Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       9       end

Archive 2012 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

ukkisavosta
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

On the topic of getting unstuck, how about trying image transfer? A good friend of mine recently participated in a course on image transfer. The idea fascinated me as well, so I studied various image transfer methods and got some transfer liquids to try it out myself.

I plan on transferring some b/w images on metal or wood and coat them with some matte varnish. A silhouette cityscape panorama might look nice.

Jaakko

Nov 30, 2012 at 03:53 AM
R.Young
• • •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

I'm hitting a wall now. My website is up for renewal in January and I'm not sure what to do, renew, move back to flickr, or just keep my photos to myself: probably not take as many photos

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:00 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

Why don't you trim it down to the very best and go from there? The last I looked there was a *lot* of photos on your site. Or would it make sense to split it into two sections, possibly separate websites: personal (friends, family, etc...) and "art"?

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:05 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

Well I've always used my website as a blog, and just put up photos as I get round to processing them. It costs me about £40 a year and seems a bit pointless as none of my family or friends ever really use it (often asking me what the url is...) So the only views I get are from linking to it from forums like this etc.

Flickr seems like more sense as I can then still post in forums directly, however, that would mean all of the images posted by me here would go dead, and I wouldn't know how far back into my catalogue to post. Or do I start from scratch and post what I want, when I want, old or new?

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:11 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

My photography is very much an extension of my love for the outdoors, they really go hand in hand. So getting unstuck for me requires simply getting excited about getting outdoors again, which usually isn't very hard to do. Though right now we are in that funky season where there isn't much snow, but it's still brown and dead, this is probably my least favorite time of year for photography.

Dec 04, 2012 at 02:40 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

Well, I am planning to get unstuck using the most common but least effective method: buy a new piece of gear. I just picked up my first RZ67 lens

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:51 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

Does it fit on your Nikon D800, Carsten? Which one did you get?

Dec 21, 2012 at 05:59 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

I usually go drinking

Dec 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.8 #9 · p.8 #9 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

carstenw wrote:
Well, I am planning to get unstuck using the most common but least effective method: buy a new piece of gear. I just picked up my first RZ67 lens

Ah! Willkommen in Ɛrtsɛtland!

I had surgery on my right eye a few months ago and my vision is still off. I won't lie, it's been a real impediment to photographing, as I simply don't see like I used to. Especially at night and also with rangefinder mechanisms. I probably photograph about 10% as much as I used to and I'm pretty unhappy in that regard. The "thrill of the chase" is simply not there, and I never (ever) thought this would happen to me.

"Give it time" the doctor says...

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:47 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.8 #10 · p.8 #10 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

R.Young wrote:
I'm hitting a wall now. My website is up for renewal in January and I'm not sure what to do, renew, move back to flickr, or just keep my photos to myself: probably not take as many photos

Why not run your own hosting site? It's as easy as connecting a Net-Raid storage device your router! Then you can store as much data as you like - terabytes full even. Keep EXIF tags in tact, don't worry about file sizes or image dimension, host your own blog, vlog, forum, and so on. Turn on logging and see who accessed what files, how many times, and how much total bandwidth is being used and so on. I do this. I currently have about 120GB of data on-line linked to (shared) in pages similar to this one over about 30 different forums. The bandwidth it uses up is barely even noticeable and doesn't affect my own on-line browsing at all on a single 100mb fiber channel connection. If it ever starts to I can just place a speed-limit on it and sites like this will take 1 or 2 seconds to DL each image instead of the 0.2 seconds (avr) it is now - set to unlimited (line-speed).

The NAS runs independently from any of the other computers and costs about $15/mo running 24/7 - here in Japan at the rather high Japanese utility rates. That's with two 2TB green drives installed in a RAID0 configuration. Many have additional connection types so that the device can be mounted on a computer and accessed just like any other external drive. And initial costs can be quite reasonable:

http://www.pcmag.com/products/25618

Edited on Dec 22, 2012 at 02:34 AM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:25 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.8 #11 · p.8 #11 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

carstenw wrote:

Now you have the excuse that you need to test the lens, and then compare to the others for the camera, or compare to another similar camera. . . welcome to my world! Ha-ha. Seriously, I enjoy trying new things and learning their quirks and charms, especially if I find a good deal.

This goes for repairs or clean/adjust on gear. I then need to run it though its paces to make sure the fix is valid or if it needs to be sent back.

Looking forward to seeing some of you photos from this lens.

