Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

You can always partition your HD and run Mountain Lion on one of the partitions until you get it how you want......keep SL on the other.

Jan 26, 2013 at 07:55 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

I finally upgraded to ML because my new drobo 5D would not work on thunderbolt with SL.

It appears that ML cannot copy a system volume to a disk image and be able to boot from it. I believe that SL could but until I got the drobo I never needed to do that.

The new gestures in ML seem to have interfered with the gestures I used to control firefox in SL (e.g. for going back or forward a page). I haven't had a chance to fix that yet but I expect to move over to Safari soon as part of a push to go as much Apple as I can and still get the job done.

I hate that I can't synchronise with my iPad without puting at least some of my data onto the cloud. I want it to live on my computer where it belongs - not on Apple's servers.

Something that ML probably does better than SL is the filevault. I have yet to use it because I'm still coming to grips with my drobo but I want to encrypt some things without encrypting everything. SL does not offer that option.

- Alan

Jan 28, 2013 at 04:47 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Hi Alan,
I also ran into the problem you described where I can't seem to boot off a system volume copy. I copied my SL volume to an empty partition, booted SL on that partition, upgraded the system volume to ML and this worked until reboot: The MP booted SL again.

Also, in ML the users behaved funnily, there were three "unknown users". After a google search I found out this is common behaviour when upgrading to ML.

Maybe a fresh ML install would work wonders?

Alan maybe using Dropbox would be a viable option for you? Your data will reside on your hard drives. You will have to pay though.

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:20 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Of course a fresh ML (with migration) works better. No question about that.

But I thought I would mention that this is the very reason I decided to remove all internal boot drives from my system and go with USB devices. Mr. Mac doesn't like seeing multiple OS X boot devices - and it can cause problems. I think I remember Apple specifically recommending against the practice - I know for sure they did from the early releases of OS X all the way back to the very early versions of MacOS - not sure about now tho. I have the OS installed on a number of thumb-drives and several rotational media drives which insert into one of several cradle bays - externally.

I think it's pretty cool that the Mac Pro computer itself has no boot options at all and won't start without one of these external components. Security-wise now it really is impossible for someone else using this system to mess up my settings, accounts, or app installations. They have their own "key" - an entirely different installation of the OS - with all their own settings and apps in use while mine are completely removed from the system. It's also pretty flexible for mission specific activities where the entire environment can be customized and tuned for a given task range - and the whole environment can be changed out for another with the insertion of a different thumb-drive (and a re-boot).

While I haven't taken this step yet, I think RAID 0 sets of the cheaper 128GB thumb drives can be used to gain back the tiny bits of speed which are lost as a result of this configuration as well. And for about $150 a fast solution already exists which will make this easy and affordable. I dunno if I'll go the RAID 0 thumb-drive way or not but what I'm doing now sure seems like a nice way to do things. I'm digging it. And if I could get two or three hundred MB/s from it with a total capacity of 500GB or 1TB that would make it all the better!

Edited on Jan 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:00 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

For printing drivers look at GIMP.

Try Carbon Copy Cloner for making a bootable drive.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:12 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

OSX can handle booting off multiple drives if you set it up right.
you can even dual boot macs to Windoze (boot camp) if you want to deal with M$.

Carbon Copy Cloner will clone from one volume to another correctly. Make sure you have the latest version.

Jan 31, 2013 at 05:57 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

It's spelled "Windows" if you don't want to come off as a immature adolescent jerk. Really "M$" coming from a Apple supporter, amazing.

Jan 31, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

I thought for sure it was "Windoze"... Are you sure?

Of course Microsloth or Microshit work for me....

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:32 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

If you ask your mommy maybe she'll let you stay up past 8 and play with abqnmusa.

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:00 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

OK I will be careful to not offend any Microsoft Windows fanboys

Feb 01, 2013 at 11:06 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

While I think Windows Seven is slightly better than OSX (a personal opinion that I admit could go both ways) I use both and am not a fanboy. But the constant mindless hateful bashing by Apple fanboys is old and tired
and the only thing it accomplices is to reinforce the dislike for Apple fans. Do Apple fanboys a favor and extol the virtues of OSX instead of the attitude of my OS is good because yours sucks, they both suck for different reasons.

Feb 01, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Nah, it's Linux users who do all the bashing. Apple fanboys are too busy trying to get their hardware competitive to care about Windoze. We already know that: "OS X is good because yours sucks" and that "they both suck for different reasons."

But I don't think they both suck in equal proportions in only different areas. The architectural theme and organization of the two have had the same basic differences since their respective beginnings and Win8 (or win7) versus OS X 10.8 is no different in that regard.

One is elegant (meaning simplistic) and stable and the other is elaborate (meaning complex and convoluted) and volatile. That's just the basic nature of the two beasts. If a person dislikes elegance and favors the elaborate there's typically no hate from the other side. And visa-versa the same holds true. Poking a little fun at users is well, fun. And of course M$ as a company should IMHO be hated by all of humanity for the evil they do! Apple users for a long time thought they could say these things with impunity but for those paying attention it's become apparent that this is not actually the case and Apple (again as a company) is really no less evil.

I kinda find the hypersensitivity a bit strange tho. I doubt you will physically be affected by the use of a dollar sign next to a capitol M. Wait, let's test that theory:

M$, M$ M$... tell me when you explode into bits... M$ M$ M$ M$ M$...

