Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contributio...

igmolinav
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

Hi,

This thread was not intentional to talk a bit about tilt and shift lenses!

I was looking for a medium format camera on the internet. I wanted
to know what had happened to the Rolleiflex 600X series. A model,
the 6008 integral, was a camera model I was always interested to
use and know more! Unfortunately, until now, I have only seen it,
and not used it!

My internet search, led me to the British Journal of Photography, (BJP).
In this issue, they talk about six or seven different tilt and shift lenses:
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/technical-report/2082054/technical-perspective-tilt-shift-lenses

Those lenses must be great and very expensive! I remember
that not so long ago someone recommended me the MIREX
adapter. When I have enough money, I think I'll buy this
adapter. I could turn two Hasselblad lenses I own, an 80 and a 120 mm.,
into tilt and shift lenses. It costs some 600€ and the adapter can be used
with different some, but not all brands of lenses. Here is a link to
the MIREX webpage:
http://www.mirex-adapter.de/index.htm

As mentioned, the MIREX, may work with some, but not all lenses!
Specifically, it will work with some brands of medium format lenses!
The MIREX has a t-Mount that I don't know if the t-mount is compati-
ble with Canon, Nikon, or other camera brand names.
Anybody knows which camera systems are compatible with the t-Mount ??

I saw this video! The photographer is using a very nice Schneider
lens with a Phase One digital medium format camera. To be honest,
I don't fully understand the use or the need for a tilt and shift
lens or adapter for longer focal lengths. Could anyone please
tell me which are the reasons why would I want use such lens or
adapter? I know a tilt and shift lens with wide focal lengths will be
used to correct perspective, but for longer focal lengths, wofür??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ztSd9_TJ6o

I also liked this video. Shot without a tilt and shift lenses. I wouldn't
like to be a model when it is cold:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK1pcAf29L8

Well, I wish you a very nice day : ) !!!

By the way, these are the links I found for the Rolleiflex.
A camera that I think is fantastic : ) !!! (One can adapt to it
digital back)

Link 1. BJP Article:
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/1740760/franke-heideckes-ashes-rises-dhw-fototechnik

Link 2. Factory website:
http://www.dhw-fototechnik.de/zubehoer/rolleiflex-slr.html

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:19 PM
AhamB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

igmolinav wrote:
To be honest, I don't fully understand the use or the need for a tilt and shift
lens or adapter for longer focal lengths. Could anyone please tell me which are the reasons why would I want use such lens or adapter? I know a tilt and shift lens with wide focal lengths will be used to correct perspective, but for longer focal lengths, wofür?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ztSd9_TJ6o

The reason is simple: you can use tilt to maximize the DOF for your subject in close-up shots. This eliminates the need to stop down a lot. For example, if you want to make a shot of a plate of food at an angle, it's difficult to get enough DOF but with tilt you can place the focal plane on the plate. For the same reason tilt/shift macro bellows exist and also things like this: http://www.zoerk.com/pages/p_mfs.htm

Canon and Nikon resp. have their 90/2.8 and 85/2.8 T/S lenses that I believe are often used for product shots. For medium format you'll see slightly longer focal lengths (like this Schneider 120mm).

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

I use tilt on a Mirex with the Mamiya A 150/2.8 to take oblique photos of the floor/ground - works great and I couldn't get the effect without the tilt.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:05 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #4 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

igmolinav, that first link is excellent.

Re 'long' lenses and tilt, tilt allows you control of the focal plane and this is as important in a long lens as with shorter/wider lenses. My most used alt lens is a Mamiya 120 A with the Mirex, essentially for product shots.

Shift tends to be used with shorter/wider lenses for perspective control (eg.straightening buildings) but tilt tends to be used with any focal length for focal plane control.

This pic is an example of tilt used on a long lens, shot with the Schneider 135/5.6 componon-s. Withough tilt only part of the front of the lens would be in focus but as tilt has been used the focal plane matches the angle of the lens so the entire lens is in focus despite the shallow depth of field.

Re T mount (or T2 which is effectively the same), that is M42x0.75 (not to be confused with M42 which is M42x1.0) and adapters are available for a large range of cameras. It was treated as a generic mount and used for everything from microscopes to telescopes over the last 30 or 40 years. I have no idea if there is a register associated with it but adapters are all over ebay. I have one for a Nikon mount which I use with a Schneider 135/5.6 componon-s enlarging lens on a Nikon PB-4 T/S bellows (used for the above pic). The rear mount on the lens is actually M42x0.75 ie T mount or T2.

