Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Yellowstone Clothing

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Yellowstone Clothing

I will be traveling to Yellowstone the end of January, 2013. I will be there 2 weeks photographing landscape and wildlife in weather that I have been told can get brutally cold. For those of you that have taken this trip, how did you handle the cold temperatures. Will I need special arctic clothing, good thermals, wool, what? Thank you in advance, Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM
3iron
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Yellowstone Clothing

Jim: Check LL Bean, Cabelo's, Bass Pro , North Face etc. for cold weather gear. Remember the saying "cotton kills". Stay away from cotton anything. Synthetics and wool clothing will be the best.
Use a layered system so you can add and remove as needed.
You don't say whether you will be packing or riding but you have something to work with.
Have a great trip, wish I was going with you.

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:52 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Yellowstone Clothing

3iron wrote:
Jim: Check LL Bean, Cabelo's, Bass Pro , North Face etc. for cold weather gear. Remember the saying "cotton kills". Stay away from cotton anything. Synthetics and wool clothing will be the best.
Use a layered system so you can add and remove as needed.
You don't say whether you will be packing or riding but you have something to work with.
Have a great trip, wish I was going with you.

Thank you. I will be driving to Mammoth Springs and taking a daily trip via coach, &/or private auto. The standing around will mostly be setting up and working an area. Similarly, should I come upon game I wish to photo. Wish I was able to take everybody that would like to go. Thanks, Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:21 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Yellowstone Clothing

this might give you a little idea of what you are looking forward to: a good frame of reference
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Yellowstone+National+Park&state=WY&site=RIW&textField1=44.5747&textField2=-110.518

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/winterreports.htm

REI store locator
http://www.rei.com/stores/storeloc.html

driving to MS? in Jan. make sure your vehicle is set up for it.

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:09 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Yellowstone Clothing

sjms wrote:
this might give you a little idea of what you are looking forward to: a good frame of reference
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Yellowstone+National+Park&state=WY&site=RIW&textField1=44.5747&textField2=-110.518

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/winterreports.htm

REI store locator
http://www.rei.com/stores/storeloc.html

driving to MS? in Jan. make sure your vehicle is set up for it.

This is very helpful information. Thank you. To be "Officially" ready to go I need to pickup a set of chains. Other than that it is figure out how to stay warm. Thank you, Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Yellowstone Clothing

yes you do. chains, cleats, tank treads all good

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:27 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Yellowstone Clothing

As already stated, layers are the key to happiness. That said, the key for me is paying special attention to the feet. One of the biggest problems is not that your boots are too cold, but that they may be too tight and/or too warm. What that leads to is sweaty feet while walking, which then get very cold when sitting or waiting. So be sure to get properly fitting footwear and socks. After that, fingered glove liners inside mittens work great for keeping hands warm when you are standing around.

Peace,

Todd

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:34 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Yellowstone Clothing

sjms wrote:
yes you do. chains, cleats, tank treads all good

Thanks. Where can I get those tank treads?

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Yellowstone Clothing

Todd Warnke wrote:
As already stated, layers are the key to happiness. That said, the key for me is paying special attention to the feet. One of the biggest problems is not that your boots are too cold, but that they may be too tight and/or too warm. What that leads to is sweaty feet while walking, which then get very cold when sitting or waiting. So be sure to get properly fitting footwear and socks. After that, fingered glove liners inside mittens work great for keeping hands warm when you are standing around.

Peace,

Todd

My feet getting cold has always been a problem. I am thinking about getting these:: http://www.northernoutfitters.com/mountain-pack-arctic-boots/
If they didn't look so weird I would jump on them. Time to suck up the vanity and get warm.. Thank you, Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:46 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #10 · Yellowstone Clothing

I was in Yellowstone last winter and we hit -24* one morning. Very heavy long undies..from Cabela's, a winter Parka and insulated boots....don't forget the "Yak tracks".
Several batteries will come in handy too..
Great trip I'm going back again this winter.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Thats Fresh
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Yellowstone Clothing

Ill add to the great information already posted above.