Feb 01, 2013 at 01:10 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Thanks for proving my point

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Well, I'm beginning to find that the best solution is to take up knitting or woodwork or anything but computers. I had a terrible time with MS stuff - and I mean their software and OS rather than any hardware - but Apple are going the same way with their mindless "do it our new way or no way" approach. A very long time ago (decades, which = ages in computer years) I learned that computers are only really beneficial if they do what you want and need rather than force you to want or need what they can do. Apple don't know this but they don't care either. Both Apple and MS are and have been making changes that are only needed for them to look as if they have a new and different product rather than because the new way is superior for the customers. And most brand new customers don't care anyway but it annoys me.

The worst part is that I cannot abandon computers without also abandoning photography. Pity.

Feb 01, 2013 at 03:42 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

While I couldn't wouldn't do it there is FILM you could enjoy photography and never touch a computer again. We use the tools given us, that is until we take a baseball bat to the infernal things

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:27 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Every OS has its set of issues. I support Microsoft servers at work (system admin). Doing that can make you a bit doubtful of the software provider (Microsoft).
On the desktop I agree that Windows 7 is a big improvement.

OSX on my Mac Pro has given reliability I never could get with Windows. Although Windows 7 was much better.

no issues with these photo apps on OSX

Canon Digital Photo Professional
Photoshop CS6
AutoPano Giga 3.0
EXIF Changer
Zerene Stacker
HDRtist Pro
Snapheal
ColorStokes
Canon Map Utility

Feb 01, 2013 at 04:35 PM
rabbitmountain
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

How did this topic get to the point of comparing Windows and Mac OSX? I use both and they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Yesterday I installed a fresh copy of ML and so far I can't find any issues. I installed it on an internal 128GB OWC Mercury Electra SSD that is connected to the free SATA connector in the optical drive bay. There are no issues booting off that drive or going back to booting off one of the other internal drives with Mac OSX SL. Next I will install some trial versions of Lightroom 4.3 and PS CS6 because I wish to keep SL boot partition for now.

I talked to an Apple retailer two days ago who said he didn't use iCloud because he didn't like the idea of data residing on Apple servers. He uses DropBox instead to sync his data between his devices. I must say I do like the idea of syncing Address Book contacts, so maybe if I switch all of my Apple devices to Lion or higher, I will just use both iCloud and DropBox simultaneously.

Feb 02, 2013 at 04:12 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

drop box stores your data on their servers until you move it off
-- so no different than Icloud

Feb 04, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

WAYCOOL wrote:
Thanks for proving my point

No problem!

Alan321 wrote:
Well, I'm beginning to find that the best solution is to take up knitting or woodwork or anything but computers. I had a terrible time with MS stuff - and I mean their software and OS rather than any hardware - but Apple are going the same way with their mindless "do it our new way or no way" approach. A very long time ago (decades, which = ages in computer years) I learned that computers are only really beneficial if they do what you want and need rather than force you to want or need what they can do.
...Show more

I agree with sentiment as well. I think the problem stems from the business model around these kinds of devices. An OS has become more of an end-user "program" that allows the machine certain functions and allows the user certain levels of access to those functions which is not at all ideal IMO. An OS rather, should be a sort of erector-set that enables us to build applications and environments. We can do this now by skewing code of course but that's a rather tired paradigm not to mention the learning curves and corporate controls implemented over what people come up with - like these "app stores" and such.

I've been involved with computers and computing since the teletype with tractor-feed fan-paper was the user interface and paper-tape was the storage medium of choice. By the time the first color monitors arrived on the scene replacing green and amber models, I thought for sure computer interfaces (Operating Systems) by now (actually by the early 2000's) would allow an almost total freedom in configuring the look and feel as well as configuring functionality.

There are such erector sets available and shell scripting is no joke either (especially for those who can skew a little code now and then) but I thought systems would be built up around the idea of maximizing end user access and control of such things rather than them hanging on and hanging out in the fringes of geekdom.

Oh well, I guess people would rather pay software vendors thousands of dollars rather than dragging a few icons around on a graphical flow-chart sorta thing. Whatever...

Feb 05, 2013 at 01:53 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Is Mac OSX Mountain Lion ok for photographers ?

Bifurcator wrote:
Nah, it's Linux users who do all the bashing. Apple fanboys are too busy trying to get their hardware competitive to care about Windoze. We already know that: "OS X is good because yours sucks" and that "they both suck for different reasons."

But I don't think they both suck in equal proportions in only different areas. The architectural theme and organization of the two have had the same basic differences since their respective beginnings and Win8 (or win7) versus OS X 10.8 is no different in that regard.

One is elegant (meaning simplistic) and stable and the other is
...Show more

I've used OSX and I don't think its complex and convoluted and volatile at all. It has the same feel as running a good Linux or Unix distro, and if Apple ever sold OSX as a stand-alone OS that could be installed legally on any compter, I would likely own a copy or two. And I also agree, Windows 7 is elegant and stable, and I have grown to like it almost as much as I like Solaris.

I kinda find the hypersensitivity a bit strange tho. I doubt you will physically be affected by the use of a dollar sign next to a capitol M. Wait, let's test that theory:

M$, M$ M$... tell me when you explode into bits... M$ M$ M$ M$ M$...

Given the horrendous markups Apple imposes on the hardware it puts inside their boxes, its a little ironic that you choose to pick on MS as the money-grubbing bandits. Really, a 5 generations old GT120 GPU costs how much again?

Feb 05, 2013 at 02:13 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.