Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2012 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Dudewithoutape wrote:
There was also an early review on here about how the 6D has some of the best AF in low light period (-3EV, right?)

A guy spent five minutes with the camera at Photokina - with the SD card slot taped.
I don't think I'll spend any money based on this 'review' (sorry, Ralph ).

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:24 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

chez wrote:
Well if the noise and softness are there...then it's not moaning, but rather just outlining the facts. I think before we all pee our pants over the first few photos, let's wait until the camera gets into the right hands and get proper testing done on it. A few handheld slow shutter jpeg images tells you squat about the capabilities of the sensor.

No, people love to bitch, cry 'n moan 'til the cows come home 'n mama hollers whoa boy! It doesn't matter how good or bad that camera is. The armchair techno cheeks will be burning bandwidth with their sorrowful cries and whimpers of betrayal and opportunities lost. A few might even buy a 6D and tearfully pixel peek their grossly underexposed lens cap and cat portraits...

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:30 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:
A guy spent five minutes with the camera at Photokina - with the SD card slot taped.
I don't think I'll spend any money based on this 'review' (sorry, Ralph ).

Actually I think he spend 5 minutes with the 6D daily during a week of Photokina. Reminds me of my last GF...

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:32 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

A friend has a d600 , knows his stuff, and is very happy with it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 06:13 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

chez wrote:
Those are pretty strong words. I take it you are talking from experience using the D600 or are you just being an Internet parrot?

Will you buy the D600 given all the users' reviews on the net? I know I won't pay that kind of money just to tell you from experience what the D600 can or cannot do.

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 07:37 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:29 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:
So, the hopelessly inept (single-point) AF on the 6D is somehow better ?? You wish .

How is a single cross AF sensor (that goes to -3 eV) different from another whose (9) cross sensors (goes down to only -1 eV) are all clustered together in the middle?

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 07:44 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:32 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Geoff D F wrote:
Twin cards slots, on-board flash which can be used as a master, faster frame rate, bigger viewfinder, higher resolution.

Twin card slots: no use to me
On-board flash: can be handy, but I don't use flash for 99% of my shots... I'll take reduced weight (770 vs 850g) instead of on-board flash
Faster frame rate: 4.5 vs 5.5 fps, hmmm....
Bigger viewfinder: 97% VF + 0.71x magnification vs 100% VF + 0.7x magnification, really?
Higher resolution: 20 vs 24 MP, really?

I'll tell you what's really important. Sensor performance... we'll see if the 6D is the same old, same old disappointment from Canon...

Nov 19, 2012 at 07:37 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

thw2 wrote:
How is a single cross AF sensor (that goes to -3 eV) different from another whose (9) cross sensors are all clustered together in the middle?

By definition, nine AF points work with more data to identify focus.
No matter how good a single AF point is, it cannot do the job of nine AF points of similar quality.
Thinking otherwise is wishful (distorted?) thinking.

In general, the 6D will surely have excellent image quality. That’s a given.
The (essentially) single-point AF system, though, is a major letdown.
The 6D + 35L combo, for example, costs ~$3500 – and yet, I can't be confident that it will focus accurately.
Thanks, but no thanks.

Of course if one sticks to the 24-105/4L kit lens (or the new 24-70/4L), AF accuracy might not be an issue.
Still, Canon has no right to be so stingy with the AF - considering the prices they’ve been charging recently.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:01 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

chez wrote:
Those are pretty strong words. I take it you are talking from experience using the D600 or are you just being an Internet parrot?

Dust issues are pretty much confirmed by lens rentals I think it was.

AF issues according to Nikon users and digital rev (directly compared to d800 and 5d3) http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165190

Parrot maybe, but that doesn't automatically make it wrong.

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 08:21 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:18 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Gochugogi wrote:
Actually I think he spend 5 minutes with the 6D daily during a week of Photokina. Reminds me of my last GF...

As far I remember it was 3 times about 3-5 minutes and one about 10. It was in my daily break during work. Same guy spend 2 Minutes with D600 to know it´s not his camera.

- I am in this thread and created my own one (viewed 40.000 times the last 2 month) to find out more about 6D because it fascinated me and might be my next camera. D600 did not and will not be.

I do not purchase a camera because of its specs compared to others, but because it offers me the features I think I need. Most of this first "real life" pictures from yesterday are blured. Imo by motion (of the shooter). An 1/8th second is not holdable with an 24-105 easily (if it is) even at 24mm. My 24-105s IS never reached 3 stops. The sample shot at 1/40th and ISO 2500 looks great imo. Much better than all night shots from D600 I saw till now. I asked the guy, who put it online for a full frame and raw sample to check them.

It is funny, that some people here already talk about this camera is "outperformed", others try to ignore competitors issues with "arguments" (like "My friend is happy!").
I still wish to see more sample images and would love to see some raw samples, too. But only those spare sample images give me the feeling, that 6Ds new sensor design indeed might be able to "outperform" all existing sensors in terms of high ISO noise handeling. If it does this camera (imo) would be a bargain at € 1999.
I guess that Nikon knows well about and might fear this body. I can not see any other matter, why they reduced their D600 price about € 150 from its announcement to the day of its first delivery (few weeks after and 6D announcement) and further € 250 the following last two month. In addition their "fantastic" "D800" went down in price about another € 400 in the same time period, too.

