Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

Archive 2012 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com
  
 
Daan B
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


I would like to have my hands on a few high DR RAW files from both the 5D3 and 6D to draw up my own conclusion. Before that, everything else is just a waste...


Nov 21, 2012 at 06:26 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


Daan B wrote:
I would like to have my hands on a few high DR RAW files from both the 5D3 and 6D to draw up my own conclusion. Before that, everything else is just a waste...


I am with you about the first, Daan. The latter not. I wished to get high ISO and a more sensitive AF system over my 5D II. But IQ is important to me, too. For me its a pleasure to see first samples show IQ on par with 5D III or even a tick better at high ISO. And imo pleasure is never a waste. Now the question for me is, if the AF works as reliable as it FELT to do in my first experiences.

Ralph



Nov 21, 2012 at 07:30 AM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


eosfun wrote:
It's not for everyone this camera. But if you are on a tight budget I believe these are things that are easy to overcome for most enthusiast photographers. If you need better you'll have to pull the trigger and go for a 5D mk III and pay more for your EOSfun.


What for some is a must, might be okay for others.
- 1/8000 I never needed and I am pretty sure I will not need it in the future, too.
- SD-Card: I do not like them but none of my collegues had any problems with SD
- single top buttons are welcome and the choosen functions are a good decission for me
- missing joystick ... - but there is the 60D solution I guess I will be able to learn to use



Nov 21, 2012 at 07:39 AM
svetljo
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


1/8000 is killer for me
shooting wide open f1.2 often gets me there during the day
if it had ISO 10 or 25 it would be fine, but without them



Nov 21, 2012 at 07:47 AM
thw2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


svetljo wrote:
1/8000 is killer for me
shooting wide open f1.2 often gets me there during the day
if it had ISO 10 or 25 it would be fine, but without them


This is interesting. Can you show photos taken at f/1.2 and faster than 1/4000? Won't an ND filter do the job?



Nov 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM
svetljo
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


have plenty, but uploading will hard (maybe) :-)

ND does the job, but darkens the viewfinder which i dislike a lot



Nov 21, 2012 at 11:05 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


A NF filter would do, but using one might not be as comfortable too, I guess. And yes, it darkens the viewfinder. I would like to see some sample pictures, too.

I just pointed my camera directly into the sun. It would use F 5.6 at 1/4000th and ISO 50. With 1/8000th that would mean 4.0, still three stops above 1.2 ...
But when I shoot pointed directly into the sun, I usually do not expose on the bright sunlight, but upon some motiv infront of it. So the restriction to 1/4000th is really not a problem for me.



Nov 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM
eosfun
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


It's not summertime now, so you won't reach those value that often now in our European autumn. But I am with svetljo, I have hundreds at 1.2 and 1.4 with my 85L and 35L shot at 1/8000 @ ISO 100 and even a lot expanded to ISO 50. Just shot on a sunny day in open daylight. I find the use of ND filters no EOSfun ineed. I hardly use them.

Incidentally I guess, you will be able to shoot at 1/4000 with the 6D and accept some slight overexposure. The increased DR of the 6D takes more than some might have expected. Not saying this is a solution for every photographic challenge, but again this camera is not meant for everyone. I believe photographers who own and shoot regularly with 1.4 and 1.2 glass probably most often will also have other bodies with shutterspeeds shorter that 1/4000.



Nov 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM
PhilDrinkwater
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


eosfun wrote:
It's not summertime now, so you won't reach those value that often now in our European autumn. But I am with svetljo, I have hundreds at 1.2 and 1.4 with my 85L and 35L shot at 1/8000 @ ISO 100 and even a lot expanded to ISO 50. Just shot on a sunny day in open daylight. I find the use of ND filters no EOSfun ineed. I hardly use them.

Incidentally I guess, you will be able to shoot at 1/4000 with the 6D and accept some slight overexposure. The increased DR of the 6D takes more than some might
...Show more

Indeed. I shoot at f1.4-1.6 fairly often at 1/8000th. On a sunny day I'm even needing to pull the highlights a bit in RAW. f1.8 is about the limit without that.

ND's would be no use to me. I work too quick...

I presume you know ISO50 is really just a pull from ISO100? So, unless you're shooting JPEG, there really is no benefit to using it... and certainly an ND would be a better choice if you needed any extra highlight room.




Nov 21, 2012 at 01:06 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


PhilDrinkwater wrote:
Indeed. I shoot at f1.4-1.6 fairly often at 1/8000th. On a sunny day I'm even needing to pull the highlights a bit in RAW. f1.8 is about the limit without that.

ND's would be no use to me. I work too quick...

I presume you know ISO50 is really just a pull from ISO100? So, unless you're shooting JPEG, there really is no benefit to using it... and certainly an ND would be a better choice if you needed any extra highlight room.



Ups! Yes indeed. I forgott ISO 50 is not given in "real". And yes, it is not summertime now. But even then I seldom try to shoot the sun itsself without NDs.
Of course I shoot people most time inside or in afternoon/evenings. This might be the main course why I never felt under presure even using 1.4.



Nov 21, 2012 at 01:44 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


In several decades of shooting I don't think I've actually shot at 1/8000, not even when shooting surfing, drag racing or at air shows...as of going digital I've not shot above 4K!

But I can sure see when you've got ultra fast glass how that 4K limit would be a deal breaker. And that's when the move to 8K bodies like some croppers, the 5D3 or a 1D body seems appropriate....and expensive...or use NDs.

My opting for the 6D is a simple call, move to FF and continued to use those trusty red rectangles at a lower price point...IQ looks pretty nice. As for NDs, there in my kit, used often but I'm slow as a snail when shooting, hobbyists have that option! If you shoot fast on the fly type events/subjects I'm not sure the 6D would be optimal; backup perhaps

I've not shot any city/landscapes, flowers, etc at above 4K, they're just not that elusive



Nov 21, 2012 at 02:41 PM
thw2
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · 6D Beta preview samples at Dpreview.com


eosfun wrote:
Incidentally I guess, you will be able to shoot at 1/4000 with the 6D and accept some slight overexposure. The increased DR of the 6D takes more than some might have expected.


So, we expect to see increased DR on 6D... but less than one stop (1/4000 to 1/8000).

Hmmmm



Nov 21, 2012 at 03:41 PM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password