Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Fell off in the middle of a shoot yesterday. If I send it in I am afraid they won't do it unless they replace the shutter, she's getting a little long in the tooth.....

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

They are required to fix the mirror because it is a recall.

If they email about the shutter you can reply "NO" unless they replace it for free.

Good luck

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:09 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Fixed it myself....tweezers, super glue a prayer and a not so steady hand....Works fine

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:02 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Michaelparris wrote:
Fixed it myself....tweezers, super glue a prayer and a not so steady hand....Works fine

Do make sure it is in the correct plane by shooting something at maximum aperture after careful manual focusing to check the mirror is still in alignment with the plane of the sensor.

Even a tiny bit out will throw the focusing off

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:04 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Michaelparris wrote:

And now if something goes wrong with it, it will cost you a lot more to repair.

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Imagemaster wrote:
And now if something goes wrong with it, it will cost you a lot more to repair.

Aiming for the front right corner @ 1.4.....I think all is well, for now..

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Musicman
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

I think it must be the season for it :-?

The mirror on my 5D fell off on Thursday while I was in the middle of a shoot (just after I'd taken it for a professional clean for the first time in six years of ownership).

Having spoken to them, I took it into my local Canon repair centre this morning and while I was waiting I overheard another customer booking theirs in for the same fix.

Oh, and it'll cost me nothing, so there's no way I'm going to do it myself. FWIW, the repair guys said that three of the five days it'll take is waiting for the glue they use to set properly.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Michaelparris wrote:

You used SUPER GLUE !
Hope all is well for you but that stuff can give off some Nasty fumes that can get into places you don't want. We use it at work to glue finger/thumb grips into bowling balls . Ours is a special formulation that's supposed not to damage the plastic material the balls are made from , and it can still have an effect. But it's easy to tell when someone has used standard shop bought stuff. It eats into the plastic and cracks radiate from the holes .

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:42 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Why on earth would you do it when trained professionals will do it for free (and clean the sensor). Good luck, hopefully it holds and doesn't screw something else up.

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:47 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

PeaktoPeek wrote:
Why on earth would you do it when trained professionals will do it for free (and clean the sensor). Good luck, hopefully it holds and doesn't screw something else up.

thats just how i roll...

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:46 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
You used SUPER GLUE !
Hope all is well for you but that stuff can give off some Nasty fumes that can get into places you don't want. We use it at work to glue finger/thumb grips into bowling balls . Ours is a special formulation that's supposed not to damage the plastic material the balls are made from , and it can still have an effect. But it's easy to tell when someone has used standard shop bought stuff. It eats into the plastic and cracks radiate from the holes .

This old camera has served me well, got it for a song. It will be put out to pasture soon......I used about 4 tiny dots of the stuff....

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

When I had my 5Dc, I sent mine in. They replaced the mirror and cleaned the body for free of charge. The turnaround time was great. I think it took me only a few days.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:50 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Wahoowa wrote:
When I had my 5Dc, I sent mine in. They replaced the mirror and cleaned the body for free of charge. The turnaround time was great. I think it took me only a few days.

Need it this weekend.....

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:54 PM
ESeidle
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

+1 on the super glue solution. Saw it done by a friend on a 5D classic. This was like 3 years ago in art school.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:00 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

DizzelDel wrote:
+1 on the super glue solution. Saw it done by a friend on a 5D classic. This was like 3 years ago in art school.

Finally, thought I was swimming alone in this sea....

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:29 PM
leftymgp
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Yeah, had mine done by Canon this Summer. As others have said, they fixed the mirror, cleaned the sensor, and gave me a shutter count for the grand total of zero dollars. So yeah, not sure why you wouldn't do that.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

leftymgp wrote:
Yeah, had mine done by Canon this Summer. As others have said, they fixed the mirror, cleaned the sensor, and gave me a shutter count for the grand total of zero dollars. So yeah, not sure why you wouldn't do that.

Because it is needed in a couple of days and I am a dumdum with no backup.....BTW, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:38 AM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

That is a simple fix, You did well !
I replaced a shutter on a 1D2, and despite the final result is perfect, i will NOT do it again ....

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:40 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Thanks for the vote of ENCOURAGEMENT not DISCOURAGEMENT

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Tareq
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone do a 5D mirror fix themselves?

Well, the mirror of my 5Dc fell off too in the past but the mirror broke inside the camera, it costs me about $350 to fix it, the mirror fell off again and i kept the mirror in safe place, here in my country they never fix it for free, so it will be very very wasting time and money to send for that purpose, i will not use 5Dc again at all, i want to fix it only to sell it as i can't sell it in that condition, but then it will be a loss for me to fix it and sell it for low price, so that i just left my 5Dc in a bag maybe forever.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.