Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

rk-d
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

I am testing out my new 5D3 - I have a couple weeks left on my return window and I shot a few random shots with a 35L today. I noticed some shadow banding at ISO 6400.

This is an OOC JPEG. Note the banding in the shadows. I need to know if I should exchange the camera, or if this others have similar results at >ISO 6400. I rarely if ever shoot in these conditions (single light source, dark room, high ISO), so avoiding the problem is not a big deal. That said, if this is abnormal, I need to exchange the camera.

Thanks in advance

This is just a random pic - nothing special

Here's a link to the full size pic

Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 06:40 AM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:26 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

I would say for 6400 ISO that's fantastic.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:38 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Some selective NR for the low mids and shadows would clean that right up (I do it all the time). The thing is, you often see high ISO images in ice rinks and football fields under fairly even lighting, so apparent noise is very low. Try ISO 6400 on the twilight sky with lots of clouds and the noise is even worse...

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:45 AM
raydee

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Tungsten low light shots easily over exaggerate red channel noise, especially <= Zone 4

Nov 21, 2012 at 08:55 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

You are kidding are you?
So what level of EOSfun are we expecting today? This is 6400, this is abnormal banding behavior. It's abnormal low. Do as Peter says: apply some selective noise reduction if you wish. To me the girls eyes attract all of the attention, so the noise doesn't bother me at all. Be happy with the 5D mk III no need to worry, just have EOSfun

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM
MayaTlab

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Im' not exactly sure it's "abnormally low". I've never (ever) seen any banding I could notice on my 5D III at 6400 ISO, raw or jpegs, in any kind of light. I've seen plenty of it at low ISOs, but not at 6400 ISO.

Were you able to reproduce this sort of vague banding in other circumstances ? Did you have vignetting correction ON (again, I haven't, even pushed, been able to get my 5DIII's raw pictures at high ISO to show banding, but perhaps the jpeg engine could be prone to banding when lifting shadows as part of the vignetting correction setting - something I haven't personally tested). Also, did you have HTP ON ?

Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

eosfun wrote:
You are kidding are you?
So what level of EOSfun are we expecting today? This is 6400, this is abnormal banding behavior. It's abnormal low. Do as Peter says: apply some selective noise reduction if you wish. To me the girls eyes attract all of the attention, so the noise doesn't bother me at all. Be happy with the 5D mk III no need to worry, just have EOSfun

+ 100

Edit:
I do not own a 5D III, so I can not say it is normal. Compared to my 5D II at ISO 6.400 the "banding" is near nothing. And this few imo can be eliminated easily in post.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Keep it

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

I'm pretty sure a 1DX or a D4 would exhibit CHROMINANCE noise under the same circumstances and the same settings, all be it a touch less. Shoot RAW and ACR or LR will remove almost of this by default with little or no loss of IQ.

Edited on Nov 21, 2012 at 01:16 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Dude, seriously, it's fine, don't worry, keep it and keep using it.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rk-d
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Thanks for the feedback thus far. BTW - I have no interest in making this some sort of bash thread about the 5d3 - I love the camera. Big improvement over my 5D2 and just killer with the 35L. I just want to make sure these results are what others have seen with this camera. This was a peculiar and challenging lighting situation, so I can't say I'm surprised the shadow noise is not pristine.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Ralph Conway wrote:
+ 100

Edit:
I do not own a 5D III, so I can not say it is normal. Compared to my 5D II at ISO 6.400 the "banding" is near nothing. And this few imo can be eliminated easily in post.

Agreed. Seeing this image of the 5D III at ISO 6400, I also admit that it is better than ISO 6400 in the 5D II. I rarely use high ISO numbers like this, but in cases where I used ISO 6400, I saw much more noise and some banding in dark red areas on the 5D II.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:15 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

rk-d wrote:
Thanks for the feedback thus far. BTW - I have no interest in making this some sort of bash thread about the 5d3 - I love the camera. Big improvement over my 5D2 and just killer with the 35L. I just want to make sure these results are what others have seen with this camera. This was a peculiar and challenging lighting situation, so I can't say I'm surprised the shadow noise is not pristine.

Flash FTW! but in seriousness I think it's completely normal and pretty decent for ISO 6400. I hardly ever use jpg so I mainly see SOOC RAW files and they're not much worse even without any noise reduction applied in PP. Enjoy the camera and I agree, its awesome with the 35L

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:27 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Regarding your post on the forum I agree with others that the image is very good.

I was actually able to improved the image with NIK Dfine2 to remove some of the noise and did a slight color balanced too for you. If you PM me your email and I'll be glad to send you the image.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:34 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

Photo looks fine. As mentioned you can process that noise in the background more. As a quick start I use unsharp masking then decide if I need to do more. I will use iso 8000-10,000 indoors and am tickled.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:58 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

dgdg wrote:
Photo looks fine. As mentioned you can process that noise in the background more. As a quick start I use unsharp masking then decide if I need to do more. I will use iso 8000-10,000 indoors and am tickled.

yep

i turn it to 12,800 regularly without fear

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:55 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

I see slight motion blurring, but the noise looks low and the IQ is exceptional.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:57 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

this is one of the greatest things about this camera

i can now shoot on the street at night with a max aperture f/4 lens and not have to worry about shutter speed, even without IS

it's no longer necessary to always be shooting at f/1.4 to squeak out 1/30 sec

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:02 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

That looks great, but if you are unhappy I am sure you will find several forum members willing to take this obviously "defective" camera off your hands. All kidding aside the 5diii files are very usable up to iso 12k and in pinch 25k depending on what size you are planning to print. If it is just for web use you could easily get away with even the expanded iso range.

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:01 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Is this normal banding behavior on 5d3? Please see pic...

I don't see any actual banding in that shot, at all. There's some blotchiness, but that's what Canon's (excellent) jpeg engine produces (and honestly isn't really a big deal, it's a trade off--do they remove more color info like adobe, or keep some more and yet risk the possible blotches).

Also remember that in that lighting, with the white balance necessary, color channels are being pushed around hard core, so it's really like you are shooting 12.8k ISO in sunlight (probably, just a guestimate).

SO yeah, that looks excellent. If you want it to look (maybe) better, try capture one 7's nr.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password