From my experience, layered clothing works best. You can add on or take off as the weather conditions changes. If the forecast is calling for mostly sunny with chances of rain in the area, then pack for sunny weather with an extra rain jacket that you can foldup. If its calling for all rain and some sun, bring out the rain gear and wear the sunny clothes underneath. Those UnderAmour drifit works well. Actually all drifit works from the socks to the gloves and if budget is a factor, the Starter brand at Walmart works exactly the same.

Get those heat packs for your flanges and batteries!

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:06 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Yellowstone Clothing

matt4626 wrote:
I was in Yellowstone last winter and we hit -24* one morning. Very heavy long undies..from Cabela's, a winter Parka and insulated boots....don't forget the "Yak tracks".
Several batteries will come in handy too..
Great trip I'm going back again this winter.

I have been wanting to make this trip for years and now it appears to be coming true. Thank you for the information. I would have never thought of Yak tracks. Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Yellowstone Clothing

Thats Fresh wrote:
Ill add to the great information already posted above.

From my experience, layered clothing works best. You can add on or take off as the weather conditions changes. If the forecast is calling for mostly sunny with chances of rain in the area, then pack for sunny weather with an extra rain jacket that you can foldup. If its calling for all rain and some sun, bring out the rain gear and wear the sunny clothes underneath. Those UnderAmour drifit works well. Actually all drifit works from the socks to the gloves and if budget is a factor, the Starter
...Show more

Under Armour is cheaper than the wool-blends I have been looking at. Thank you, Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #14 · Yellowstone Clothing

Footwear in the cold is always a challenge. A balance between bulk and walkability is the challenge. I have fund that layering socks and decent PAC boots is a good set up. If you are walking much, it doesn't matter what you choose, it will be a pain. Be prepared to be very tired. Think about conditioning and altitude. And keep fluids up, you won't be thirsty but you need the liquids anyway.

Good luck and have fun!

Paul

Nov 21, 2012 at 05:05 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #15 · Yellowstone Clothing

Don't forget to put an emergency kit in the auto. Food, extra water, a candle will actually warm the car with you in it. Extra blanket, shovel etc. Hopefully you will not need it, but if you do need it, you will be so happy it is there, you will take me next time.
Best wishes.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:06 PM
henryp
• • •
p.1 #16 · Yellowstone Clothing

Thats Fresh wrote:
From my experience, layered clothing works best.

And keep your skin dry. Wet skin freezes at 32º; dry skin closer to 0º.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:33 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Yellowstone Clothing

Paulthelefty wrote:
Footwear in the cold is always a challenge. A balance between bulk and walkability is the challenge. I have fund that layering socks and decent PAC boots is a good set up. If you are walking much, it doesn't matter what you choose, it will be a pain. Be prepared to be very tired. Think about conditioning and altitude. And keep fluids up, you won't be thirsty but you need the liquids anyway.

Good luck and have fun!

Paul

Paul; These are excellent tips. Thank you. Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:39 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Yellowstone Clothing

3iron wrote:
Don't forget to put an emergency kit in the auto. Food, extra water, a candle will actually warm the car with you in it. Extra blanket, shovel etc. Hopefully you will not need it, but if you do need it, you will be so happy it is there, you will take me next time.
Best wishes.

I have read the horror stories of stranded travelers and plan on being "Over-Prepared" Thank you very much. Jim

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:41 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Yellowstone Clothing

henryp wrote:
And keep your skin dry. Wet skin freezes at 32º; dry skin closer to 0º.

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video

Thank you Henry. My biggest concern there is over dressing and starting to sweat. This is like going to another planet as I live in SW Texas..

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:44 PM
Celbrett
• •
p.1 #20 · Yellowstone Clothing

chemical heat packs are a good idea for hands and feet. A few tour companies use the site below. You can rent some items rather than have to purchase them.

http://www.necessarygear.com/index.php?cPath=34_308

Nov 26, 2012 at 02:41 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password