Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Mark Andrew

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

This is probably my best lens. Certainly it is the most used. And definitely has a terribly designed lens cap that comes with it.

Has anyone figured out a better replacement lens cap?

I know it sounds trivial but it is a real pain.

Thanks.

Mark

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:38 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Generic 67mm pinch cap - might be a Tamron. I hate the ones that come with Zeiss lenses, they are hard to hang onto even with my femme fingers.

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:45 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.1 #3 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Get the Sony Zeiss one if you care for the look

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #4 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Not the cheapest around but looks like a genuine replacement 67mm Zeiss Z series front cap

http://www.ebay.pl/itm/CARL-ZEISS-ZF-ZF-2-ZE-ZM-67mm-ORIGINAL-FRONT-CAP-NEW-/261128616806?pt=Obiettivi&hash=item3ccc7a7b66

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Nikon caps work great. I have them for all my Zeiss lenses, except the 21 Distagon, since there isn't a Nikon cap in that size.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Peire wrote:
Not the cheapest around but looks like a genuine replacement 67mm Zeiss Z series front cap

http://www.ebay.pl/itm/CARL-ZEISS-ZF-ZF-2-ZE-ZM-67mm-ORIGINAL-FRONT-CAP-NEW-/261128616806?pt=Obiettivi&hash=item3ccc7a7b66

Why would he want to replace a cap he finds terrible with an identical cap? I think you were speed-reading...

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

carstenw wrote:
Nikon caps work great. I have them for all my Zeiss lenses, except the 21 Distagon, since there isn't a Nikon cap in that size.

There is one but it is not "official" Nikon product......

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:44 PM
Mark Andrew

p.1 #8 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

I think I will go with the Nikon because Gary says they work great and it will ad a new spin on my Zeiss for Canon!

Thanks everyone!

Mark

Nov 20, 2012 at 07:55 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

I buy Tamron caps for all lenses that they make a cap size for.

I can't parse it better than that, but still it reads strangely.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:04 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #10 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

The best replacements for the feeble Zeiss caps are screw-in metal lens caps. They don't break and cannot accidentally come undone. Even the best clip-on caps can easily be knocked off with a light glancing blow and are marginal at best. The screw-ins vary in quality; the ones B&H carries new are fine; sometimes you can find used ones a swell.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Gary Clennan wrote:
There is one but it is not "official" Nikon product......

I have that one. Within a week the Nikon letters had peeled from the front, but worse, the springs are much weaker than in real Nikon caps, so it doesn't feel safe. I haven't had it drop off yet, but if I saw a better one, this one would be gone instantly.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

My experience as well Carsten....

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:02 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #13 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

I don't get the hate for Zeiss lens caps.. (I have no complains about the lens cap for MP 100, yet)

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:12 AM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #14 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

I agree with you about the poorly designed Zeiss len caps - after the first one came apart, I called Zeiss and they quickly sent me a replacement for free - but alas another one did the same thing - guess I will use the Nikon and forget it - I just hate to use a cap from a $200 Nikon lens on a $2000 Zeiss lens - just the principle!!!

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:48 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

ytwong wrote:
I don't get the hate for Zeiss lens caps.. (I have no complains about the lens cap for MP 100, yet)

They are just really difficult to get on and off, and easily slip out of the hand. Getting them on is hard due to their sharp edges which catch on the filter threads, and getting them off and dropping them because the pinch area is the inverse shape from ideal, and has the ribbing running in exactly the wrong direction. I cannot for the life of me fathom how a company which generally produces such excellent things could have approved such a design.

Nov 21, 2012 at 07:01 AM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #16 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

carstenw wrote:
Why would he want to replace a cap he finds terrible with an identical cap? I think you were speed-reading...

Yes,I did. Nikon caps are good replacement.I also have some of them on my lenses.

Nov 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Mark Andrew

p.1 #17 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

As a followup - I bought a metal screw cap off of ebay - it is so so so so much better. Thanks for everyone's input.

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:20 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

Keith B. wrote:
The best replacements for the feeble Zeiss caps are screw-in metal lens caps. They don't break and cannot accidentally come undone. Even the best clip-on caps can easily be knocked off with a light glancing blow and are marginal at best. The screw-ins vary in quality; the ones B&H carries new are fine; sometimes you can find used ones a swell.

+1000

all the lenses i care about have generic metal screw caps. i do wish they made them like they used to though i've gotten a couple of old tiffin ones with old lenses and they are made of nicer metal with better machining and beveled edges.

Nov 30, 2012 at 05:49 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #19 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

sebboh wrote:
+1000

all the lenses i care about have generic metal screw caps. i do wish they made them like they used to though � i've gotten a couple of old tiffin ones with old lenses and they are made of nicer metal with better machining and beveled edges.

I have never heard of metal screw-in lens cap. Don't you think the lens thread will worn out after years of screw in and out?

Nov 30, 2012 at 06:54 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Lens Cap Replacement Zeiss Makro Planar 2.0

phuang3 wrote:
I have never heard of metal screw-in lens cap. Don't you think the lens thread will worn out after years of screw in and out?

only if it's a really crappily made lens, really gritty threading on the cap, or the lens has plastic filter threads. i have lenses that i know have had the same metal lens cap used on them for over 40 years and the thread is still great.

Nov 30, 2012 at 07:00 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password