Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Lost FMers ?

cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lost FMers ?

I'm enjoying being here again, but since I have been back I have noticed the absence of a few people.

Anyone know where any of these members went?:

Anden
pascal03
pengland
Leon Noel

I am sure there are others missing too.

Hell, I even miss the ever-lovable brainiac (but let's not open that can of worms).

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:29 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Lost FMers ?

Anyone else missing? List them here!

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Lost FMers ?

Paul,

I have often wondered the same ... where have so many gone from the last few years.

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Lost FMers ?

jjlphoto
NK Guy
rogie
Ronan O Keeffe
scribble
thehawkins
theopolis

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:36 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lost FMers ?

Yeah, I miss brainiac too. Andreas is occasionally around, I don't think he left.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:41 PM
LightShow
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Lost FMers ?

Life, priorities change.

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:46 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lost FMers ?

jcolwell wrote:
jjlphoto
NK Guy
rogie
Ronan O Keeffe
scribble
thehawkins
theopolis

Ah yes...

Memory lane...

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:57 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
Yeah, I miss brainiac too. Andreas is occasionally around, I don't think he left.

Ah, I see Andreas was around a couple months ago. Nice.

I guess he's just throttled things back considerably, like Ulrik...

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Lost FMers ?

Ulrik has been here recently. He graduated and became a real lawyer, so I guess he has other things keeping him busy now. But he comes by.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Lost FMers ?

this thread pretty well explains what happened to andreas: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1078116/

edit: i thought i saw a pengland post not too long ago, but maybe that was in an archival search?

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

StevenPA
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
Yeah, I miss brainiac too.

Brainiac and Fred had a falling out. The details (or at least some of them) are somewhere in the archives.

Lotusm50, Rico, Andi Dietrich, ziyadj, ISO1600, pascal03, Mike Tuomey. The list is pretty long.

All the old Contax crew. My guess is that the alt world has changed so dramatically in the past few years that there really isn't much need to explore anymore. It's about aesthetics now, not "let's find the best". I'm sure many just get the new Zeiss lenses and are done with it.

And for me, I changed jobs a few years ago and kinda lost the fire because of time.

Nov 21, 2012 at 03:38 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Lost FMers ?

Yeah, I am aware of why Richard (brainiac) left, I just miss his banter. He was fun to spar with.

Lotus is around, saw him post just a day or two ago. Rico as well, I am pretty sure. Andi pops in from time to time, although it is a while since I last saw him. I think he has a Hy6 now?

I think that the Contax lenses have sort of fallen out of favour, now that there are ZF/ZE lenses. There are still those who prefer them, but only a few people prefer them, due to the stop-down metering and no communications. The 35/1.4 still has its fans.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:58 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
I think that the Contax lenses have sort of fallen out of favour, now that there are ZF/ZE lenses. There are still those who prefer them, but only a few people prefer them, due to the stop-down metering and no communications.

lets not forget the poorly chosen number of aperture blades.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:03 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Lost FMers ?

I always wondered where Brainiac disappeared to. He was a HUGE poster here and then fell off the map.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:08 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Lost FMers ?

sebboh wrote:
lets not forget the poorly chosen number of aperture blades.

Right, often 6 or 8, isn't it?

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:09 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Lost FMers ?

I was mailing with him a little while ago. He also has a little family and was quite busy with his life, in good spirits. There are some of his Contax 35/1.4 photos here: http://cyberphotographer.com/5D/CZ351.4/

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:14 AM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #17 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
Right, often 6 or 8, isn't it?

How on earth could we take pictures with such lenses ?
Thinking back to the old days of the 21 Distagon or later the big Leica DMR thread, there are a lot of people that are not around the alt forum anymore.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:15 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Lost FMers ?

Jack and Guy started their own forum after their own spats with Fred. They are over on getdpi.com, a very nice little forum, much quieter than here but with some really friendly people. There are lots of people over there using digital medium format, and active Leica and Sony forums.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:30 AM
sebboh
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Lost FMers ?

slungu wrote:
How on earth could we take pictures with such lenses ?

indeed.

seriously, i want to slap whoever it was at zeiss and minolta (well olympus too) that decide 6 was enough aperture blades for those otherwise wonderful lenses that are perfect for me in every other way. none of the new Z*s interest me so far and minolta doesn't exist anymore so i have to search for old cheap russian lenses to steal the apertures from.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:39 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.1 #20 · Lost FMers ?

carstenw wrote:
Jack and Guy started their own forum after their own spats with Fred. They are over on getdpi.com, a very nice little forum, much quieter than here but with some really friendly people. There are lots of people over there using digital medium format, and active Leica and Sony forums.

Yeah, they were the pioneers (as far as I remember), and a couple of guys whose names I can't recall right now. I think I learned about the Contax Distagon 21/2.8 from Guy and his cockpit shot. It wasn't long after that that D21 prices went up to $4,000 and we got booted from the Canon board. Haha.. I think Pondria gave the Alt forum its name.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:41 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password