Nov 21, 2012 at 09:03 PM
igmolinav
• •
p.1 #5 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

@AhamB - I think I understood quite a bit of what you mention. I must also say that I haven't done any tilting and shifting myself, so everything still sounds a bit too foreign to me! It is quite unbelievable for me to use or start using something different to the lens' diaphragm to start giving more DOF to an image. I'll try to learn more about it!

@jcolwell - I use tilt on a Mirex with the Mamiya A 150/2.8 to take oblique photos of the floor/ground - works great and I couldn't get the effect without the tilt.
It is interesting what you say, but are you photographing tiles on the floor, or also a product on the floor? It would be interesting to see a picture!

@JohnJ - igmolinav, that first link is excellent. I am glad you liked the link : ) !!!

Shift tends to be used with shorter/wider lenses for perspective control (eg.straightenening buildings) but tilt tends to be used with any focal length for focal plane control.
That is interesting, now that you mention it, I think there was a shooting angle or inclination I always avoided using with my 120 mm. makro lens. At this particular angle or inclination, the 'ovalness' of the food plate was way dramatized or overemphasized. It didn't look anymore like a plate, but more like a(n American) football ball. It looked way awkward! In order to fix this I had to change the angle/inclination and the distance of the object to the camera! I wonder if tilting with the MIREX adapter would help to diminish the 'ovalnes' at certain angles or inclinations.

This pic is an example of tilt used on a long lens, shot with the Schneider 135/5.6 componon-s. Withough tilt only part of the front of the lens would be in focus but as tilt has been used the focal plane matches the angle of the lens so the entire lens is in focus despite the shallow depth of field. I think I understand the use of this a bit more: one tilts so one can focus as parallel to the plane, so that everything gets in focus, like in the picture of the lens you provided! Is it correct what I have written?

I have one for a Nikon mount which I use with a Schneider 135/5.6 componon-s enlarging lens on a Nikon PB-4 T/S bellows (used for the above pic). The rear mount on the lens is actually M42x0.75 ie T mount or T2. I find very interesting that the 135 mm. Schneider lens you are using is an enlarger's lens! I have an 80 mm. enlarging lens! One could perhaps attach it to a camera if it has a t-Mount!

Thank you again, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:32 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #6 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

igmolinav wrote:
...I think I understand the use of this a bit more: one tilts so one can focus as parallel to the plane, so that everything gets in focus, like in the picture of the lens you provided! Is it correct what I have written?

Yes
igmolinav wrote:
... I have an 80 mm. enlarging lens! One could perhaps attach it to a camera if it has a t-Mount!

Yes you probably can but it may have nothing to do with a T mount adapter. Have a look at T mount adapters on Ebay (just search for T mount adapter). You'll see that they are a simple adapter, like an M42. Your 80mm lens is probably not the same mount anyway but whatever it is (possibly M39) then you need the appropriate adapter as well as a helicoid or bellows, but that's a whole different thing to the t/s adapters and applications discussed above and is getting off topic.

The above is an example of how you can use enlarging lenses on a DSLR (Meopta Meogon 80/2.8 in the above example).

Nov 22, 2012 at 03:35 AM
rico
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

JohnJ wrote:
Re T mount (or T2 which is effectively the same), that is M42x0.75 (not to be confused with M42 which is M42x1.0) and adapters are available for a large range of cameras. It was treated as a generic mount and used for everything from microscopes to telescopes over the last 30 or 40 years. I have no idea if there is a register associated with it but adapters are all over ebay. I have one for a Nikon mount which I use with a Schneider 135/5.6 componon-s enlarging lens on a Nikon PB-4 T/S bellows (used for the above pic).

Helpful post, John. I use a similar configuration: CZ S-Panar 100/4 on Contax bellows. This unit, like the PB-4, has swing on the front standard, and the lens FL is ideal for tabletop. Object focal plane in both images below is pretty far out of whack.

Nov 22, 2012 at 07:18 AM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #8 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

rico wrote:
..Helpful post, John. I use a similar configuration: CZ S-Panar 100/4 on Contax bellows. This unit, like the PB-4, has swing on the front standard, and the lens FL is ideal for tabletop. Object focal plane in both images below is pretty far out of whack.

Ta. Love the watch image.

Nov 22, 2012 at 09:55 AM
igmolinav
• •
p.1 #9 · Tilt and shift lenses (or adapters) - A small contribution : ) !!!

Hi,

Thank you again for your posts : ) !!! Very interesting !!!

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password