Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Mykal
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

No bracketing is not on. Same settings light does not change, focal length does not change and yet exposure differs by about 1 stop. Happens with different lens as well. Shooting raw. Any ideas what could cause this?

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:37 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Different focus point? Matrix metering is heavily weighted to what's under the active AF point.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:50 AM
workerdrone
• • •
p.1 #3 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

You're in M mode? Auto ISO off? No polarizer?

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #4 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Same focus point in manual mode, auto iso off and no filters.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:55 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #5 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Mykal wrote:
Same focus point in manual mode, auto iso off and no filters.

Are you shooting under fluorescent lighting? If you are, then the exposure will vary from shot to shot because of the cycling of the lights.

Try shooting a hockey game under that lighting and you'll have an exercise with frustration!

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #6 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

This is happening outside in normal daylight. No flash being used either.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:09 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Check if the aperture lever on the body is bent. You need to check it both from the front and the side.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:16 AM
Hardcore
• • •
p.1 #8 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Do you have dynamic highlight recovery or whatever that feature is called. Basically, it lifts the shadows on images and you can set it to automatic. Maybe that is doing it? Turn it off and see what happens.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:51 AM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #9 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

The aperture lever look ok to me and I do not have any of the dynamic range, highlight stuff turned on. It may need a trip to Nikon.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:44 PM
twgphotog

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

How often is it happening and is it happening when you are shooting in bursts? This occasionally (rarely) happens to me while I am shooting wildlife on CH and I am firing off a burst of 3-5 frames, it also seems to underexpose in these instances versus overexposing.

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:39 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mykal
• • •
p.1 #11 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Happens randomly and the camera is in single shot mode. It's not on CL or CH.

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #12 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

It would have been so easy if you had listed all the pertinent information in just one post.

This feels like playing detective, only just that you didn't share enough info from the beggining..

Anyhow, hope you get it sorted out

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:45 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #13 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Thanks for you help. Didn't know what all the pertinent information was until persons started asking. Sorry to have bothered you.

Guari wrote:
It would have been so easy if you had listed all the pertinent information in just one post.

This feels like playing detective, only just that you didn't share enough info from the beggining..

Anyhow, hope you get it sorted out

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:09 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Mykal wrote:
The aperture lever look ok to me and I do not have any of the dynamic range, highlight stuff turned on. It may need a trip to Nikon.

Assuming there's nothing wrong with the sensor, the only way to get varying exposures in M from one shot to the next is if either the shutter or aperture mechanism is malfunctioning. Of the two the aperture is easier to verify. Shoot a scene with shallow DOF, where you'll be able to visually distinguish a stop difference of DOF. Take a sequence with the same shutter/aperture, using an aperture 1 stop away from wide-open. For two images with different exposures check to see if the DOF is different. If it is then the aperture lever is malfunctioning, otherwise it's the shutter.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:13 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #15 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

snapsy wrote:
Assuming there's nothing wrong with the sensor, the only way to get varying exposures in M from one shot to the next is if either the shutter or aperture mechanism is malfunctioning. Of the two the aperture is easier to verify. Shoot a scene with shallow DOF, where you'll be able to visually distinguish a stop difference of DOF. Take a sequence with the same shutter/aperture, using an aperture 1 stop away from wide-open. For two images with different exposures check to see if the DOF is different. If it is then the aperture lever is malfunctioning, otherwise it's the
...Show more

Thanks snapsy. You may be onto something here as looking back on some of the photos the darker ones do seem a bit sharper which could be due to increased depth of field. Sending it off to Nikon next week.

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:36 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #16 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Mykal wrote:
Thanks for you help. Didn't know what all the pertinent information was until persons started asking. Sorry to have bothered you.

sorry, didn't mean it like that..

again, hope you get it sorted

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Mykal wrote:
No bracketing is not on. Same settings light does not change, focal length does not change and yet exposure differs by about 1 stop. Happens with different lens as well. Shooting raw. Any ideas what could cause this?

One more thing to look at, if you're using spot metering, the tiniest of movement within the scene can cause a fluctuation in exposure.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #18 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Guari wrote:
sorry, didn't mean it like that..

again, hope you get it sorted

Thanks Guari. I hope to figure this out today as after looking back at the last wedding it may be a lens issue instead.

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #19 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

leighton w wrote:
One more thing to look at, if you're using spot metering, the tiniest of movement within the scene can cause a fluctuation in exposure.

Using matrix metering but even with spot meter the exposure would not change shooting in manual mode and not one of the auto modes. Auto ISO is also off.

Nov 22, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Mykal
• • •
p.1 #20 · D600 exposure varies between 2 shots same settings

Looks like the aperture lever on the 24-70 is the problem and not the camera. I was going from memory when I said different lenses. Another reminder not to trust my 40 odd year old memory lol.

The aperture lever on the 24-70 does not move freely and snap back into place like my other lens. Anything I can do about this or do I need to send to nikon?

Nov 22, 2012 at 06:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password