Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Utah has had a horrible season and last night's home closer fit that characterization perfectly. Here's hoping some significant changes are in place by the start of next year's run. In the meantime, here are 14 images from last night's game. C&C welcome. It'll be nothing but NBA for the foreseeable future...

3. Ka'Deem Carey rushed for 204 yards and became the nation's leading rusher.

4. John White III set a Utah record for most 100-yard rushing efforts

10. Utah's defensive tackle Star Lotulelei remains a top-10 (some say top-5) prospect in the upcoming NFL draft

14. Do not.....I repeat, do not try this at home.

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:57 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Nice Russ. Some of them look a bit more red than others (this is on my uncalibrated monitor at work and I'm just comparing one to the others).

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #3 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Russ,

I have to say that I am disappointed....disappointed that Utah football is over. I look forward to seeing how you cover the games each and every week. Love the variety. Love the color. Love the sharpness. Love the pearls you mix in (see photo 2) that show that sports is all about people. Some of them just happen to be wearing helmets and shoulder pads.

Have a great season in the NBA. Can't wait for gymnastics to start now.

Rick

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:44 PM
gschlact
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Bravo. I assume you are now officially enjoying and dialed in on the 1dx?

Guy

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:56 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #5 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

6 and 14 are my favs excellent all around...saw your pic on front page of espn the other day of the basketball huddle

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Thanks, Caleb. I set a Kelvin temp that worked pretty well, but I couldn't find a way around the troublesome red-green balance, which seems to be different for each image, and sometimes even within different areas of the same image.

Rick: Thanks for the props! That little one's a cutie, isn't she? I'm starting to look forward to gymnastics as well. I was out for a run this morning and found myself strategizing about how I'll shoot the first meet.

Thanks, Guy. More dialed in now than the first time I shot with it, but I think there's a bit more fine-tuning to be done. Suffice it to say I'm loving the camera. The user interface alone has me stoked to own this baby.

Ben: Thanks! I hadn't seen the espn post, but found it after seeing your comment.

Nov 19, 2012 at 03:17 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Love #10. So hard to give the linemen some love. Were you reaching from the end zone? My best line attempts always catch them from the side and almost never get the eyes.

Sorry your team punked. UA didn't exactly live up to it's hype either.

Robert

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:18 AM
MakoShark
• • •
p.1 #8 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Wow... what a hell of a set to close out football. #4 is one of my favorites, I love the openness of it showing the play develop and breathe. Very powerful.

Some of the angles and lighting you caught were off the chain good. That 1DX and you are a perfect marriage! Have a great Turkey day!

Nov 19, 2012 at 02:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Russ, haven't been around lately, but looking through your latest threads has me realizing that we're all witnessing the evolution of a truly accomplished photographer. I guess it's the mark of someone who's totally on top of their game when every sport they shoot exhibits the same level of high quality as the sport they originally showed proficiency in (uh, that'd be gym, buddy). Obviously that takes dedication, passion, and no small measure of talent- qualities you just don't seem to run short on.

Pisses me off how good you are, but you've earned it. My hat's off to you, Mr. Utah.

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:33 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Robert: Yes, that was from the back of the end zone. I've been targeting this particular lineman all season, but this was one of the few times I was able to get his eyes while he was in his stance. As for UA, I was under the impression they were over-achieving this year. Certainly they are in much better shape than Utah. Thanks for your feedback.

Manny: Thank you! I'm becoming more and more fond of the 1Dx. Happy Turkey Day to you as well.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:29 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Tom D wrote:
Russ, haven't been around lately, but looking through your latest threads has me realizing that we're all witnessing the evolution of a truly accomplished photographer. I guess it's the mark of someone who's totally on top of their game when every sport they shoot exhibits the same level of high quality as the sport they originally showed proficiency in (uh, that'd be gym, buddy). Obviously that takes dedication, passion, and no small measure of talent- qualities you just don't seem to run short on.

Pisses me off how good you are, but you've earned it. My hat's off to
...Show more

Gosh, Tom, those are some mighty kind words and I thank you. Pisses me off how freaking creative you are, and I don't even think that makes us even (you win!)

Seriously, I appreciate your take and there's no doubt the amount of shooting I've done has contributed to the confidence I can bring to covering an event. Doesn't eliminate the stupid mistakes and the challenges, but I am finding it possible to come away with some solid photos. Gymnastics looms and, assuming I'm still 'the guy' for Utah, I will be there, trying to see the possibilities through your eyes. I'm looking forward to the 1Dx + 200 f/1.8 combo. The full frame should give me just enough extra space to use the 200 in ways that weren't possible before. We'll see....

Thanks again, Mr. SoCal.

Nov 21, 2012 at 06:35 PM
fmrnykr

p.1 #12 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Russ,

Canon makes a 200 mm f/1.8? That must be some big, heavy glass.

Love your shots, BTW. Just can't wait to see the bokeh with that f/1.8.

Bob

Nov 23, 2012 at 05:36 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Thanks, Bob. It's an old lens, released in 1988. But it's a beauty and while you're right about it being heavy, and it probably isn't balanced as well as it could be on its tripod mount (especially compared to some of the newer glass), it holds a special place in the hearts of just about anyone who has owned one of these babies. Here's a link to what Canon Canon Camera Museum has to say about it.

Nov 23, 2012 at 06:06 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

Russ....+1 to Tom's comments. You are putting up consistent....outstanding work. Your eye for the action and the right shot to profile is all skill and talent. This is a nice mix of the various elements of the game and you captured it well. These really show how much of a "chiseled" specimen #15 is. The guys is jacked.

Great work.....Can't wait for gymnastics.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:59 PM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Last Football: Arizona @ Utah

nice set

Nov 23, 2012 at 09:32 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password