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:27 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.8 #12 · p.8 #12 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

philber wrote:
Does it fit on your Nikon D800, Carsten? Which one did you get?

No, I think I am done with lenses for the D800 for now, apart from the Nikkor 300/4 I plan to get. This one is a 127mm f/3.8 Mamiya RZ67 lens. I have wanted to try 6x7 for some time now, and I got a nice deal on this. Now I just need to find a nice deal on a 65mm lens and a camera

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:09 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.8 #13 · p.8 #13 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

Gunzorro wrote:
Now you have the excuse that you need to test the lens, and then compare to the others for the camera, or compare to another similar camera. . . welcome to my world! Ha-ha. Seriously, I enjoy trying new things and learning their quirks and charms, especially if I find a good deal.

This goes for repairs or clean/adjust on gear. I then need to run it though its paces to make sure the fix is valid or if it needs to be sent back.

Looking forward to seeing some of you photos from this lens.

This time I am mainly experimenting with a new aspect ratio. I love 6x6 and always found 6x7 a bit odd, too square but not square enough. But I am endlessly curious and want to try it. I am also curious about the RZ67.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:11 AM
Makten
• • • • •
p.8 #14 · p.8 #14 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

carstenw wrote:
This time I am mainly experimenting with a new aspect ratio. I love 6x6 and always found 6x7 a bit odd, too square but not square enough. But I am endlessly curious and want to try it. I am also curious about the RZ67.

Funny how different views people have. I find 6x7 just about perfect and for me it's much, much easier to compose well with than 3:2 or square. I'm sure you will get used to it!

Ljustergatan by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Edit: That was shot with the 80 mm lens on the Bessa 667 by the way. I prefer 90 mm though, as a "perfect standard" AOV.

Dec 22, 2012 at 06:57 AM
Peire
• • • • •
p.8 #15 · p.8 #15 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

For me 6x7cm is ideal:

Linhof Technika IV,120/5,6 ED Micro Nikkor (4x5"),Horseman 6x7 rollcasette:

http://zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1356200751.SEQ.0.jpg

6x6 takes the second place (no difference between vertical and horizontal position ):

Mamiya 6MF,75/3.5 Sekor,Velvia 50

http://zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1356200751.SEQ.1.jpg

135mm (3:2) format always requires some mind struggling but once it's done everything fits well:

NEX5N,Rokkor MC 24/2.8

http://zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1354465819.SEQ.0.jpg

Edited on Dec 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2012 at 01:29 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.8 #16 · p.8 #16 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

Hmm, the 6x6 and 6x7 shots have the aspect ratios of each other...

Dec 22, 2012 at 02:16 PM
R.Young
• • •
p.8 #17 · p.8 #17 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

I'm looking at getting a Hasselblad 503 or something and selling my 24 1.4L for a Sigma 35 1.4. Then I might feel more able to get more social kind of shots with the AF (something I've always struggled with with my current kit) and have the options with the medium format to take more special shots than with my 35mm Contax camera.

Biff, I ended up going back to Flickr. Seems less hassle and I prefer getting the feedback from others on my photos instead of just a view count. My website will remain live until it expires.

Dec 22, 2012 at 03:49 PM
Peire
• • • • •
p.8 #18 · p.8 #18 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

carstenw wrote:
Hmm, the 6x6 and 6x7 shots have the aspect ratios of each other...

Naughty,naughty Adlerauge !

You're right Carsten.I described the photographs wrongly but now it's corrected.6x7 has been cropped at the side so it looks like 6x6,but it isn't.

Again 6x7,the same lens/film/camera - this time uncropped I belive.(I made these photographs back in 2006 so some details has now disappeared from my mind )

http://zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1356212341.SEQ.3.jpg

http://zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1356212341.SEQ.2.jpg

And Mamiya 6MF with the same lens

http://zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1356212341.SEQ.1.jpg
http://zeissimages.com/gallery/951/med_U951I1356212340.SEQ.0.jpg

Edited on Dec 22, 2012 at 05:00 PM · View previous versions

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:45 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.8 #19 · p.8 #19 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

Very nice colours and compositions! Are these also Velvia 50?

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:47 PM
Peire
• • • • •
p.8 #20 · p.8 #20 · Getting Unstuck - How do you re-motivate yourself?

carstenw wrote:
Very nice colours and compositions! Are these also Velvia 50?

Yes.At the end of "my" film era (1999-2006) I used exclusively Velvia for all my camera systems/formats.

Dec 22, 2012 at 04:58 PM
       9       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

9       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.