New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D800 Screen Protector?

uintaangler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Screen Protector?

Seems strange that finding a good glass screen protector is so difficult for this camera?
Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Bob

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:11 PM
lukeb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Screen Protector?

Got 'em on my 700's - great product.

For the D-800
http://www.amazon.com/GGS-Screen-Protector-glass-NIKON/dp/B008LR9WDK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353371153&sr=8-1&keywords=d800+screen+protector+glass

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:26 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Screen Protector?

+1 took me all of 3 seconds to find mine, Bob

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:32 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Screen Protector?

Never used one like this on my other Nikon cameras.
Does it snap on and off?
How's the fit on the display? Does it cover anything up?

Thanks

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:34 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Screen Protector?

I'm not a big fan of the glass ones that adhere to the screen because they are difficult to remove if you break them. Since they are so thin, a minor pin point impact will break the glass, and possible damage the camera's built in protector. To remove the broken glass, you often need a hair drier to heat it up for the adhesive to release.

There might be some out there that don't break as easily, or do not require a hair drier to remove, but I really haven't looked into it much. I use the Kenko multicoated screen protector on my D800. It's a thin plastic protector that guards against fine scratches. The Kenko kit contains one for the top and rear screen.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:39 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Screen Protector?

You boys might do well to READ the description on the link Gotta say WTF

Product Features:
High Light Transmittance. Uses a 0.5mm ultrathin optical glass with at least 90% transmittance.
Super Abrasion.Made of Hard and Durable Glass prevents the LCD Screen from being rubbed and scraped
Super Scratch-resistance. With the explosion-proof film, it will not damage the LCD screen at all.
Easy to install and remove. The frame design of black ABS can match well with the camera.

Oh, it don't block sh*t. Why would we RECOMMEND something if there were issues Wow! Lazy, don't begin to cover it...

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:56 PM
uintaangler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 Screen Protector?

Hey Will,
Actually my only real concern isn't answered in the link.....
" Can you still see 100% of the screen with the protector snapped on?"
That's a reasonable question - don't ya think?
Bob

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:59 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 Screen Protector?

I used the GGS on the D800e and its effect on the overall picture size was minimal. The GGS doesn't snap on, it uses adhesive.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 Screen Protector?

Isn't the rear LCD already covered by a tempered glass panel that's replaceable?

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:58 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 Screen Protector?

I used GGS on my D700 and really like it, much better than Nikon's own screen protector.

You should get the protector exactly designed for the particular model. I got a D800 one for D600 (I just need that for a trip and D600 one was unavailable..I thought their LCD size are the same....). The package should include 2 piece of glasses, 1 for big LCD monitor and 1 for the small LCD panel.

I don't break my screen protector every now and then so I don't worry too much about removing it. They are supposed to be harder to break than the stock one to begin with.

They use 3M adhesive, actually not that difficult to remove.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:01 PM
woos
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 Screen Protector?

trenchmonkey wrote:
+1 took me all of 3 seconds to find mine, Bob

Yep, GGS here too. Super nice looking, easy to install, and if need be you can remove them with some dental floss. Also they include a protector for both LCDs, they rock.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:15 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 Screen Protector?

Keith B. wrote:
Isn't the rear LCD already covered by a tempered glass panel that's replaceable?

No, tempered glass was first offered on the D3 series and now the D4.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 Screen Protector?

I guess I just like to live dangerously.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM
zesto
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 Screen Protector?

James R wrote:
No, tempered glass was first offered on the D3 series and now the D4.

Is there any information by Nikon to say that the LCD on the D800 isn't (or is) tempered glass also.

Never used a protector on my D3 and have never scratched it and so far the same goes for my D800E. However, if the latter doesn't have a tempered glass LCD then I may invest in one.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 Screen Protector?

GGS all the way on all my DSLRs that I've had as well as my LX-3, LX-5, and now LX-7.
If it's scratchable I'll scratch it. My GGS protectors have taken some good hits and survived just fine. When applied to the LCD it's something I just don't have to worry about. Peels off pretty easily using a credit card or some other thin piece of plastic.

Yes the LCD on today's DSLRs (like my D800) is replaceable, but I'd rather replace a $9 part myself then have to send it into Nikon for $100+ replacement.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 Screen Protector?

zesto wrote:
Is there any information by Nikon to say that the LCD on the D800 isn't (or is) tempered glass also.

Never used a protector on my D3 and have never scratched it and so far the same goes for my D800E. However, if the latter doesn't have a tempered glass LCD then I may invest in one.

Zesto,

After checking into this, I can say that I don't know. Nikon doesn't advertise "tempered glass" monitors. Couldn't find any Nikon reference to tempered related on the D800 or D4. Check the D4 user manual and it doesn't mention tempered glass either. So, I don't know and therefore take my previous comment back. I'll probably put a GGS on the D4, since it is cheap and move on to other big problems.

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:24 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 Screen Protector?

Thanks for your reply James. I'll get a GGS for my D800E just in case.

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:31 AM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 Screen Protector?

I use the GGS III snap on screen on by D800 and it is quite good. You can see 100% of the image as it does not blank anything out. The beauty of the snap on screen is that it can easily be removed and sometimes you have to remove it to see critical image quality as it does compromise the IQ coming through the screen. For me it is only just better than the plastic screen protector supplied by Nikon.

To put it into context, if you said that the screen bare was 100% and the Nikon plastic cover was 85% as good, then the GGS screen falls somewhere in the middle between the two. I would not be without a screen protector and the GGS III is the best compromise, IMO. This is just my opinion.

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:32 AM
dennishh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 Screen Protector?

I have been using this glass cover that snaps on. Very nice looking and no loss of light or reflections. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860344-REG/Vello_spso_nd800_Snap_On_LCD_Screen_Protector.html

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 Screen Protector?

dennishh wrote:
I have been using this glass cover that snaps on. Very nice looking and no loss of light or reflections. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860344-REG/Vello_spso_nd800_Snap_On_LCD_Screen_Protector.html

Does this keep dust and sand from getting between the cover and the monitor? It looks very similar to the stock protector Nikon provides, except the black trim.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.