov 22, 2012 at 04:14 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 vs D3s

I had the same dilemma, ended up with a D3s. I never really understood the size argument, its not like we're carrying cinderblocks here. To me, the ergonomics and handling of the D3s/pro bodies are absolutely perfect and the best possible. I wouldn't mind using the D800, but I wish the D800 came in a pro (full size) body. Now that I've experienced it, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming away from pro body ergonomics. I'm even willing to pay more for it.

There's just something special about the way a D3s or D4 fits in the hand. Using a gripped D800/D700/D600/etc. just isn't the same...

Nov 22, 2012 at 04:33 AM
colincarter46
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 vs D3s

KibblesNbitz wrote:
I had the same dilemma, ended up with a D3s. I never really understood the size argument, its not like we're carrying cinderblocks here. To me, the ergonomics and handling of the D3s/pro bodies are absolutely perfect and the best possible. I wouldn't mind using the D800, but I wish the D800 came in a pro (full size) body. Now that I've experienced it, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming away from pro body ergonomics. I'm even willing to pay more for it.

There's just something special about the way a D3s or D4 fits in the hand. Using
...Show more

there is just something special about the D800 files, the D3s and D4 just arnt the same.

Ill take image quality over slightly better ergonomics every day of the week. Ergomonics are subjective anyway and the Gripped D800 feels very similar to my D3, IQ however isnt, its plain to see.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 vs D3s

Regarding the D800 DR. If you are at ISO 1600 or above most of the time, the D3s is the same or better (chart here, or see dxomark).

For me, I would lean towards the D800 for the body size alone (otherwise the D3s), but as yourself and others have commented that may not be a consideration depending on the photographer. So in the balance reading all your comments my vote would be the D3s.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM
ash4390
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 vs D3s

I had the same question.. I used both

That being said, I'm selling the D3s and waiting for a decently priced D4.

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:22 PM
zesto
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 vs D3s

Found the D800 hard to get used to after using my D3 for four years. However, once I adjusted to the D800 I now much prefer it over the D3 and the IQ is amazing.

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:48 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 vs D3s

My preference is to use the D800 unless the shot requires high ISO while data retention is needed in poorly lit or dark subjects. The D800 loses its resolution advantage as the details get buried in noise, and the D3s retains more usable DR at high ISO.

Someone mentioned the size advantage of the D800 for street photography. Just a guess, but I'd say that it's better because it is less conspicuous. That will depend somewhat on what lens you use.

If you use live view then I think the D800 wins because it doesn't operate the mirror so much when shooting, causing less vibration. However, if you need to underexpose for whatever reason then the D800 LV image will look darker on the screen, which is a nuisance.

I'm definitely keeping my D3s as well as the D800 but my D700 will go because it has neither the D3s advantages nor the D800 advantages. One day I night get a D5 to replace the D3s but I'll skip the D4.

- Alan

Nov 24, 2012 at 04:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password