Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Daan B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

I have quite a number of events coming up the coming year. Right now I use the 5D2 for shooting events. Two things bother me about the 5D2. One is the overall responsiveness. Sometimes I miss 'moments' because the camera can't keep up with me (too slow: vf black-out, shutterlag). Two is the mediocre AI Servo performance.

BTW I am a center AF point shooter when it comes to events. So the outer AF point performance isn't my concern.

I am trying to figure out if the 5D3 will be a 'better' camera for my needs? I know in theory it is faster (shutterlag and vf blackout) and seems to have better AI Servo performance overall. But will the difference between the 5D2 and 5D3 really be THAT great considering I stick to the center AF point?

Anybody who have used the 5D2 and 5D3 for events care to share their experiences?

Thanks

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:01 PM
Karver

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

yes, MkIII has the way better AF in both one-shot and servo.
with MkII I had to use only center point and even then it was hit and miss.

also, MkIII has fully usable auto ISO and in Av mode you can set minimum shutter speed.

so, for events MkIII is the only choice among the two.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:14 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

AI servo is scarily accurate and fast. It is definitely faster than my 1DMK3. I believe shutterlag is about the same as the MK2.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:26 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

5D3 is very fast to lock accurate focus. I shot some go carts coming right at me around a corner, and could easily lock focus and grab shots as one whizzed by right after the other. I know 1D3 sometimes had issues with that scenario (objects coming right at you), and 5D2 never would have worked for it. 5D2 might have gotten the first guy given adequate time to lock on, but not likely the subsequent guys. 5D3 handled it easily...

I can't imagine you feeling let down by the servo performance IF the black AF point issue doesn't bug you.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

I try to shoot many events with ambient light. So I'll describe my th oughts:

1. Hands down, the III wins on AF, anywhere in the frame.
2. The III wins on ISO performance
3. The II loses on VF blackout
4. The III has a great "silent" mode
5. Lens corrections can be set by default in the III.
6. The possibilities with a Mark III plus a Wi-Fi card and mobile phone makes sharing on the spot very easy. When the Eye-Fi isn't provoking silly errors with the body, for example...
7. More framing "oopsies" during wide-angle wide open snaps, with the mark II.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

if you have the funds for it, get it. The AF alone is worth the upgrade in my opinion, you're basically getting 1D series AF (minus f8 af until they release the firmware), nothing on the market other than a 1dx comes close. I also love the silent shutter, really makes your presence even less known. IMHO it's the best wedding/event camera out there.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

This thread may be relevant to your questions, too: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1167129/

Dan

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Yup, I agree too, 5DIII wins.

I shot a gymnastics meet a few months ago with the 5DII and the 5DIII and I felt the III was so much more responsive, faster focus, less time between shots, brighter viewfinder, better fit in my hands. By the end of the day I realized I probably shot 70% with the III and the rest on the II. (I had the 24-70 and 70-200, and I swapped them during the meet to the same result).

I really don't like my 5DII that much anymore...its just a backup body now.

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:18 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

sirimiri wrote:
4. The III has a great "silent" mode

This by itself can be a very big point in some scenarios.

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:01 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

So, all positive for the 5D3? Thanks for the feedback guys.

To be sure: when sticking to the center AF point on both the 5D2 and 5D3, the 5D3 has WAY better AI Servo performance, right?

I am not sure I will be bothered by the AF black points. What again is so annoying about it?

Another question: do the files of the 5D2 and 5D3 look the same / respond similair to PP?

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

What annoys me about black points is in a dark venue, when shooting a dark target, the black AF points can become invisible for all intents and purposes. It can cause you to miss shots. I didn't think it would bother me at all as I also shoot 7D, but it really did bug me when it happened...

For my use at least -
5D3 servo rarely misses if I do my job
versus 5D2 servo sometimes hits

Just curious - what kind of events, Daan? Wedding? Sporting?

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:41 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Which of the 5D3 AF modes do most owners use for static-ish events like a weddings or gatherings?
Individual AF point, expanded point, area or what?

Nov 20, 2012 at 07:33 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

mco_970 wrote:
What annoys me about black points is in a dark venue, when shooting a dark target, the black AF points can become invisible for all intents and purposes. It can cause you to miss shots. I didn't think it would bother me at all as I also shoot 7D, but it really did bug me when it happened...

For my use at least -
5D3 servo rarely misses if I do my job
versus 5D2 servo sometimes hits

Just curious - what kind of events, Daan? Wedding? Sporting?

Thanks for explaining. Some of the events are in dark places. Others are in the open air. Ranging from weddings to all kinds of open air events (concerts, sport events, etc).

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:05 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Hi Daan,

Daan B wrote:
So, all positive for the 5D3? Thanks for the feedback guys.

To be sure: when sticking to the center AF point on both the 5D2 and 5D3, the 5D3 has WAY better AI Servo performance, right?

Yes. Much better. I shot a bungie jumper in Barcelona. 5/5 in air shots where in focus where I pointed the camera,

Another question: do the files of the 5D2 and 5D3 look the same / respond similair to PP?

About the same, but do not need quite as much sharpening and do not respond as well to large change in color separation (Clarity slider) in LR But, I am not absolutely this is not due to change in LR version.

Jerry

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:18 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Daan, what's your keeper rate with 5D2? I would expect for open air stuff as you described, 5D3's keeper rate would be excellent. For darker stuff, it should be largely improved. I have used mine for theater, outdoor events, animal images, and sports. It is very much like shooting a 7D for responsiveness & the servo AF is more reliable than 7D (which was already pretty decent).

I am also finding I need less sharpening, but I also upgraded to LR4. So who knows about that...

For me at least it has not felt like a WOW upgrade. I kept my 5D2 for a while to decide whether I wanted to keep 5D3 or not, and 5D3 has eventually grown on me due the overall performance of it.

Small sample from my first day with 5D3 doing some testing... I shot several sequences like this and every shot was in focus. Definitely way beyond anything my 5D2 could do, and 1D3 would often have some frames OOF.

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:37 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Thanks Michelle. Those dog tracking shots are exactly the kind of shots that my 5D2 struggles with in AI Servo. It is good to know the 5D3 will do better. Very helpful

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:24 PM
mfoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Even for centre AF.. the 5D III is just better. No doubt about it. To me this really does feel like 1D stuff in a 5D series body. Finally! Don't forget those outer focus point which all of a sudden are more than usable. It will grow on you fairly quickly. Knowing you can rely on them makes all the difference. As others have mentioned the silent mode is just awesome... again you wouldn't really appreciate till you have it.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:50 PM
senzazn12
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Yeah, I feel the same way. The 5D II seems to be a
hit and miss. Trying to get a 5D Mark III.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Daan B wrote:
Some of the events are in dark places.

You might wait a couple of weeks and check out a 6D, with AF to -3EV, you won't find a better FF camera to shoot in near complete darkness.

Nov 21, 2012 at 01:00 AM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5D2 vs 5D3 for events

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
You might wait a couple of weeks and check out a 6D, with AF to -3EV, you won't find a better FF camera to shoot in near complete darkness.

Does this apply for AI Servo too? IIRC the 6D has roughly the same AF as the 5D2. Also: is the 6D a faster (as in responsive) camera than the 5D2?

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:14 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password