Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

bbasiaga
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

So apparently the camera bag wasn't zipped up. The 24-105 dropped out of it from a heigh of maybe 4ft and hit the floor. Nice little rub mark from the floor board on the lens cap. My house it horribly dark at this time of night, but the test shots don't look good. I'm getting focus confirm, but the images are not sharp. The lens itself is unmarked, the elements have no cracks or anything. You wouldn't know it was dropped except for the cap.

I'll have to test it a little more tomorrow AM in better light, but I'm assuming the worst...If I have to send it in to Canon, I have heard they have 'flat' repair costs for may products. Any idea what the cost to repair might be? I'm assuming the optical elements will have to be realigned or something.

What sucks is I bought this lens to replace my old, failing walk around. Now this one is out of commission too.

This was easily the sharpest zoom lens I had. Much better than my previous 28-70. Is it reasonable to expect it to come back repaired with equally excellent performance?

Sick,
Brian

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:23 AM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

To pull a range out of nothing, I'd guess $200-$300. I bought a third-party 24-105 kit lens that looked mint and which the owner said was on a shelf for six months. It had slight decentering. When I sent it in, Canon claimed impact damage and replaced almost every piece of the lens. Still under warranty, interestingly. The lens is now exceedingly sharp. The moral here is that it's very hard to guess what Canon will find.

Counterpoint: Roger at Lensrentals has sent a number of decentered or otherwise underperforming 24-70/2.8s back to Canon. All of them came back within the lower bounds of acceptable. Repair didn't turn them into stellar copies.

The repair warranty is 6 months, so if you don't mind paying again for shipping, you can send it back for adjustment if it isn't good enough for you. Or sell it and buy a new copy; there was a deal on refurb copies not long ago for $685. Given that the refurb warranty is only 90 days, this shouldn't be your first choice.

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:32 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

I had a very similar occurrence a couple of years or so ago. The 24-105 fell from an unzipped case onto concrete resulting with a damaged lens mount and possible internal malfunction as well.

Canon charged a somewhat fixed rate for lens repair then and the cost for mine was in the vicinity of about $400 as far as I remember. I had no choice of course, but to take some of the sting out of it I enrolled in CPS gold. The qualified 30% off the repair bill more than compensated for the fee for the membership, plus I got the perks that comes with it. Of course you have to add up the points accrued by your Canon equipment to see whether you qualify for membership.

Hope this help.

Db

Edited on Nov 20, 2012 at 05:18 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:55 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

Doctorbird, when it came back was it performing as well as when you sent it in? I'm kind of worried it won't come back as sharp as it was before I dropped it.

Also, how strict are they on having to be a professional photographer to get in to the CPS program? I have enough points for a gold membership, but this is mainly a hobby. I only work a few gigs a year.

-Brian

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Ferrophot
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

I have sent two lenses in to Canon for repair. They both came back as good or better than when they were new.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

In Canada, you don't have to be a pro to get Gold CPS membership, only for Platinum.

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

Don't tell us about it. Just send it in and all will be fine.

Nov 19, 2012 at 04:26 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

bbasiaga wrote:
Doctorbird, when it came back was it performing as well as when you sent it in? I'm kind of worried it won't come back as sharp as it was before I dropped it.

Also, how strict are they on having to be a professional photographer to get in to the CPS program? I have enough points for a gold membership, but this is mainly a hobby. I only work a few gigs a year.

-Brian

Hi Brian,

My lens came back as good as new or better. During the repair they check everything on the lens and make sure that it's all up to spec and cleaned. Early samples of this lens suffered from a bit of a flare problem. Mine was adjusted for this before the accident, and no sign of this after the accident repair.

Canon's service is excellent (barring a few exceptions, I guess). With the gold CPS you get preferred service. As a practical matter, it seems that one qualifies solely on the equipment points, regardless of what some of the statements in their web site says. They are quite receptive on the phone if you want to give a call to CPS directly. In fact, you can confirm with a call to the repair service that you can do this. I remember now that's what I did.

Hope this helps.

dB

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:14 PM
RileyJoseph
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24-105 dropped...anybody have a repair estimate?

I will fix it for $450. You're welcome.

Nov 23, 2012 at 02:49 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password