Let´s see, what "the tide will bring".

one guy

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jorkata
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
AF issues according to Nikon users and digital rev (directly compared to d800 and 5d3) http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1165190

The guy is comparing the D600 to the D800.

And sooner or later someone in the Canon camp will compare the AF of the 6D vs the 5DIII.
Do we expect anything other than ... a miserable FAIL for the 6D in this comparison .

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:24 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:
The guy is comparing the D600 to the D800.

And sooner or later someone in the Canon camp will compare the AF of the 6D vs the 5DIII.
Do we expect anything other than ... a miserable FAIL for the 6D in this comparison .

Yes, I do. If 6Ds center AF point is reliable in "all" (what else should I shoot below moonlight?) light conditions, it would give me all power I need. At 35% lower price I do not see it as a "fail" in compare to an AF system that gives me less on one and more than this on the other side.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:32 AM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

n0b0 wrote:
I just checked with my local store, AU$2400.

You can get a 5D2 and 24-105 IS for $2500 though HK ebay sellers at the moment.

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:35 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

EOS20 wrote:
You can get a 5D2 and 24-105 IS for $2500 though HK ebay sellers at the moment.

Indeed. If you're only using center AF or if AF speed isn't that important or maybe you use mostly manual focus with custom focusing screen or on a tripod with LV, why would you buy the 6D over the older and cheaper 5D2 as long as it's still available?

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:43 AM
jorkata
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

Ralph Conway wrote:
If 6Ds center AF point is reliable in "all" (what else should I shoot below moonlight?) light conditions, it would give me all power I need.

The reliability and accuracy are the biggest 'IFs' here, especially with fast primes.

I'm not convinced that the 6D will be better than the 5DII in this respect - and the 5DII does not have a reputation for stellar AF ability (despite being widely used professionally).

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:44 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

You may trust me or not. I do trust me. The 5D II AF was working excellent for me (I was using center point only). And the 6D AF felt as good but faster in usual conditions and was working much better and more reliable in worse light.

My "if" concerned your previous post and comparisment to the 5D III AF system, jorkarta.

Edited on Nov 19, 2012 at 09:07 AM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2012 at 08:52 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

n0b0 wrote:
Indeed. If you're only using center AF or if AF speed isn't that important or maybe you use mostly manual focus with custom focusing screen or on a tripod with LV, why would you buy the 6D over the older and cheaper 5D2 as long as it's still available?

Higher ISO capabilities, no banding at high ISO, silent mode, WIFI. Each of this would justify the € 300 price difference. But I do not shoot from tripods neither life view. I shoot handheld, using the viewfinder.
So higher sensitivness of the center point is important to me in combination with higher ISO capabilities. Less weight and smarter size is important. Better working (they do) outer AF points ar no need, but welcome of course. I already own a 5D II that did a great job. But even if I do not I would prefere to add € 250 (price difference here) to get the camera that fits my needs better.
If I would not own one and the price would go down to 1250 for a new 5D II I would think about purchasing one, I guess. But I would still dream of a 6D, I guess.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:06 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

jorkata wrote:
By definition, nine AF points work with more data to identify focus.
No matter how good a single AF point is, it cannot do the job of nine AF points of similar quality.
Thinking otherwise is wishful (distorted?) thinking.

For tracking purposes, I agree with you. But for single point AF, it does not matter if I use the center cross AF point on the D600, or the one right next to it. No difference to me.

However, I have to admit that not having cross sensors on the periphery is a major let-down (in this case for BOTH 6D and D600), especially after my awesome AF experience with the 5D3.

jorkata wrote:
I'm not convinced that the 6D will be better than the 5DII in this respect - and the 5DII does not have a reputation for stellar AF ability (despite being widely used professionally).

Field experience will reveal if the -3 eV sensitivity of the center AF point on the 6D is so much better than the -0.5 eV specification on the 5D2. I suspect there must be a strong basis for this.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:12 AM
ukkisavosta
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

I wonder... when was the last time we had a body announcement from Canon that sparked as much controversy as the 6D?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about this body, especially in the IQ department. I currently shoot a 60D, and I'm delighted about the 6D being practically identical in size (same dimensions, same weight), as I consider the 60D just about perfect in size and weight.

I do wish that the 6D would have programmable buttons. One of the things I miss from the 60D is the ability to evoke servo AF from the DOF preview button.

Jaakko

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:34 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Looks like someone in Japan already starts using 6D

ukkisavosta wrote:
I wonder... when was the last time we had a body announcement from Canon that sparked as much controversy as the 6D?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing more about this body, especially in the IQ department. I currently shoot a 60D, and I'm delighted about the 6D being practically identical in size (same dimensions, same weight), as I consider the 60D just about perfect in size and weight.

I do wish that the 6D would have programmable buttons. One of the things I miss from the 60D is the ability to evoke servo AF from the DOF preview button.

Jaakko

- Last time I remember was four years ago, when 5D II was announced. People cried about 5D IIs "mediocre" AF. Next to that 5D II offered the best resolution/IQ/price ratio (at least for the following three years) and video, what made it one of if not the most successfull FF body in the market.

Based on this one can expect, that the 6D might have a great future

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:44 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password