FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · G Lenses love film

huddy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · G Lenses love film

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Yeap. always interesting shooting in PDX. always a surprise. Will be trying my new d4 tomorrow if its dry

PDX is a street shooter's dream. So much more to see than the boring, lifeless hamlet that I live in.

Nov 25, 2012 at 11:36 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · G Lenses love film

I have an F100 just sitting there waiting to do a collaboration/double exposure roll for my end of the bargain sent to my from a lady in California (subject matter unknown-just underexpose one stop was her instructions).

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:19 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · G Lenses love film

williamkazak wrote:
I have an F100 just sitting there waiting to do a collaboration/double exposure roll for my end of the bargain sent to my from a lady in California (subject matter unknown-just underexpose one stop was her instructions).

That sounds interesting.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · G Lenses love film

shameless film thread hijack plug time.

If anybody in the Chicago area wants to process and print some black and white film themselves, or to learn how, this is the place to visit

www.chicagocommunitydarkroom.org

The free open house is nearly every Wednesday from 7-10pm. All sorts of fun things happen there such as bucket processing of motion picture film and direct positive 16x20 prints from pinhole cameras and lots and lots of 35mm and medium format work.

Nov 26, 2012 at 06:35 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · G Lenses love film

Alan - Great idea for a thread!!

I've gotten my 28/1.8 (only G lens I own) out on my F5 for a family wedding recently. Here are a couple shots. Tri-X 400, home processed (xtol 1:1) and scanned (V700).

Steph and Darko's Wedding -2 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

Steph and Darko's Wedding -1 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

Steph and Darko's Wedding -3 by Tony DeFilippo, on Flickr

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:36 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · G Lenses love film

nice work! Love the 28mm

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · G Lenses love film

Tony, as usual great stuff out of your hands! Thanks for sharing the film/developer-infos
Made me think about adding the 28G to my arsenal...

Dylan, love your street-shots! How does the F100 feels like (ergonomics, built quality, finder) compared to a D700?

Jorge, very nice set! The 85/1.4G is still a dream for me. Glad to see it works so well with film too ;-)

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:30 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · G Lenses love film

georgms wrote:
Dylan, love your street-shots! How does the F100 feels like (ergonomics, built quality, finder) compared to a D700?

Thanks Georg.

To me, the F100 feels better in my hand. The grip is deeper, the body thinner from front to back, it is a little shorter with grip vs D700 w/ grip. The D700 with grip feels a bit too large, the F100 is perfect. I only use it gripped, in fact I have lost the original battery door, so I have no other option. In practice this does not matter to me.

The only complaint I have with the F100 is that front and rear control wheels are plasticky and stiff, and don't feel nearly as nice. They feel more like the one on my old D50 than those of the D700. Because of this, I give the D700 the edge in terms of build. The viewfinders are similar, but after switching out the screen on my D700, I am hesitant to shoot MF lenses on my F100. I think I will swap its screen as well, I have a spare one from a F3 kicking around.

Dylan

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:25 PM
vpik01
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · G Lenses love film

Tony, as usual great stuff out of your hands! Thanks for sharing the film/developer-infos

Thanks Georg, coming from you that means alot! The 28G is a huge no brainer to me, so much so that I've been toying with selling off my 105/2 DC and getting the 85G even... crazy? I love the silent and accurate focusing and it's tack sharp.

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:32 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · G Lenses love film

Thanks Dylan! A fellow shooter was using a F100 for daily work back in the late 90's/early 2000's. I've handled it a few times back then and loved it, but had already a F5. Somehow this camera looks really good, just like a D700 ;-)

Tony, another question regarding the 28G - does it focus pretty fast on a decent camera? The 85/1.8G is not exactly a speed-king...

Nov 27, 2012 at 07:57 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · G Lenses love film

georgms wrote:

Jorge, very nice set! The 85/1.4G is still a dream for me. Glad to see it works so well with film too ;-)

Georg, I would echo Dylan's comments about the handling of an F100 vs. D700. I always tell myself that I will buy an F5, but I really don't need the extra heft and high speed shooting or long exposure options that are afforded by the F5, so my F100 stays with me.

As for the speed of the 28/1.8G, it is very fast. It blows my 85/1.8 out of the water on either the F100 or the D700. I haven't needed any manual adjustment for it on my D700 either.

Nov 29, 2012 at 03:57 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · G Lenses love film

Alan, thanks! I have way too much cameras already, but when I see a decent priced F100... we'll see
The 28G is ordered - thanks for sharing your impressions about the focusing speed. When I need AF, I need a fast and reliable AF, so that's an important point for me.
In the meantime - here's more waterfowl shot with the fat 200/2 VR. The ducks are nothing special, but I like the look of the waves here.

waves von georgsfoto auf Flickr
F5, expired HP5plus in Rodinal special, AF-S 200/2 VR, maybe with TC14E, sorry for the crappy scan

Nov 29, 2012 at 06:47 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · G Lenses love film

Georg, I agree, love the ripples in the water.

I've got a couple more with the 24-70...I forget the film, but I think it was expired kodak gold.

http://www.deeteeohbee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/img059-2.jpg

http://www.deeteeohbee.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/img013-2.jpg

Dec 01, 2012 at 01:34 PM
ChrisCoy
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · G Lenses love film

Since its mostly on topic... when you are using your G lenses, which flashes are y'all using?

I only have SB700's which dont support TTL on the F100.

Dec 01, 2012 at 09:57 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · G Lenses love film

ChrisCoy wrote:
Since its mostly on topic... when you are using your G lenses, which flashes are y'all using?

I only have SB700's which dont support TTL on the F100.

I don't use a flash really for my personal photography. And that's all I really post here, personal stuff.

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:22 PM
huddy
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · G Lenses love film

Chris,
When I use flashes for film work, it is manual YN560-II's which I've already checked with my lightmeter for strictly still shots. If I needed TTL, I'd pick up an SB-28 again.

Dec 01, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · G Lenses love film

SB80DX if I'm using an AF Nikon body.

I tend to use this flash with any non TTL camera. Auto Aperture mode is great.

If I need more light the sunpak or quantum get used.

Dec 02, 2012 at 08:41 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.