Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · L Brackets and Sidekick Style Gimbal Adapters

Red Rover
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · L Brackets and Sidekick Style Gimbal Adapters

I am learning to use a tripod more and I am looking at an L bracket and gimbal adapter for my D7000 with Nikon battery grip.

The Wimberly Sidekick and other brand adapters to allow gimbal style use of a standard ball head looks like something I would like to try rather than buying a dedicated gimbal head right now. The Sidekick has a vertical attachment so I assume that an L bracket is necessary to shoot horizontal shots for BIF photos.

My question is about flexing of the L bracket when it is attached with the weight hanging off the side of a Sidekick rather than sitting directly over a ball head when shooting vertical off a standard tripod set up.

Is this an issue or no real concern?

I'm looking at the RRS L bracket since it seems to allow access to the side ports and battery. The Kirk bracket does not allow left side access.

Edit: longest lens I'm using right now is 70-300 VR which is pretty light.

Edited on Nov 18, 2012 at 04:22 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:16 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · L Brackets and Sidekick Style Gimbal Adapters

L bracket is not necessary, one simply rotates the AS equipped tripod collar to orient body to landscape/BIF posture.
You'll find it next to impossible to "balance" the Sidekick trying to mount at the camera body.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:21 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · L Brackets and Sidekick Style Gimbal Adapters

I don't have a collar on the 70-300 VR. I will look to see if one is available. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:23 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · L Brackets and Sidekick Style Gimbal Adapters

If you're using it at 300mm...the tripod collar from the AF-S 300 f4 will work (w/teflon strips)
I did the mod on one I found on the B&S here for $35. Guys get the Kirk replacement, and often sell the OEM.
However, you'll still have balancing problems...it'll work with better a BushHawk.
Don't have a pic handy of the 70-300 collar mod and the BushHawk, but here it is shown with the StedyEddy.
**This could work with the Sidekick if you could live with the aforementioned balance issue.
(just add an A.S. lens plate)

Nov 18, 2012 at 04:27 PM
Red Rover
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · L Brackets and Sidekick Style Gimbal Adapters

Tha.ks TM. I didn't even consider the balance issue. Looks like I need a collar now.

Nov 18, 2012 at 05:11 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password